Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy is so smart, and picks up things so fast. As he gets older I'd like to teach him more tricks, beside the usual sit, down, etc.

Does anyone have a book or training CD that you think is the tops?

I tried following the direction for training to roll over from a book I have here, but the directions aren't very good ... so I'm looking for something that leaves no doubt as to how to do various tricks.

Thanks bunches!! Jules

·
Registered
847 Posts
It seems like a lot of people have had success with clicker training, especially with more advanced tricks that have to be learned in steps. I would check on Dogwise.com. I think Karen Pryor is a well-known clicker training author.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Training tricks is something that is very easy once you get the full concept of clicker training. I just taught Jax to "spin right" and he got that in a couple minutes (lure & clicker). Another trick I taught was for him to open his crate door, go in and close it behind him (I tied a rope to the door). That took about 5-10 minutes and was somewhat free shaped. His touch and pulling my sock off were free shaped (along with some others) and his touch was captured. There's a link to his tricks video in my siggie.

The ability to train in small steps and progressively require more each time is something that just takes practice, along with the timing of the clicker. It's good to have a trainer that uses the clicker who is willing to play games and give you advice.

Along with a trainer you can also read up on clickertraining.com. Also you can always search youtube for some vids for some ideas, but most ppl just post the final product not the training process.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I love Deborah Wood's books.:thumbsup: They are easy to navigate, have fun pictures and great advice for someone who wants to get started training their small dog. And yes, there are some key differences when training the little ones. Here is a link to her book on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Little Dogs: Training Your Pint-Sized Companion (0018214105374): Deborah Wood: Books

I also love her little dogs activity book. It is a great follow up. So much fun.
Amazon.com: The Little Dogs' Activity Book: Fun and Frolic for a Fit Four-legged Friend (9780793806034): Deborah Wood: Books

1 - 4 of 4 Posts