Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies!

Delilah is still in puppy kindergarten and so far is doing great. I of course want to take her on to advanced classes into obedience and hopefully conformation and even therapy dog!

For those of you who work with your dogs. When or is there- the best time of day to perform these training exercises? I find it really distracting when my kids are at home to practice with Delilah, and don't get to practice as much as I want/need to with her.

I am looking forward to next school year, when ALL my kids will be in school and I have all that time to focus on training. Do you just practice at various times during the day? also, for how long?

This is the place we will be going to Jaemars Academy of Dog Obedience it's been around here locally for many years, but they are also, if not, the only place that offers all of this locally. At least that I am aware of. IMO Petsmart is just good for the puppy kindergarten.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I train 6-10x daily at about 3 minute intervals for everything from beginner commands to advanced commands. I started her training at 14 weeks (and after all her baby shots were done). This is where quantity is definitely tied to quality. Pepper cannot compete in conformation (bite went off), but is all about rally. Let us know how things progress with her training, Laura---you sure have a little doll there. :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I usually work with Nikki after dinner every night. But we aren't doing anything major like rally, just going over everything she learned in obedience school every night. It gives her something to do, and it's good that she remembers her training.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
We have "formal" training sessions about once a day - near dinner. That will last about 5-10 minutes. If Jax is really into it we will go a bit longer.

I also take opportunities throughout the day to reinforce behaviors. I'll randomly do a recall and reinforce like crazy Or have them sit before I open doors. I will also practice some of our rally stuff, like fronts, throughout the day as well. If I do those, it's just a quick one time thing. They do it, get a treat or reward (open door) then we move on to whatever we were doing.

Mine seem to work best in the afternoons and right before dinner - when they are hungry! :)

I couldn't tell from the website, but are they using positive reinforcement and/or clicker training for their classes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts