Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this past Sunday Bella started acting strange. She was eating normal but she stayed right with me and as soon as I stopped walking she'd want to be held. Now she follows me around but never right under my feet. I just assumed she was scared or nervous. We've had so much going on with the hurricane and people coming in and out. So Monday morning she was fine again. Until today. She's right under me and not going to the potty normal. This leads to my new problem. I really don't want to take her to her regular vet. They've always been nice but I'm not allowed to go into the back so I'm not able to ask the vet any questions. I also don't want them to take her to the back and start running uneccessary tests cause money is a huge issue right now. So should I try to find a new vet this morning? If so what are the essential questions I should ask before taking her? Or should I just suck it up today and take her to the old one?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Do you have anyone who could recommend a vet to you? Obviously, Bella needs to be seen asap and now is not the time to be vet shopping.

Where do you live? Maybe someone here can recommend a vet.

When you say you aren't allowed to go to the back so you can't talk to the vet, do you mean they just take Bella from you and do whatever, without discussing it with you? That's outrageous, if that is the case.

If you do have to take Bella to this vet today, insist on speaking to the vet and giving your okay for any tests. I went through 5 vets when I first moved down here. One was "test crazy" also. Bella may need tests run, like bloodwork, but you have right to know what is being done and why. And don't be shy about asking how much they are.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
honestly if money was a HUGE issue and I didnt want to be charged for things without my consent.. I would tell them as soon as I get there... "listen, ..unless you want to be stuck with the bill... I DO NOT WANT anything done without my consent first. thank you"

haha.. I guess you should say it alittle nicer than that... but honestly.. voice your opinion to these people if you must stay at this vet right now. Dont let them push you around. My dad always tells me that because one vet office did that... well kinda... at least I was told everything before they did it.

Goodluck and let us know what happens!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Tiffany, don't forget I'm here in the Jackson area too, and I can tell you the vets I like working with.
Dr. Mike Ferriss in Clinton is great. I've known him for over 25 years (our girls played together as toddlers), and I would not hesitate to recommend him. He and his staff really love the animals. He saved my Lucy last year after the incompetent vet I was using almost killed her.
I also like Dr. Best in Florence. I don't think he is in today, as he is sort of semi retired, but there is a young vet there who is nice, I just don't know how much experience he has with small animals though. They have an emergency clinic I use, rather than the one in Jackson, where they have some really incompetent people in on some of the shifts.
Dr. Troy Majur in Jackson is good. He is over on the South Frontage road of I-20. He's been around for years. I've never used him, but the people who do think a lot of him.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice! I just got back from the vet. A new one just because this time I felt it was important for me to be in there. I think I'm paying for his time so he should give me his time. I'm just not very outspoken but I should be. Anyway, I was less than impressed. I think I could have learned more here from ya'll. She looked her over and said there isn't anything wrong with her. I'm the mom and I know she isn't acting normal. She gave her something to settle her stomach and threw in some antibiotics just cause she didn't know what is wrong. Ok some of you may disagree with me but I hate giving antibiotics when they aren't needed. I think they do more harm than good. Shouldn't she have asked what I was feeding her? Maybe suggest a bland diet? Am I expecting too much? I guess I'm just frustrated. Now I'm flat broke and frustrated. But, nothing major is wrong with Bella and that's the most important thing.

LucyLou, I will use one of the ones you suggested next time. I would have this time had I read your post before we left. I have been in Dr. Majure's office before. I get some of Bella's things at Animal Health right next to his office. I ran in there once to have them give her one of her puppy shots. They were very nice although I didn't get to meet Dr. Majure cause one of the nurses gave the shot. Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yes, you definately need to find a new vet. My Dr. Chessie always says, "Momma know best". As you just found out, good communication is a major part of your relationship with a vet. A good deal of my contact with my vets is over the phone and often doesn't even require a vet visit.

What did they give you for Bella's tummy? Reglan? If it's just a tummy upset, that and a bland diet (chicken and rice) should help her feel better. And to make you feel better, it could be something as simple as just a tummy upset. Maltese are almost more like small children than dogs and the slightest little thing being off, they will act like they are at death's door!

I'm glad Lucy Lou recommended some vets to you!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That's so great that you and LucyLou can chat about vets and stuff, I don't know any fellow Maltese people here in my area, at least not yet. I'm hoping to meet some at Bella's new groomer. I'm so glad I found the forum. My Bella and I hope that Your Bella feels better real soon

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I have never NEVER heard of Vet not aloowing you in when he (she) examined your animal!!!!!!!!! I would not stand for it!!!!!!!!!! I know my Vet well (and long) enough that he even lets me stay for treatments and I have stayed for emergency surgery (since I'm a nurse he knows I won't puke or pass out
). I never heard of such a thing!!!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 16 2005, 02:50 PM
I have never NEVER heard of Vet not aloowing you in when he  (she) examined your animal!!!!!!!!!  I would not stand for it!!!!!!!!!!  I know my Vet well (and long) enough that he even lets me stay for treatments and I have stayed for emergency surgery (since I'm a nurse he knows I won't puke or pass out
).  I never heard of such a thing!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100332
[/QUOTE]

I want to be there when my dogs are examined too. I have even gotten to assist with a c-section. I don't have much use for a vet that wants to keep what they are doing from you secret. I also don't have use for those who want to keep you coming back when it isn't necessary. In fact, I do a lot of my own dogs' care now because I do have a vet who works with me to do it at home, and he allows me to get the medications to give them from the vet supply place.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Please find a vet you like ASAP. Next time something happens you will know where to go. I hope Bella feels better soon.

Originally posted by tiffany@Sep 15 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm the mom and I know she isn't acting normal. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99903
[/QUOTE]
I know I have posted this before, but I'll post it again...When my doxie became sick, I took her to the vet only to have the vet tell me they would take some blood and call me in the morning. I was standing in the vet's office, holding my baby, pleading with her to do something more. I KNEW she was REALLY sick--she was my dog and I KNEW IT! She just kind of brushed me off and told me again that they would call when the results come back in. To make a long story short, my doxie died that night at the emergency vet. Now, I don't blame the original vet for her death, but I do blame them for making her suffer in her final hours!

Since then, I have gone to two other vets and finally found someone I like. I know that if this same or similar situation were to arise, this new vet would listen and do all that she could; not just take blood and practically push me out the door.

I know we don't want to think of tragedy happening, but it is best to be prepared if and when it does happen.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bella is back to her normal self today. She's driving me crazy wanting to play constantly. I've noticed that if I'm stressed or upset she picks up on it and it always comes out with an upset tummy. Yesterday our family recieved some terrible news and I'm just a ball of worry. I guess she saw it coming! We have a long rode ahead of us and I am concerned about her. And me. If she gets sick with every little upset....I don't even wanna think about it. I need a sad smiley.

Anyway, about our vet. No, for some reason they keep the parents out in the front. The first time I took her there was to get her rabies shot. They just came out and took her out of my arms. I figured well it wouldn't take long and they thought she'd behave better if I wasn't in her sight. Kinda funny she ended up peeing on the tech. Well it isn't funny cause she did it out of fear but she did get her revenge. I went back for her spay, to have her staples removed, and once again to fix a little something that was wrong with her scar. They've always been extremely friendly and helpful. If they would just let me in the back I'd stay with them. When I called to see about her yearly vaccine they told me to just come drop her off for it and I could pick her up later. I don't think so! We don't separate well. I will more than likely use one LucyLou recommended. The only thing is that they aren't real close. So I've got to have an emergency plan. Heaven forbid we ever need one.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't blame you at all. Lacey is with me at the vets and they know not to take her anywhere without me. The last time we were at the vets we had to see one that we had never seen before. I wasn't impressed with her at all. The other two vets listen to me and ask questions. This one wasn't interested in anything I had to say. I had to take Lacey back the next day, and thankfully we got to see our regular vet. When you find a vet that you like and you are comfortable with is wonderful.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Our darling of a vet ( love her to pieces!!) always has the "parents" come into the exam room.. whole family if that be the case.. She'd even say to me... come on around by me "mom" .. she might feel better if she can see you.. I will admit Missy was much better behaved when someone other than I was actually holding her ..
I think the only time I didn't accompany Missy was x-ray.. or days she had to be left. And when we'd come to pick her up.. she'd more often then not tell the gals to go get Missy and take her to mom..( or after awhile the gals would just do it.). even if I had to wait till she was finished with another client to actually discuss Missy with me.
I feel it is SO VERY IMPORTANT to have a good communication with the vet..AND!! that they respect you and you them!!.. after all you are a "team" that need to work together for the well being of the pooches.

Terry, Angel Missy, and little Naddie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts