Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why all of a sudden is my Reginald (Originald) chewing stuff? Most of you know is 16 and blind/deaf with other health issues. The night he was sick he got a hold of a folder and chewed on the papers. Last week when I was sitting on the couch he started taking magazines from the coffee table. The other day he started taking the plastic dvd cases from a shelf. When I got up this morning he had got a hold of a paper cover for a dvd. These things are just not laying around on the floor.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Mary, have you checked his teeth to make sure they look okay? I'm not sure but the first thing that came to mind was that maybe his teeth are bothering him or something is going on in his mouth that he's trying to soothe by chewing?

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
When Sophie first got sick she started licking everything she could. She's still doing it to some extent. Recently, she was laying in her bed licking the curtains and then I heard a crunch, crunch - she was chewing the molding between the panes of glass on the door!!! She's seen a couple of vets about her Cushings and they all said that the licking (and now I'm wondering the chewing even) was probably because she was nauseous. One vet seems to think that it's a boredom issue. Since she's become ill she wants attention ALL of the time which is sometimes impossible - I think it's a combination of the two. Hope you figure it out and that everything's is okay.

Linda

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mary, have you checked his teeth to make sure they look okay? I'm not sure but the first thing that came to mind was that maybe his teeth are bothering him or something is going on in his mouth that he's trying to soothe by chewing?
I just had his teeth checked when he was at the vet and they are fine.

Has he shown any other odd behaviors besides chewing? Dogs can get the human equivalent of Alzheimer's.

Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome In Your Dog - Dogie Alzheimer's
Marj thanks for the info. My vet did bring that up before to me. I read the article and he has many symptoms especially barking and seperation issues.

When Sophie first got sick she started licking everything she could. She's still doing it to some extent. Recently, she was laying in her bed licking the curtains and then I heard a crunch, crunch - she was chewing the molding between the panes of glass on the door!!! She's seen a couple of vets about her Cushings and they all said that the licking (and now I'm wondering the chewing even) was probably because she was nauseous. One vet seems to think that it's a boredom issue. Since she's become ill she wants attention ALL of the time which is sometimes impossible - I think it's a combination of the two. Hope you figure it out and that everything's is okay.
Linda
He was tested negative for cushings. Thanks though.:thumbsup:

Oh I have no idea, but will keep your sweet fella in my thoughts. Bless him and you.
aaaahhhh thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean Cushings, I meant perhaps nausea or boredom. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Linda

I just had his teeth checked when he was at the vet and they are fine.

Marj thanks for the info. My vet did bring that up before to me. I read the article and he has many symptoms especially barking and seperation issues.

He was tested negative for cushings. Thanks though.:thumbsup:

aaaahhhh thanks!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't a clue what's going on but I do find it odd that he's craving paper. (Papers from folders, magazine paper and the paper slips from dvds.) When Fluffy went through a chewing phase, she chewed everything that would fit in her mouth.
This is a silly-dumb question, but is there anything nutritional in paper? When someone's body has low sodium, they can crave things like pretzels, crackers and salty food. This is also the theory behind the crazy cravings pregnant woman go through. So could it be possible that his body is lacking some sort of nutrient that he can get out of paper?

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Hi Mary,
I have an issue w/Kitzel chewing---it has always been there but is getting worse as he goes downhill w/the hip---(he will probably have surgery in US in Dec)---I THINK IT IS PAIN related. This week he started chewing on my desk chair legs, which are metal. When I cuddle w/him he "naws---not breaking skin" my arms, but very hard. Bone pain can be awful----I am a very observant and feel pretty much that this is what it is w/him.
Sorry to have to share something negative. I know how you feel about your baby. It is awful to see them suffer. Hugs to you both. sandi

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
There could be some vitamin/mineral deficiency. Just as older adults don't assimilate some vitamins/minerals well I'm sure older adult dogs can do this too. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Poor little guy. He could be doing that for several reasons, stress,old age related, even health reasons. Does he still enjoy chewing on the proper chewies,like bullysticks? Hope you find the cause & a solution for your dear little boy.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My vet just happen to call to see how Reginald was doing. I told him what he about his issues lately. He said it was most likely alzheimers.:blush:

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I've read that the med Anipryl sometimes helps and see it was mentioned in the link that Marj provided. I've also read about the omegas helping and that too was mentioned there. These might be worth a try?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts