Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually give Bailey Benadryl pills but I can't get her to take it this morning. Her allergies are bothering her and her vet said to give her Benadryl. My question is can I give her liquid Benadryl and if so what dosage? She is 15lbs.

Thank You :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The liquid will probably go down easier for her (if you have a syringe), but you can just shove the pill down her throat, hold her muzzle closed, and massage her throat for a few seconds and she will be forced to swallow. I know it sounds so mean...but it does work.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The liquid will probably go down easier for her (if you have a syringe), but you can just shove the pill down her throat, hold her muzzle closed, and massage her throat for a few seconds and she will be forced to swallow. I know it sounds so mean...but it does work.
I find that works better for me, too. I never had much luck with liquid as more seems to get all over the beard that down the throat.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I was told by our vet to give 5mg of children's benadryl to our 5 pound dogs... so by that, I would think 15mg would be fine for a 15lb dog. But if you just call your vet, they will tell you to be safe... I sympathize - my allergies are driving me nuts lately too (cottonwood puffs floating all over the place, etc etc)

·
Super Moderator
10,246 Posts
If I have to give the girls pills I use Pill Pockets - no problems. Peanut butter also works.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
When Boo wouldn't take his meds,I chopped the pill into tiny pieces & mixed it into a spoon of canned Wellness dogfood. I then shaped it into a little meatball,popped it into his mouth & he swallowed it right up. He sure looked forward to those meatballs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts