Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know Benny is quite reactive around strangers and new dogs. I've been working with him and he really has come a long way from how he was. He rebounds must faster than he used to. He's a work in progress. Leslie suggested Pamela Dennison's school Positive Motivation Dog Training. Pam is holding Camp Reward this weekend from Friday to Sunday. It's a camp for reactive/aggressive/shy dogs. Similar to what Carina went to a few months ago. I am really hopeful that I'll learn some better skills on how to deal w/Benny's reactiveness.

We have an hour and a 1/2 drive one way. So lots of driving back and forth this weekend.

Here's the link for anyone who wants to read more about the camp.
Seminars with Pamela Dennison's and Positive Motivation Dog Training!

Fingers and paws crossed for us!!!! :prayer:
I'll update after the weekend is over!!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Tammy - I'm so excited for you and Benny. How great!!! You are really committed to this if you're traveling all the way up there. :w00t: but wouldn't it be great if this really does the trick. I'm cheering you and Benny on. :chili::chili: Can't wait to find out how it goes. Is Emma staying with hubby?

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
That looks amazing! Tammy, would you mind taking Crisse, Darla and Fallon with you? Oh, and Steve, too. LOL
xoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Wow, the camp sounds great. I am having some similar issues with Cassie, and we're working with a behaviorist. Hope this works for you and Benny. It's been years, but I actually know the area where the camp is located. I used to live in northern NJ. It should be really pretty there this time of year.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
wow that's really interesting...good luck!

Just in case maybe you should bring the other Benny , you know the non-reactive one Gramps made, and if things get hairy, switch him quickly with your Benny when they aren't watching...who me?...that was not my Benny barking. Of course we expect Benny to be on his best behaviour. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts

Just in case maybe you should bring the other Benny , you know the non-reactive one Gramps made, and if things get hairy, switch him quickly with your Benny when they aren't watching...who me?...that was not my Benny barking. Of course we expect Benny to be on his best behaviour. :thumbsup:
LMAO Brenda!!!! Yup, Little Benny to the rescue. Can sit still for hours.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read her post.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

Tammy, best of luck to you and Benny. I know you both will
do great.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tammy - I'm so excited for you and Benny. How great!!! You are really committed to this if you're traveling all the way up there. :w00t: but wouldn't it be great if this really does the trick. I'm cheering you and Benny on. :chili::chili: Can't wait to find out how it goes. Is Emma staying with hubby?
You saw firsthand Benny's behavior Sue. It breaks my heart. I really hope this helps me help him! DH is coming w/me tomorrow b/c I'm scared to drive all that distance by myself. I hate driving places I don't know w/out someone with me. Saturday and Sunday Emma will be w/hubby and Ben and I will make the trip ourselves!

That looks amazing! Tammy, would you mind taking Crisse, Darla and Fallon with you? Oh, and Steve, too. LOL
xoxoxoxoxo
LOL Kerry! I have an SUV....there's room for them LOL!!! :HistericalSmiley:
Wow, the camp sounds great. I am having some similar issues with Cassie, and we're working with a behaviorist. Hope this works for you and Benny. It's been years, but I actually know the area where the camp is located. I used to live in northern NJ. It should be really pretty there this time of year.
How's the training going Reva? It's so frustrating when they are reactive, isn't it? I hope you have great success w/Cassie too!

Yes that area I imagine will be beautiful. Lots of farmland up there.

LOL Bren!:HistericalSmiley: I wish the real Benny would learn some manners from mini Benny! :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read her post.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

Tammy, best of luck to you and Benny. I know you both will
do great.
Thanks Mary! The trainer said she doesn't get many maltese in her camps. Could you imagine what she would think if I brought mini Benny w/me?! :HistericalSmiley:She's probably used to big dogs. Then here comes me w/my maltese Benny and his mini me LOL!!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Tammy, is this a camp where Benny stays there like for a week or so???

This very interesting and i'm hoping for the best for Benny.

You've got from now until next June to get him ready for the next puppy party!!!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Awww...Tam, I think it will be fantastic!! I will be rooting for you and Benny!!

Benny, please be a good student and listen to your teacher and mommy! It is OK to make new friends too but remember to be a good boy!- Love, your god mommy

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I'm so excited for you and Benny! I hope this camp is everything and more then you are hoping for. I'm guessing with all that driving, you won't be up to giving us an update tonight. But....I wanna know how it went!!!:smpullhair: I don't think I can stand waiting until you are completely done with the camp!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
wow, tammy, this looks great, i really hope it helps you and benny. i feel for you, because stuart has the same issues and its so frustrating and sad. we start another round of classes this saturday, i'm taking both dogs since stuart is worse when reina is with us.

i just got dr. sophia yin's book, "how to behave so your dog behaves, 2nd edition" and am trying to implement her methods at home. its a lot like nothing in life is free. that seems to be helping stuart behave a little better.....time will tell.

hugs to you and benny and good luck in the class! (hugs to sweet emma, too!!)

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
That's great Tammy! Although I would be getting a hotel-that's a lot of driving!
I look forward to hearing all about it. Perri is very protective of the house and has issues with people coming over.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fingers (Kats), paws (malts') and claws (Romeos) crossed for you two !!! good luck... I am sure myBenny will do super well ... Keep us posted please :D
sending him some kisses
hugs
Kat
Fingers, paws and kitty claws all crossed. Thanks Kat! :wub:
Tammy, is this a camp where Benny stays there like for a week or so???

This very interesting and i'm hoping for the best for Benny.

You've got from now until next June to get him ready for the next puppy party!!!
No Pat...it's a 3 day camp and I"m with him the whole time. Yes I hope next year's annual puppy party will be a good event for Benny to show off his new and improved himself! Don't want to be the one again next year with the barky-est dog! :embarrassed:
Awww...Tam, I think it will be fantastic!! I will be rooting for you and Benny!!

Benny, please be a good student and listen to your teacher and mommy! It is OK to make new friends too but remember to be a good boy!- Love, your god mommy
Benny said he will do his best God Mommy!!! Thanks sweets. :wub:
I'm so excited for you and Benny! I hope this camp is everything and more then you are hoping for. I'm guessing with all that driving, you won't be up to giving us an update tonight. But....I wanna know how it went!!!:smpullhair: I don't think I can stand waiting until you are completely done with the camp!
Not sure how much updating I'll do over the weekend Crystal but I'll do my best. I promise!!!! We are getting ready for bed now...we have a long 3 days ahead of us!

wow, tammy, this looks great, i really hope it helps you and benny. i feel for you, because stuart has the same issues and its so frustrating and sad. we start another round of classes this saturday, i'm taking both dogs since stuart is worse when reina is with us.

i just got dr. sophia yin's book, "how to behave so your dog behaves, 2nd edition" and am trying to implement her methods at home. its a lot like nothing in life is free. that seems to be helping stuart behave a little better.....time will tell.

hugs to you and benny and good luck in the class! (hugs to sweet emma, too!!)
I'm so surprised about Stuart b/c he was so good in Atlanta. Benny never could have traveled to the AMA's w/me. I contemplated bringing Emma with me to the training just b/c they are always together and maybe the training would have been beneficial for both but I only enrolled Benny.

That book looks great Tami. I'll definitely order it. Thank you!!! Good luck in your new class this weekend too!
That's great Tammy! Although I would be getting a hotel-that's a lot of driving!
I look forward to hearing all about it. Perri is very protective of the house and has issues with people coming over.
LOL Ashley....I thought about a hotel but I was a little nervous staying at a hotel in a strange down by myself. I'm such a wimp! :blush:

WPW! Sounds exciting! Please let me know how that goes. I'm sure you and Benny will gain a lot from it and I hear you girl - I know how helpless one can feel with a pup that's so "vocal" ;-)
Both our boys are in training Edith. I know you can relate! How is our lil Aolani doing these days? Any improvement?

Pamela Dennison is an amazing trainer. I hope you get a lot out of your weekend!
Thanks Jackie! I'm relieved to hear you say that. Leslie highly recommended her to me so I feel very positive that I will learn alot. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I'm glad DH is driving with you...have fun. I would love to do a course like that...Jodi really needs it too.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad DH is driving with you...have fun. I would love to do a course like that...Jodi really needs it too.
I've only got him going the first day. I wish he could come the whole weekend but he can't. At least I will have an idea of where I'm going and not get lost when I have to do the drive myself.

Wish you were closer and you and Jodi could come. Benny Bear and Jodi Bear would both be the cutest duo :wub:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts