Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have been wanting to ask for some advice on Bentley's behavior. He is a rescue and I have had him two months. I love him dearly and I think he is doing well. However, sometimes he acts so scared and I don't know why or how to deal with it. He loves to go on walks but sometimes he fights me to get his harness on or runs and hides when I get it out. I try to talk calmly to him and he will usually come to me or let me put the harness on after some time. Sometimes he shakes when I am doing this. I have tried to offer him treats during this time as suggested by the doggy daycare, but that has not changed anything. He goes to doggy daycare once a week and the last time I dropped him off he begged me to leave with me and then shook in the workers arms when he picked Bentley up. They said he stopped as soon as I left. He loves going there and I am not worried about that, however, it was right after Thanksgiving and he had been home with me all week. They said it was something between the two of us (that made me feel bad). Am I doing something to bring this on or make it continue? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Rebecca - I wish I had advice for you but I'm not much of a dog behavior expert. I know there are plenty here who will help. I just wanted to thank you for the devotion you've given to Bentley though. It's not easy with a rescue and it's usually baby steps but so rewarding as each challenge is solved. You are doing an awesome job.:thumbsup: Just to give you some encouragement: my neighbor rescued a terrier, not yorkie but similar last May. She was aggressive, growled, barked and went to bite other dogs. We were just together tonight and I thought she was with her a year. She said only since May but there was Betsy playing with my dog and another neighbors...tug of war with a bone, running up and down the hall and no aggressive behavior...just having fun. So it can be done.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Mine did that too,now they're really outgoing. It'll take some time. I'd ask the vet about it too. Mine were bonding too close to me so I'd take them to the nursing home to see my mom and having others pet and hold them made them blossom... Now it's mommy who?
Give him time,who knows what has happened to him in his past. Migth be some abandonment fears still lingering..
Took 6 months for Bitsy to really trust and at least that long before she'd let me give her a belly rub. Rylee settled in pretty fast but Bitsy took much longer.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
You didn't say he's ALWAYS been like this, so I'm assuming this behavior is relatively new. The possibility exists that someone at the daycare center has mistreated him on a walk or potty break, so now when he sees the harness/led he associates it with what happened to him. Bentley is trying to tell you something. Does this daycare center have 24 hour mommy cam capabilities? Has there been a new hire since he's been going there? How well do you know the staff? You have to look at all the angles. This is just one of them.:unsure:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was a first for the behavior at the day care. However, the behavior with the harness and getting ready for walks started when it got cold outside. I was putting my coat on (and his too, which he hates) and think that it might be related to that. He does not like any kind of restraint and think he feels restrained when I put his harness and/or coat on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I feel as though I could have written this thread myself!

Pepper doesn't run to the door when I grab his leash to take him out. It almost seems as though he'd rather hold it than go out. Sometimes I have to chase him (I make it into a game).

Then he shakes like crazy when I put his harness on. He hates putting a coat on, but I won't allow him to freeze outside.

When he see's me putting mine on, he just lays down and waits until I'm bundled up. Once I grab his leash, he's ready and raring to go.

It wasn't so bad during the summer, but as its gotten colder, its gotten worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts