Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The nicest ones I've held are the Chris Christensen or Geib shears. However, those are too pricey for me. I usually get something for $50-60 and they do a good enough job. One day I'll have either the CC or Geibs.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
yeah, i was wondering the same thing. I recently gave Dexter and Rollo haircuts. First time I tried it on any dog. Turned out interesting. Def need longer shears, the short Petco ones, while sharp, are not cutting it so to speak.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I would listen to JMM, she really knows her grooming tools. lol

I own the Master Grooming Tools 5200 straight shear, and it's "okay". It does the job, but I can definitely tell that a $50 pair would be MUCH easier to work with. Personally, I would tell you to not get that set of 3 shears and just get one nicer pair of straight shears, and one pair of thinning shears. With grooming shears, you really do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I've got an old pair of Oster Golden A-5.
I've had to buy 2 clippers in 27 years... The pair I have now,had for 12 years paid $127.99 ,price is still on the box. Not sure how much they are now. Pricey but I've shaved a lot of dogs with those babies. I do ours plus the shelter dogs.
I think I've purchased,maybe 3 sets of blades over the years. I have extras while the other is getting sharpened.
If you don't trim much,then that much would be overkill. But for those who do,it's the price of 2 groomings...approx....

Oops,I thought you meant clippers.

I have Bonika silk shears,about $150.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm going to buy some shears next week and since they most likely don't have the brand names that have been mentioned here, what should I look for in a shear and how many blades should I buy to go with it? Please forgive my ignorance on this..I"m a complete novice.

(I'm going to start grooming myself because Bisou caught a bacterial infection while at the groomers- I had to board her there for the last 10 days while I was out of the country- so I'm not going back there even for a bath/trim).

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you can put your hands on the shears, pick what feels best in your hand. A pair of straight shears will get you through...but having a pair of curved is really nice as well. You might ask for something "middle of the line" so you don't spend a fortune and then realize you want 7 1/2 in instead of 6 in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts