Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! I've missed you all--the holidays (and my final) have left me pretty busy but I am determined to drop in anyway
I am applying for teaching positions and I don't know if I should fax my resume in or drive around and hand deliver them. I think it would be nice to hand deliver them because they would have a face to attach to the name, but the school I am most excited about had an ad in the paper than said "fax your resume to....blah blah blah). Any thoughts?? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
If possible, I would ALWAYS hand deliver.

Sometimes just letting them put a face to the resume can do wonders.
You might call before you go and see if the supervisor, director, principal, whomever does the hiring is there..sometimes you might get a quick "pre-interview"...at least that is the way it is around here...but hand deliver is always best in my opinion.
Even my husband, who manages a drug store chain says he prefers the people who come IN and ask if he is hiring, over the ones who call.
Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would definitely hand deliver. I think it always looks better and lets the employer see how interested you are. It shows more of an effort on your part. Hope you get the position you want...Good Luck

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Hmmmm, like the others I think it would be good to hand deliver, however, if the ad said to "fax" and you hand deliver that could be taken as a sign that you can not follow directions. Also, you will probably only see the student aid behind the desk anyway so the person (most likely the principal) will not see you anyway. I guess it is a call that only you can make. Good luck in your job search.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You might be disappointed when hand delivering. The person that takes the resumes is there to block you from seeing upper management. So calling ahead is the best approach before hand delivering. Also make sure you dress the part like your going to the interview. Even the secretary will be watching you. When I was doing a part- time reception job, I was told to make notes of the people being interviewed. How they conducted themselves in the waiting room, if they were on there cell phones or reading a book or going over their resume. (I have a friend that has a name that anyone would mistake for a man and with her credentials she would definitely get interviews. Every time she went in for the interview of course it would socked the people interviewing her, to see a women especially with the education and experience she had. Sending her resume in the mail worked best for her. )
If sending in a fax. I would do a follow up call to make sure they received it. Then I would fax the company each month... they tell you they put it in a database and that is true. For me faxing the company each month, also reminded them that I was definitely interested in there company. I know they away say send your references after when asked, but if you have really good one's and you don't mind them calling your reference ahead... I find this is also a plus. It shows confidence and you have noting to hide.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
You might be disappointed when hand delivering. The person that takes the resumes is there to block you from seeing upper management. So calling ahead is the best approach before hand delivering. Also make sure you dress the part like your going to the interview. Even the secretary will be watching you. When I was doing a part- time reception job, I was told to make notes of the people being interviewed. How they conducted themselves in the waiting room, if they were on there cell phones or reading a book or going over their resume. (I have a friend that has a name that anyone would mistake for a man and with her credentials she would definitely get interviews. Every time she went in for the interview of course it would socked the people interviewing her, to see a women especially with the education and experience she had. Sending her resume in the mail worked best for her. )
If sending in a fax. I would do a follow up call to make sure they received it. Then I would fax the company each month... they tell you they put it in a database and that is true. For me faxing the company each month, also reminded them that I was definitely interested in there company. I know they away say send your references after when asked, but if you have really good one's and you don't mind them calling your reference ahead... I find this is also a plus. It shows confidence and you have noting to hide.[/B]

Although this makes sense, depending on the school...size of the system....etc...I don't think most are run like the big businesses. At least they aren't run like that around here or anywhere else friends of mine have gotten a job. Several friends landed jobs BECAUSE they hand delivered their resume and went to the site intending to ask the supervisor more about the job etc. It is definitely a personal choice you have to make, but I just don't see how you can go wrong if you show up in person. You can always use the excuse that you were in the area, and thought you would deliver it in person because faxes don't always show up well...yada yada yada...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If sending in a fax. I would do a follow up call to make sure they received it. Then I would fax the company each month... they tell you they put it in a database and that is true. For me faxing the company each month, also reminded them that I was definitely interested in there company. I know they away say send your references after when asked, but if you have really good one's and you don't mind them calling your reference ahead... I find this is also a plus. It shows confidence and you have noting to hide.[/B]
Good points!!

It may be best to follow their instructions. Usually all of the resumes will be coming off of the fax machine and gathered together for the HR person to peruse, etc. A resume delivered could end up in the "wrong" pile or misplaced, forgotten about, etc.

If you end up just being asked to leave your resume on the reception desk, I think then I would just take it with you and fax it. Who knows.... the clerk who takes it may not like you for coming in and throw it in the trash can!! You never know...

If the ad did not specifically ask for resumes to be faxed then it might be best to mail it, deliver it, etc. But when an ad specifically asks for something to be done a certain way, I think it can be best to follow instructions, as it might be seen as a negative to them that you are not respecting their wishes.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
If you fax to the ad that listed the fax number, would you do a cover letter? I think that I would and I would follow up to make sure that they got the fax.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you want a good impression left, a crappy copy of your resume through a fax machine is just so ordinary.

I would deffinitely dress the teacher's part and drop by, it will allow you to make a REAL first impression, rather than wait to be called and hope for it.

Go after you think morning announcements are over, don't go around lunch time(S) principals usually make appearances at lunch...and not too late in the day, they are trying to wrap it up. I would go mid morn before lunch periods.

Deffinitely ask if you could meet the principal. Make sure you know their name first, including the V.P. If you ask the school secretary can I see Mr. Smith...if you know them by name it will make you seem like an expected guest or a more important person. Just say you were told to ask for Mr. Smith by someone who refered you. You could say (later) a friend of yours refered Mr. Smith because of the excellent way he runs his school.

Just some tips so you don't appear as a complete stranger...refered by someone that knows the reputation of the school is a nice compliment...and will be attached to the impression of you...as a person who has done their homework.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I guess it would depend on what the compaines want. I got my job because I faxed the resume in. I faxed it in, followed up with a phone call then after I went in for the interview I sent a thank you letter.

Worked for me. And after I got that job I received calls from three other companies to which I also faxed the resumes in! But when I faxed them in I also sent one in snail mail also.

Marie & Pacino

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Whenever we've had an ad in the paper and we ask applicants to fax or mail a resume, we don't think too highly of someone who shows up at our door. We have given those instructions for a reason.

I appreciate it when someone respects our time by following instructions. Of course a follow up call is OK and a thank you note gets points.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Schools are different from corporations. As a substitute teacher I was told to always go in person. It makes you stand out. Principals are neighborhood puplic figures, they should be happy to meet with you if they care about their school. They should also appreciate you taking the time to go visit them.

Well, that is NY, anyway.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Schools are different from corporations.[/B]
That is what I was trying to say before.
I understand the "follow directions" point...so just to make sure you cover all bases...fax it in and THEN show up with a better copy in your hand, letting them know you faxed one in too.
Most people I know work so hard on not only the info in their resumes, but also making them look good-and make them memorable. A faxed copy just can't have the same effect. JMO

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Okay I know most people say hand deliver but the person you want to see will most likely not see you. I work in the admin part of a health department and the resumes are always posted as fax or email. We just don't have the time or the interest to see a person who wants to hand deliver a resume. All resumes are to go to my supervisor and I can tell you that if someone comes in and wants to see him they are sent to me and I just take the resume. I have no say so or info on the job they are applying for. As a matter of fact I have no interest in seeing this person...they are interrupting my work flow. Everyone of the job openings are for other departments and I can tell you the person who is doing the job interviewing hates it. Takes so much time away from their normal work day. They just want to hire the person who is qualified for the job and go back to their everyday work. It takes a lot of time to interview.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Okay I know most people say hand deliver but the person you want to see will most likely not see you. I work in the admin part of a health department and the resumes are always posted as fax or email. We just don't have the time or the interest to see a person who wants to hand deliver a resume. All resumes are to go to my supervisor and I can tell you that if someone comes in and wants to see him they are sent to me and I just take the resume. I have no say so or info on the job they are applying for. As a matter of fact I have no interest in seeing this person...they are interrupting my work flow. Everyone of the job openings are for other departments and I can tell you the person who is doing the job interviewing hates it. Takes so much time away from their normal work day. They just want to hire the person who is qualified for the job and go back to their everyday work. It takes a lot of time to interview.[/B]

Education world is just different. At least it is where I am from.
That is all I am gonna say on this topic.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Okay I know most people say hand deliver but the person you want to see will most likely not see you. I work in the admin part of a health department and the resumes are always posted as fax or email. We just don't have the time or the interest to see a person who wants to hand deliver a resume. All resumes are to go to my supervisor and I can tell you that if someone comes in and wants to see him they are sent to me and I just take the resume. I have no say so or info on the job they are applying for. As a matter of fact I have no interest in seeing this person...they are interrupting my work flow. Everyone of the job openings are for other departments and I can tell you the person who is doing the job interviewing hates it. Takes so much time away from their normal work day. They just want to hire the person who is qualified for the job and go back to their everyday work. It takes a lot of time to interview.[/B]

Education world is just different. At least it is where I am from.
That is all I am gonna say on this topic.

[/B]

*ditto*

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I just recently hired for a position (higher education). Our applications are processed online. One of the applicants had also delivered a nice copy of his resume, with signature, to my internal mailbox as Chair of the search committee. I must say that the fact that I had two copies of his resumes - one that looked like everyone else's, and one printed on nice paper, and signed in blue, did make his resume stand out among a pile of candidates with similar qualifications and experiences. He got the job --not because he went the extra mile with his resume, but because he was the most qualified for the job. However, his attention to detail was noticed as a desirable quality, and now that he is on the job is already reflected in everything he does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts