Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You can teach sit by capturing it or luring it. I don't add the cue/word until they have the behavior. Either method only do it for a few minutes at a time.

To Capture:
WAIT for him to sit on his own. Do not say anything, do absolutely nothing. The moment his butt hits the ground Click - then give him a treat. He will eventually start sitting for that treat without you saying anything. After this happens you can add the word/cue. As you see him starting to sit, say "Sit" then click when his butt hits the ground. Then treat.

To Lure:
Take a treat and hold it. Put it in your fingers with a pointer finger out or with your hand up (whatever you want the hand signal to be). Put your hand in front of his nose, then slowly lift the treat above his head and back. If you go too high he'll jump. When his butt hits the ground - Click then treat. Repeat.

If you aren't using a clicker you'll have to "load" that first. You can also use the word "Yes". They are similar but not exactly the same. To load the clicker or yes, simply click/yes then give him a treat. Repeat several times (10-15). Let him get distracted, then click/yes - if he turns to get his treat, he's got it! If not, repeat again 10-15 times. Only do this once.

Sit is usually one of the easiest things to teach so he should have it in no time! :)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I'll write up how I teach leave it and post it for you later! It's one of my favorite things to teach and one of the most essential!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Leave It:
- Place a treat in your hand under you thumb or in a fist (so the dog cannot get it).

- Hold your hand out to your dog. He will mostly likely start licking, pawing, nudging, etc... your hand. WAIT for the dog to show any sign of avoidance (backs away for even a second, looks at you, sits, etc...)

- Do not say “Leave-it” if your dog is licking your hand, wait to add the cue until he is backing away 9 times out of 10

- At the first sign of avoidance, which can occur in many different forms, CLICK and reward from a different place other than the ‘leave-it’ in your hand (ex. Your other hand or pocket) – Do not give the “leave-it”

- When your dog understands the game start to change the picture. See if he will leave-it with an open hand, treat on the ground, being dropped, etc…

Remember:
- Dog NEVER gets the “leave-it”
- Always reward from your hand.
- Act like the object being left is poison and if they get it, go in their mouth and get it back!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.