Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas for the best harness for a Maltese in full coat that doesn't matt much or look like he is joining the army???

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
We use a step in harness for our little Yorkie (2 1/2 lbs.) and that hasn't had any affects on her hair. However, the one that we use for our Malt Chrissy, (more like Vest Harness) does seem to make some matts on one side of her. Not sure whether or not you have a Petsmart and/or a Petco near you but it might not be a bad idea to check them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess there is no getting around the matts. Our favorite that we keep going back to is the Wonder Walker. I will look at PetSmart and Petco..

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
First let me welcome you to the SM family! I would love to see a picture of your little guy in his full coat. I'm sure he is adorable!
Abella has been in a show coat all of her adult life (she is now 8 years old). I have tried many different harnesses and collars and have yet to find one that does not produce matts. I have found that silk lined ones tend to produce less matts than others. I remove collar and harness right after a walk and make sure she gets a very thorough brushing, focusing on where the legs meet the body and rub while she is walking. I wish I could be of more help. ff you find a harness that is matt free on a show coat maltese please do share!!! The search goes on....... I should add that Abella is usually in her buggy when I go for my long walks - cement is very hard on her long coat. She gets most of her exercise indoors, collar & harness free.
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. Mikey usually wears Wonder Walker (that is the best for him) and if we go somewhere special I put him in Puppia or Gooby, then decorate with bows. We too have the stroller and
IMG_2552.JPG backpack (which we don't use).

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Mikey is adorable! How old is he? He looks so gorgeous in his long coat. 😘
Mikey's face and Abellas are so very similar. Thank you for posting the picture of your handsome guy!
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a nice complement! Thank you. He is 6 yrs old and is 9 lbs.! He is a big boy and our baby. We got him from a breeder in California and he is everything to me. We are proud parents walking with the stroller and listening to him bark at other dogs! Arebella is a doll! They are so so fun! Has she slowed down any? Mikey has not.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Any ideas for the best harness for a Maltese in full coat that doesn't matt much or look like he is joining the army???
Gee...I'll be watching this thread. I like to put little vests or tees on my Whispy and his hair does get matted even from those. My groomer asked me to just use a collar as the harnesses I tried did the same thing.

Lainie

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Oh, if I just use a collar (he doesn't pull), he's fine. Doesn't mat at all. It's the harness and the tees that cause matting underneath between legs and body.

·
Super Moderator
9,594 Posts
He is adorable. His coat is amazing. I have used buddy belts. They are good for car seats and carriages, but I would not use it for walks.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I recommend foxypups on Etsy. Her harnesses are stepin harnesses made of silk. Quite kind to the hair. She is very nice and will answer questions or concerns you may have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts