Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7,405 Posts
This would solve your problems if the breeder would keep her till she is 12 weeks. You could take your trip and then come home and enjoy your new puppy, instead of worrying about her the whole time you're gone. I know its hard to wait, but your life would be so much easier, and it would be better for her. If the breeder won't do it, then you might need to ask some hard questions. See, I told you that we're not shy about sharing out opinions.

· Registered
7,405 Posts
Actually this raises a point that I've been wondering about too. Bear with me while I try to say this all correctly. This poster has been told by her breeder, her vet, and the breeder's vet that it is OK to send the puppies home in the 8-9 week time frame. Other breeders say the same. We all know that the American Maltese Organization suggests 12 weeks and it is in their code of ethics.

10 years ago I purchased a Bichon from a wonderful breeder and she came home at 8 weeks. We thought that was long, because other dogs that we've had came home at 6 or 7 weeks. When we started researching Maltese I didn't think it was strange that the time was minimum of 12 weeks. I figured that times had changed and new info was available, plus Malts are smaller than Bichons. But this post got me wondering if other toy breeds all say 12 weeks, or if this is just something that Maltese people suggest. I went to the web pages for several breeds - I went to their national organizations, not just some random website. The code of ethics for Yorkies call for 12 weeks. I couldn't find a national organization for Chihuahuas. I also looked at Papillions and Pomeranians - two dogs which I consider very small. Both of their national organizations say 8 weeks. So what is the deal?

Obviously I got my puppies at 14 weeks and 5 months so I'm not arguing.....I just want to know why some small breeds are saying 12 weeks and other small breeds are saying 8. I'm adding to the OP's confusion, but I think that this is something that should be discussed. And I'm wondering how we know that the Maltese Organization is more correct than the Papillion organization???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.