Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,206 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Feb 4 2005, 09:46 AM
I'm so proud of Bella...she does better and better every week.  She learned how to stay and laydown and she's actually getting it.  I can't believe how much these classes have helped.  She listens to me (most of the time at least) and she's actually getting this stuff.  It helps when you have a good trainer.  She's awesome and if anyone is in Miami, I highly recommend her.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33337
[/QUOTE]

How's Bella doing with her training? Kirbie finally started his yesterday,but it was more going over all the information etc. I cant wait for next week.We get to do something!!

· Registered
3,206 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Feb 13 2005, 01:27 PM
That's wonderful.  We started puppy classes yesterday.  The most important things we learned were: 1.  never use their name when giving a command otherwise they will learn that their name means "treat" and you want them to associate action with treat; and 2. you need to do a "dominance hold" on them often when they are puppies.  A dominance hold is when you pin the puppy either on the floor, or against your body, until he/she stops struggling.  Wait a few seconds and then release the dog.  You should not use force to pin the dog, but gentle pressure.  Has anyone else heard of this?  I can say we've done it a few times since yesterday and our puppy hasn't bitten any of us once since.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35122
[/QUOTE]

I forgot you were going also!
Yup, they told me the same thing.The training were we go is based on Karen Pryor (sp?) She is excellant,she wrote Dont Shoot The Dog.That is the other book that has been recomended on here.Kirbie is a little older 10 1/2 mon. But he is so small I put him in Puppy Class.I have been working with him already,just wanted to make sure we were on the right track!! We will be all able to share how things are going!!

· Registered
3,206 Posts
I forgot to mention that they told us.. Do not use your dogs name as a reprimand.Do not say..Kirbie NO.Use other words for reprimands,such as Enough,EH-EH,Uh ,HEy etc.Teach them a specific word that means STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING>Instead of saying Kirbie NO ,..say Kirbie Enough etc. They said your dog/puppy should always associate his name with good things only. So you are right in what you said Kallie?Catchers Mom

· Registered
3,206 Posts
Yesterday was our second class.WE did massageing,Take It and Gotca
The Take it was training to ,take it on command/Gotca was to get ahold of their collars and say Gotca so you dont scare them if you have to get ahold of them in an emergency.
Im going to wait a week and see what I think of this Trainer she doesnt seem highly motivated and at this time im dissapointed.So hopefully next week will be better. There is only one other dog in class with us (A Lab Puppy)who REALLY needs training. He jumps around alot and scares Kirbie who thinks hes trying to get him, so Kirbie wants to bite him.Made Kirbioe VERY leary and nervious.If it isnt better next week I will ask for my money back and find a different class.I forgot to mentioned the Trainer was 45 min. late last week and really didnt even say she was sorry.

· Registered
3,206 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Feb 20 2005, 12:30 PM
Sheila, the trainer doesn't sound very motivated if she is 45 minutes late and doesn't even offer an apology.  How many classes can you attend and still get your money back?  From other's posts here I assume there are a lot of great classes out there, I'd keep hunting till I found one because it doesn't sound like your OR Kirbie are having much fun.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36533
[/QUOTE]
Im not sure what their policy is on refunds,BUT I know if things are not better next week We are OUTTA THERE. I have checked with other classes and they are WAY out of my price range 500.00 and up.So if this doesnt work out I will try to train out of the book myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.