Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Bella, my sister's girl. She bought her from a pet store in the mall before she knew any better. :embarrassed: I wanted to show everyone how her tear stains completely went away b/c my sister home cooks for her. :clap: These are bad photos taken from a cell phone but Bella's face is ice white! Bella also has allergies and home cooking made all her symptoms vanish. I think I will be home cooking very soon. :thumbsup:

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/Jetersmommy/Bella11-26-09-1-1.jpg?t=1269921057 Before
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/Jetersmommy/SunandBella-1.jpg?t=1269921004 After

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Wow what a difference! Can you post some of her receipes? I am thinking about homecooking for Delilah once she is an adult. Bella is a beauty!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Really a big difference, but since I have changed Ullana's food from dry to wet, her tear stain is gone and also the teeth stain.
I think that home cooking is really healthy, too!

Please make sure that Bella gets all the vitamines and minerals she'll need.
Thanks for sharing!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
wow what a big difference! Food totally makes a difference. My girls eat little trays as well as dry food and for a while id stopped giving them a certain type of tray (a very well known one in the UK) . I gave them some last week as i know they love it and were getting bored with their other food and this week the stains are back!! Big style! I cant believe it as they were all looking great - now they are really bad again - sigh

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
How old was Bella when those two photos were taken? I only ask because most puppies stain from teething and it naturally clears up after they are 1yr old or so. I have heard of Malts that stop staining after homecooking though! I'm not sure what it is that makes them stop staining sometimes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow what a difference! Can you post some of her receipes? I am thinking about homecooking for Delilah once she is an adult. Bella is a beauty!

This is what my sister feeds Bella along with some tips:
Wild alaskan salmon, sweet potatoes, kale and a you have to get a vitamin and mineral supplement. I use Solid Gold Seameal. Steamed green beans, celery, or very small amount of broccoli, or little bit of banana for snacks.

Microwave the sweet potatoe. Boil the salmon. Steam all veggies.

You can make enough for 3 days and just reheat.

Just eliminate little bit of his regular food while adding little bit of new food. Remember he'll diarreha if you switch too fast. Or give regular food and give him little bit of new foods as a snack for his system to get use to it. Get the seameal. Petco is the only place that really carries Solid Gold. It also has alot of enzymes and good stuff for dogs with white coats.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How old was Bella when those two photos were taken? I only ask because most puppies stain from teething and it naturally clears up after they are 1yr old or so. I have heard of Malts that stop staining after homecooking though! I'm not sure what it is that makes them stop staining sometimes.

Bella is now 9 mths old. Her first pic was taken on Nov. 26, '09 so she was 5mths old. I added more pics, start of tear stains thru today. Time period from first pic to second pic is only a couple weeks. So I doubt it is due to teething b/c she stayed clear from 5mths old to still today. She could be lucky too. Good conscious effort on my sister's part and luck has made it possible. For her this really worked and I wanted to share it with all of you.:two thumbs up:

My sister has also taken Bella to a specialty dermatologist for animals. She is also in the aesthetic and cosmetic industry so she has a lot of knowledge as far as what is good for humans so she applies a lot of that to her Bella. :) She only washes her eyes with collyrium.
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/Jetersmommy/Bella11-26-09-1-1.jpg?t=1269965509 (pic taken Nov 26 '09)

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/Jetersmommy/BellaDec10-1-1.jpg?t=1269967136 (pic taken Dec 10 '09)

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/Jetersmommy/BellaJan1.jpg?t=1269966916 (pic taken Jan 1 '10)

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/Jetersmommy/BellaJan25.jpg?t=1269965444 (pic taken Jan 25 '10)

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/Jetersmommy/SunandBella-1.jpg?t=1269966095 (pic taken March 26 '10)

Btw, she only buys organic and tries all the foods herself first. :wub:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow! that's amazing. please do find out what some of your sister's recipes are so we can try them out, too!

I asked my sister what she gives Bella for treats this is what she told me:

For snacks I give Bella: Bananas-good source of vitamin c and potassium, also Blueberries-great antioxidant. Celery-Rich in Vitamin C and other good stuff. Green beans-low in calories and loaded with Vitamin K, Vitamin C and other great nutrients. Carrots. Bella loves apples, but I never let her eat the skin or core. Apple seeds have cyanide in them and toxic to dogs. So only little bits of apple itself. No more packaged stuff at all. You can give romo organic peanut butter too on all his veggies. He'll lick it all up!! Bella loves the crunching of the veggies.

You can also give him boiled chicken or lamb once in a while to switch up his meals. Bella loves the sweet potato and salmon meal. She also loves the flavor of the Seameal. She jumps and skips everytime she sees me cooking her meals.

Try not to give Romo any grains. Not a natural thing for dogs to eat.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
It's really incredible the change. She's so white now.

I saw a "Maltese" (I use that term very loosely) today at a pet store (while buying some Nature's Miracle) that had horrific staining- all over the head/face and up and down every leg/paw. It was so sad. I've never seen a poor little dog so covered with stains. The owners need to put in a SOS to your sister for some advice.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
wow, your baby looks sweet. I am happy to hear home-cooking makes such a big difference. I bet it tastes better too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Abby was spayed at 6 months and her eyes tears began to stain. I tried the distilled water and a power I added to her food, but nothing worked. Two weeks ago a friend told me about sweet potatoes. I cooked the sweet potatoes, mashed it, and store it in the refrigerator. At first I heated it and now I just add a cold table spoon to every meal. She eats it up! She has been on the sweet potato diet for 2 weeks and she is not longer producing tears that stain.

Try it!

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is what my sister feeds Bella along with some tips:
Wild alaskan salmon, sweet potatoes, kale and a you have to get a vitamin and mineral supplement. I use Solid Gold Seameal. Steamed green beans, celery, or very small amount of broccoli, or little bit of banana for snacks.

Microwave the sweet potatoe. Boil the salmon. Steam all veggies.

You can make enough for 3 days and just reheat.

Just eliminate little bit of his regular food while adding little bit of new food. Remember he'll diarreha if you switch too fast. Or give regular food and give him little bit of new foods as a snack for his system to get use to it. Get the seameal. Petco is the only place that really carries Solid Gold. It also has alot of enzymes and good stuff for dogs with white coats.
Make sure you do not feed kale to a dog daily. It can cause hypothyrodism in dogs, if you do this!!! (broccoli as well)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Abby was spayed at 6 months and her eyes tears began to stain. I tried the distilled water and a power I added to her food, but nothing worked. Two weeks ago a friend told me about sweet potatoes. I cooked the sweet potatoes, mashed it, and store it in the refrigerator. At first I heated it and now I just add a cold table spoon to every meal. She eats it up! She has been on the sweet potato diet for 2 weeks and she is not longer producing tears that stain.

Try it!
Hi, did Abby ever have an issue with tearstains prior to being spayed? I'm going to try the sweet potatoes for Buckeye. I got him in February and he had tear stains, then. I give him filtered water, quality food, use stainless steel feeding bowls, keep his face/eyes clean, etc. and they've gotten much better but are still an issue.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts