Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Belle has been home almost a week, and definately thinks she rules the house! She thinks she is the boss! No, really, shes a great little puppy.... only a couple of accidents, and I have caught her everytime and got her outside. She wakes me up at 630 every morning ( :new_Eyecrazy: ) to go outside, which is great, but the fact that I work third shift is going to be hard. I cant get up at 630am when I have to be at work at 7pm to work a 12 hour shift.... Hopefully I can nap while she naps.
She loves our Great Dane, and the feeling is starting to be mutual. Jazmine (our GD) was actually afraid of her for awhile, but now she will lay near Belle and play with her in spurts of like, 2 minutes.
This lovable little girl has also won over her Daddy. The Daddy that 'didnt want anything to do with her' and said that 'she will be your dog... you will have to do EVERYTHING for her' and 'doesnt like little dogs'.... yeah, that didnt last. Now he wants to know where his baby is, and needs kisses before he leaves for work. Big softie!

She is getting better with baths, too. She got one the day she came home, (to 'make her mine' LOL) and went nuts. Then came the blow dryer and LOST IT!!!! But she got another one yesterday after a roll in the grass, and behaved a little better. She also lets me wipe at her little face, and mess with her paws. So at least I know when its time for grooming she'll do okay.
Well, I better be going for now, to try and catch some naptime with the baby. Just wanted to drop in and say hello, since I havent been on here since she came home! This is more work than I thought, but most definately worth it!!!!
Oh, the love of a malt..........

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ah, yes. The Macho Man Can't Be Loving On A Little Foo-Foo Dog syndrome! Closely followed by the Baby-Talking Dog Cuddling Mush Hearted Maltese Spoiler syndrome.

A classic case.............seen in all Maltese homes where a man resides. Also highly contagious in the general male population when assaulted by a kissing Maltese!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Glad Belle is settling in so well! Do be careful, though, about letting her play with your Great Dane. I have heard too many stories of Maltese being injured by larger dogs. I would never let the two of them alone together unsupervised no matter how much they seem to love one another. There is just too much of a size difference. Accidents do happen with this frail breed. Look at what just happened to Charmaine's Nibbler.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@May 9 2005, 11:03 AM
Ah, yes.  The Macho Man Can't Be Loving On A Little Foo-Foo Dog syndrome!  Closely followed by the Baby-Talking Dog Cuddling Mush Hearted Maltese Spoiler syndrome.

A classic case.............seen in all Maltese homes where a man resides.  Also highly contagious in the general male population when assaulted by a kissing Maltese!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61055
[/QUOTE]

So true, so true.
My boyfriend was like, "you need a german shepard, THAT is a dog, 6 lbs, is not a dog"...Now it's..."Where is my daughter? What is she doing? Does she miss me?"

I'm happy everything is going so well!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
So glad that everyone is happy with the new little babe. About the sleep thing - you tell her when its time to get up - Don't let her decide. My puppies slept until 9:30 this morning, when I got up. The phone even rang at 8:00 and they didn't make a noise. Here's what I'd suggest (it worked for me): But Belle in her crate at bedtime (or wherever she sleeps). Since she is still a baby, she probably can't hold her urine for a really long time. When she whimpers (before you are ready to get up), get up quietly and take her outside (or to the pad). Don't talk to her much except to quietly praise her for going potty. Then put her back into the crate and you roll over and go back to sleep. She may fuss for a few days, but you need to establish your routine. If you aren't using the crate it may be a little harder cause she'll try and play. Keep the room as dark as possible. I really think that you can get her to be on your schedule, rather than you being on hers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu+May 9 2005, 11:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pico's Parent
@May 9 2005, 11:03 AM
Ah, yes.  The Macho Man Can't Be Loving On A Little Foo-Foo Dog syndrome!  Closely followed by the Baby-Talking Dog Cuddling Mush Hearted Maltese Spoiler syndrome.

A classic case.............seen in all Maltese homes where a man resides.  Also highly contagious in the general male population when assaulted by a kissing Maltese!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61055
So true, so true.
My boyfriend was like, "you need a german shepard, THAT is a dog, 6 lbs, is not a dog"...Now it's..."Where is my daughter? What is she doing? Does she miss me?"

I'm happy everything is going so well!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61071
[/B][/QUOTE]

haha same here! my bf gets home earlier than me so he always calls to tell me he is going home to see "his girl"...

Glad everything is working out! I hope you can get her on your schedule. I'd do as msmagnolia suggests. I am having a hard time with mine getting up at 2am but I hope eventually she can hold it longer.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It'll pass. Sis has gotten to the point that when we get up we carry her Casita and all back out to the family room (at about 5:30-6:00 a.m.) we open the door and she usually stays in there until 8:00 or so. Joe will go in there once in a while and ask her "do you want to get up", she'll lift her head out of her bed and then flop it back down (she sleeps upside down with her head out of the bed). Then she gets up and pulls no less than 5 toys out of the box THEN she heads out the doggie door to potty........just remember who the Alpha in the house is Mom....YOU.....it gets better quicker than you think it will.....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@May 9 2005, 01:41 PM
So glad that everyone is happy with the new little babe.  About the sleep thing - you tell her when its time to get up - Don't let her decide.  My puppies slept until 9:30 this morning, when I got up.  The phone even rang at 8:00 and they didn't make a noise.  Here's what I'd suggest (it worked for me):  But Belle in her crate at bedtime (or wherever she sleeps).  Since she is still a baby, she probably can't hold her urine for a really long time.  When she whimpers (before you are ready to get up), get up quietly and take her outside (or to the pad).  Don't talk to her much except to quietly praise her for going potty.  Then put her back into the crate and you roll over and go back to sleep.  She may fuss for a few days, but you need to establish your routine.  If you aren't using the crate it may be a little harder cause she'll try and play.  Keep the room as dark as possible.  I really think that you can get her to be on your schedule, rather than you being on hers.

Good luck!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61107
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha...my potty/morning suggestion was to let her sleep in the bed and put a wee pad next to the bed...ha ha...

Brinkley has a pad/box in our room and when he wakes up early, he goes potty and then comes right back to bed to curl up with me...usually I don't even know he has gotten up...

Now this has taken some time...when he was a wee pup, he would wake me up with puppy kisses and I HAD to get up with him to potty...even on the wee pad...
but now he is a big boy and goes by himself...
Good luck!
You will find a routine that works...

·
Registered
608 Posts
For those who's dogs get up in the morning by themself go potty and get back in bed. I want to know how do they get back in the bed w/out waking you? Tunder can't even jump on the couch. He bounces, dances, and whines til somone puts him on the couch, bed or wherever he wants to be.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 9 2005, 04:05 PM
For those who's dogs get up in the morning by themself go potty and get back in bed.  I want to know how do they get back in the bed w/out waking you?  Tunder can't even jump on the couch.    He bounces, dances, and whines til somone puts him on the couch, bed or wherever he wants to be.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61150
[/QUOTE]

He has a stool next to the bed to help him get up and down...

When he comes back he just curls up in the crook of my legs and sleeps until I get up...
A rested mommy is a happy mommy...

·
Registered
608 Posts
[/QUOTE]

He has a stool next to the bed to help him get up and down...

When he comes back he just curls up in the crook of my legs and sleeps until I get up...
A rested mommy is a happy mommy...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61152
[/QUOTE]

I wish.... I know Tunny can jump up on the couch... he has done it one time but that is it. He is a lil bit of a baby
But on the other end of it I drag his butt out in the morning. He will sleep as long as one of us is in the bed.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 9 2005, 05:05 PM
For those who's dogs get up in the morning by themself go potty and get back in bed.  I want to know how do they get back in the bed w/out waking you?  Tunder can't even jump on the couch.    He bounces, dances, and whines til somone puts him on the couch, bed or wherever he wants to be.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61150
[/QUOTE]

Kallie does this but she is 9 pounds and large enough to jump pretty much wherever she wants to. My bed is very low to the ground, specifically because I wanted her to be able to get in and out easily. I bought a low-profile frame and a low-profile box springs. And I have a very fluffy down comforter on the bed and she sort of climbs up it when getting on the bed.

And I didn't get a footboard so she could climb in easily since if I'm in bed I'd be in the way on one side and the other side is only about 18 inches from the wall. So far Catcher has not tried to jump or climb on anything and I'm leaving it that way for the health of his knees. He sleeps in his crate next to the bed and about 5:00 a.m. he wants to go potty and I bring him to bed with me afterward until it is time to get up... a big mistake though because he expects it now and he is a pain in bed... he chews on my hair and licks me constantly... and I usually get up at 6:45 so I need to figure something out with him....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 9 2005, 10:24 AM
Glad Belle is settling in so well! Do be careful, though, about letting her play with your Great Dane. I have heard too many stories of Maltese being injured by larger dogs. I would never let the two of them alone together unsupervised no matter how much they seem to love one another. There is just too much of a size difference. Accidents do happen with this frail breed. Look at what just happened to Charmaine's Nibbler.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61059
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. They never stay in the same part of the house when we are not there. And Belle is always in my sight when Im home. Our GD is always watching to see where little Belle is before she lays down, and when shes walking.... I think she wants to be Belle's mommy! But, as much as I trust the GD and as careful as she is, Belle goes in her cage in our bedroom when we leave, and Jasmine goes to 'her' living room.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by msmagnolia@May 9 2005, 01:41 PM
So glad that everyone is happy with the new little babe.  About the sleep thing - you tell her when its time to get up - Don't let her decide.  My puppies slept until 9:30 this morning, when I got up.  The phone even rang at 8:00 and they didn't make a noise.  Here's what I'd suggest (it worked for me):  But Belle in her crate at bedtime (or wherever she sleeps).  Since she is still a baby, she probably can't hold her urine for a really long time.  When she whimpers (before you are ready to get up), get up quietly and take her outside (or to the pad).  Don't talk to her much except to quietly praise her for going potty.  Then put her back into the crate and you roll over and go back to sleep.  She may fuss for a few days, but you need to establish your routine.  If you aren't using the crate it may be a little harder cause she'll try and play.  Keep the room as dark as possible.  I really think that you can get her to be on your schedule, rather than you being on hers.

Good luck!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61107
[/QUOTE]

Defintately going to try that. I just feel so bad cuz Daddy works 1st shift, and I work 3rd. So, the days after I work she's going to be like "Mom, are we gonna sleep ALL day??" I think she'll get in routine....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts