Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Aug 4 2005, 10:41 PM
I just read an article about a dog who almost died from eating six mints with Xylitol, an artificial sweetener.  It would pay to watch this around your babies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87303
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the warning. I had a friend once who used to feed his Dobie those round peppermints, we call them Crown Mints back in Australia. The dog loved them but sadly she died of a stroke and the vet told them that mints are really not good for dogs.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yeah, my kids are always begging for a share of my vitamin C. I used to share with them, but quit after they started adding Xylitol to it. It's been 8 months since they had any vitamin c, but they haven't forgotten that they love it and I used to share. They haven't forgotten and haven't given up.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Aug 5 2005, 08:53 AM
Yeah, my kids are always begging for a share of my vitamin C.  I used to share with them, but quit after they started adding Xylitol to it.  It's been 8 months since they had any vitamin c, but they haven't forgotten that they love it and I used to share.  They haven't forgotten and haven't given up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87337
[/QUOTE]

Well that's funny because we made the mistake of sharing a slim jim with Scooby and now we have to hide when we have one. Hubby ate one once while Scooby was outside going potty and when we came in he could smell the wrapper and he went mad, yipping and begging for his share and he wouldn't let up, he even sat at the trash can looking at the wrapper begging for some.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Also read lables on the "breath fresher" products. One I know contains this same ingredient. I think it is one that you add to the water..don't recall at the moment.
This is also in many diet candies/ gums / low calorie products, so just read labels to be sure.
Terry and sweet Angel Missy

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Even humans need to beware of any sweetener ending in "tol". Maltitol and the like are added to diet products like low carb ice cream, etc. and can cause pretty bad stomach upsets. Ask someone who pigged out on a whole pint at one time! But lived to regret it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Aug 5 2005, 08:05 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-NC's Mom
@Aug 5 2005, 08:53 AM
Yeah, my kids are always begging for a share of my vitamin C.  I used to share with them, but quit after they started adding Xylitol to it.  It's been 8 months since they had any vitamin c, but they haven't forgotten that they love it and I used to share.  They haven't forgotten and haven't given up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87337
Well that's funny because we made the mistake of sharing a slim jim with Scooby and now we have to hide when we have one. Hubby ate one once while Scooby was outside going potty and when we came in he could smell the wrapper and he went mad, yipping and begging for his share and he wouldn't let up, he even sat at the trash can looking at the wrapper begging for some.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87342
[/B][/QUOTE]

That is hilarious!!! We like Xtreme sticks (similar to slim jims) and we almost have to hide from paris when we are eating it! He hears the wrapper peel back from the jerky and comes FLYING around the corner- every time!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Little C will also abandon whatever she is doing/eating/bullying and run to gaze at the microwave in silent worship when she hears popcorn popping. Or any sound like a popcorn popping. Once I left the spaghetti sauce in too long and it made a loud pop noise (thankfully it was covered so there was no mess). Little C was POSITIVE that there was popcorn in there and I was lying to her. I finally had to make some just to get her away from the microwave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts