Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots and lots of questions lately relative to my growing out the girls coats.

I need new harness sets for the girls. What style do you recommend for the least amount of matting?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None. :bysmilie:
But you should try a harness dress! I can lift my Gigi up off the ground by the D-ring when she is wearing one. Matts = few or none. :)
Really? I thought clothing made matting worse? Well, if that is the case where can I get satin lined harnesses? I hear satin lined clothing helps prevent mats. I don't think I could bring myself to walk them in full dresses so I would prefer a harness with a minimal ruffle instead of full skirt. . My neighbors wouldn't understand and it gets pretty hot here in SW Florida.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
There was a woman on SM who was making Duponi Silk harnesses. I am trying to remember her screen name, but those would be better (still not ideal, but better) for preventing matting. Clothing does make matting worse and also tends to not be as secure in terms of providing safety compared to a harness.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
The only time Gigi's hair matts is if something(ie. collars, straps on harnesses) on her moves. Since the clothes will stay in the exact same place as I put it for many hours, Gigi does not matt. As long as you brush them you before and after wearing clothes, you shouldn't get any matts. But even her satin show leads matted her hair. This is just my experience.

You could try a silk harness, I dont own one so I couldn't be able to tell you if they work or not.

Maybe a harness vest? Just google that, there's tons of them out there. Also, make sure the velcro is TOUGH, and hard for even you to take off. Here's Gigi demonstrating the durability of a harness dress by Jodi(Chloe Bella) that she wore today on a walk:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will try all recommendations here. I'll try a silk harness [if I can find one] and a harness vest. I already purchased a couple show leads and use these when the girls go out after dark. We have coyote and bob cats here and I need to keep the girls close. After dark our outings are just to the end of the stairs for quick a quick pee. They pull on the lead and it in turn chokes them so I couldn't use them for our walks. I thought about the head collar that stops pulling, but I think they would object so much that they wouldn't walk. I'll report my results. [Dixie is not yet full coated so it will be some time before I can get a definitive result. Lilly is long, but her coat is a puppy coat and I think the texture is different.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a show lead.

I believe all dogs should have outdoor time. You can always band up her longer side coat before you go out if it is a problem. Even my show dogs always got walks outside and yard time if it was dry. A good walk every day also does wonders for keeping a dog's mind happy and healthy!

I saw this in the thread listed above. [Thanks Rockybaby22 for attaching it]. Is it possible for someone to post a picture of this banding? I have never done any banding. [When you band the hair do you use papers?] Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I like head collars. If properly introduced most dogs tolerate them. I believe there is a video by Premier Pet on youtube demonstrating.
I have used head halters on coated dogs and do not have matting...probably because it does not rub and move.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think I've tried almost every harness out there :blink::blush:

Recently I invested in a Buddy Belt and LOVE it!! I had always heard great things about them but could not justify buying one as they are quite pricy. But they are SO lightweight and the leather is soft as butter :thumbsup: Mitzy is almost in full coat and also has a cottony coat and has very minimal to no matting. My favorite part about the BB is the buckle, its so secure. I was really worried about it being to bulky/heavy but its really not. Its alot lighter than it looks.

My next favorite harnesses would have to be either Cindy's silk harnesses or the Poochee rolled leather harnesses. The only thing I don't like about the poochee harnesses is the leash does not detach from the harness so you have to take your dog out of the harness completely everytime you want to let them off leash. I pretty much use them only for quick trips like to the mail box or to the vet.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will look into these suggestions. Thank you

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I think I've tried almost every harness out there :blink::blush:

Recently I invested in a Buddy Belt and LOVE it!! I had always heard great things about them but could not justify buying one as they are quite pricy. But they are SO lightweight and the leather is soft as butter :thumbsup: Mitzy is almost in full coat and also has a cottony coat and has very minimal to no matting. My favorite part about the BB is the buckle, its so secure. I was really worried about it being to bulky/heavy but its really not. Its alot lighter than it looks.
Can you post a pic of him in it? I'ver heard of buddy belts but I couldn't evn imagine it on a full coated malt.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I use a Resco show lead with absolutely no matting. It is so thin and light that it puts no pressure on the neck and leaves the coat without a mat. And with the showlead you can see their beautiful coat floating as they walk:thumbsup:
Please excuse my ignorance about show leads: but does the loop (of the lead) go around the neck of the dog?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you post a pic of him in it? I'ver heard of buddy belts but I couldn't evn imagine it on a full coated malt.
Sure!! Here are some of when I first got it. We went to the beach 2 weeks ago and she wore it for over 6 hours and NO mats, a bunch of sand in her hair :angry: but no mats :thumbsup: I ordered a hot pink one too, but am still waiting on that one. I think she will look better in the hot pink as it would stand out more against her light hair.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.