Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is Sheila's B'day
she is now a big girl 1 year old...
and I got her a real beef bone and a pig's ear and a real beef chewy as presents. I was sooo excited to give it to her. I usually give her the plastic or nylon imitation bones. But to my surprise she just sniff them and look at them but don't chew on them. I am desapointed realy cause she need things to chew on as she is not crazy about the nylon bones. How can I get her interested in the real thing. I have spread some peanut butter on the marrow of the beef bone to get her started and she did lick it but that was the extend of it. Her kibble are usualy chicken or beef or lamb flavor so she is aware of these flavor. same with her treats. I was thinking of soaking a corner or point of the pig's ear in hot water and also the end of the chewy in hot water to get her going as the flavor would be more enhance and the hide would be softer... What do you think.... Any suggestion would help...
Thank you soo much
Silver
FurkinZ

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
try the water thing..i had to do that once. once she gets a taste of it..it might get her going
just make sure u supervise her with it, to make sure she doesnt eat big piecesof it at once.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Mar 18 2005, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you want her to chew on these bones ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44339
[/QUOTE]
allo K&C's Mom
The reason I want her to chew on these is that she does not like the nylon bones much :new_Eyecrazy: and she has taken to chew on her hair
. she is chewing her hair on her front legs
and I want to distract her with the bones
. She is only a year old and she needs to occupy herself with her teething;) I was hoping the real thing would do it
but well
I have never used them before so I realy don't know about the smell. :eek: But if it makes her happy well I will put up with it
Better the pigs' ears then a short hair legged maltese.
I think

Time will tell

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
if she is chewing her feet, then she probably has alleries. might be a good idea to find out what she is allergic to.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hi, If she is a year old, shouldn't she be finished with teething? Seems like something else is going on with her and what Lady M says is good advice... there is something causing her wanting to chew her leg....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree with Lady M and K&C's mom. At one year, she should be finished with teething. Chewing on her feet is a classic sign of allergies.

My Lady has both air borne and food allergies. Did you know that corn, wheat and soy products are the top 3 allergy causing ingredients in dog food? And many, many of the commercial foods conatin these ingredients.

What are you feeding her?

Dr. Mike has some great information on allergies in dogs.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dallergy.html

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Not all dogs are into chew toys. Food dispensing treats might be a better choice for her. Busy Buddy makes a few different ones, there are also kongs, buster cubes, and treat balls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You All For The Great Responses.

For toys I do have lots of difficulty to find good ones for her.
She does not play with them I have try soo many
. The plush ones all she does is pull the fur out and eat it by the next day they are bare
. The cotton ones she chew the seams till the stuffing comes out and if she gets lucky she eats it
. She does not like squikies she is a affraid of the the noise
. She has a kong that she enjoy when she gets to the food right a way but if she works at it more then 5 minutes she gives up
. She loves my cat's toys but she tears them apart and eat the stuffing
hummm no good
but she does love the rattle in the cat mices. I want her to have toys that she can shake run with and have fun with
without destroying but I cannot find
. The toys JMM is discribing must be American cause I cannot find them here I have been looking for them I am in Toronto Canada, specialy the treat balls, nothing here, OH, I found one but it was for big dog with big big treats, they cannot get for small dogs 'I ask' :new_Eyecrazy: .
For her teeth I should have made myself clear
she has finish teething all right. She saw the vet on the 28 December and she is in perfect teeth health all baby teeth fell out
. She still likes to chew on things like stuff toys and nylon bones but she never did like the nylon bones much
Beside isn't it good for cleaning their teeth to chew on bones
?
Hope this is a bit more clear

You all have beautiful BABIES

I think we are sooo lucky

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Ripping up toys is NORMAL DOG BEHAVIOR. That's what most dogs do! Tennis balls for fetch and tough rubber toys might be worth a try. Mikey has one stuffy he loves to retriever and also rips up. I just give him one at a time and keep vacuuming! Rope toys might also be good for her. Check out some of the agility tugs at cleanrun.com. Your local agility or flyball club in Canada should have something similar or know where to get it.

If you find someplace that sells Gentle Leaders, they should be able to order any Busy Buddy toys for you. Premier makes both.
http://www.busybuddytoys.com/
There is the website to see what types of toys they have. She might like the Groove Thing quite a bit. It will entertain her and take time to lick the food out, but it is not a huge struggle. The twist and treat you can also really make easy or hard depending on the dog. If she gets board with having to work hard, make it easier.

I use the little Tricky Treats Ball
http://www.omegapaw.com/TrickyTreatBall.html
I believe this company is in Canada.

Other food games you can play are hiding her ration around the house and setting her loose to find it, making trails of her food around the house, hand feeding her each piece having her do something for them.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Silverstardust@Mar 19 2005, 07:15 PM
For toys I do have lots of difficulty to find good ones for her.
  She does not play with them I have try soo many
. The plush ones all she does is pull the fur out and eat it by the next day they are bare
.  The cotton ones she chew the seams till the stuffing comes out and if she gets lucky she eats it
Gosh, I would be careful about her eating her toys.

When mine start to get the toy ripped and the stuffing is no longer contained, I throw the toy away or try to mend it to make it last a little longer.

It cannot possibly be safe and healthy for her to eat the stuffing or fabric from her toys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 19 2005, 09:45 PM
Ripping up toys is NORMAL DOG BEHAVIOR. That's what most dogs do! Tennis balls for fetch and tough rubber toys might be worth a try. Mikey has one stuffy he loves to retriever and also rips up. I just give him one at a time and keep vacuuming! Rope toys might also be good for her. Check out some of the agility tugs at cleanrun.com. Your local agility or flyball club in Canada should have something similar or know where to get it.

If you find someplace that sells Gentle Leaders, they should be able to order any Busy Buddy toys for you. Premier makes both.
http://www.busybuddytoys.com/
There is the website to see what types of toys they have. She might like the Groove Thing quite a bit. It will entertain her and take time to lick the food out, but it is not a huge struggle. The twist and treat you can also really make easy or hard depending on the dog. If she gets board with having to work hard, make it easier.

I use the little Tricky Treats Ball
http://www.omegapaw.com/TrickyTreatBall.html
I believe this company is in Canada.

Other food games you can play are hiding her ration around the house and setting her loose to find it, making trails of her food around the house, hand feeding her each piece having her do something for them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44517
[/QUOTE]

WOW JMM, THANK YOU SOO MUCH THESE ARE GREAT ACTIVITY TOYS.

I specialy like the twist dispenser one
. sounds just perfect. I do think it will keep her busy for a while
. The rope toy she had before and she chew the rope and eat it; it ends up in her pooh and long tread hanged out was quite worried.
and she has a lot of though rubber toys but she just don't like them don't even look at them -_- .
As soon as my check comes in my order is out
. I am on desability so I have to wait for it :
As far as hiding her food around the house
unfortunately Sabre the cat beats her to it :D . He prefer dog food to cat food
specialy treats.
and of course Sheila prefers his food
they sure keep me on my toes :new_Eyecrazy:
She does a few tricks for her treats like down, sit, sit pretty, a bit of dancing.
I even have Sabre sit for his treat as well :D He makes me soo proud
I must say I just love my babies
Thank You soo much you are sooo verry helpfull.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You will love the Busy Buddy Twist and Twist! I highly recommend it! I got one for Lady when they first came out (about a year ago) and it is still her favorite. You can set it to different degrees of difficulty depending on her motivation and skill (Lady is an expert at treat dispensing toys).

Lady also loves her Buster Cube. We've had that for almost 5 years and it's still a favorite. It works great with kibble.

http://www.bustercube.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts