Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. Maggie Bella has always been a little shy but she seems to be getting scared of more and more. She was two in June. She will NOT tolerate anyone but me and my husband. My mother in law spent 3 weeks here and Maggie constantly barked at her. Oh she was fine as long as mom was sitting, but as soon as she got up and walked anywhere Maggie became a loud little terror. She does this with my sis in law, neice, kids, grandkids, even other dogs (until she gets used to them-the DOGS- after about a day).
She is even afraid of me and I have never done ANYTHING to hurt or scare her. She has to be with me constantly and follows me everywhere. I know she loves me, but if I reach for her when she is on the floor she hides. I have to always be on the floor or the bed, at her level, before she will let me touch her. Breaks my heart. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Why doesn't she trust me? :smpullhair:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow. I can totally relate to you! I am living with the same kind of dog. I would suggest finding a really good trainer who uses ONLY positive reinforcement as soon as possible. She sounds just like my Kodie with the exception that he doesn't hide from me when I try to pick him up. Kodie is very fear aggressive and has been in training for over 8 months now and is nowhere near being done. I just had a houseful of people on Christmas Eve as well as the day after Christmas and he behaved exactly the same way. He barked and he lunged at everybody. As soon as I would get him calmed down, somebody would get up and the barking would start all over again. My trainer told me it could take 2 years (or more) to fix the problem. It's baby steps with Kodie. So, I can totally feel your pain. Living with a fear aggressive dog is frustrating and heartbreaking. I was nearly in tears after our company left. Please don't wait to find a good trainer. Believe me when I tell you that her behavior will not get better on its own. She really needs the help of an experienced trainer or behaviorist to help her overcome her fear. Good luck and big hugs to you!!!

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Wow. I can totally relate to you! I am living with the same kind of dog. I would suggest finding a really good trainer who uses ONLY positive reinforcement as soon as possible. She sounds just like my Kodie with the exception that he doesn't hide from me when I try to pick him up. Kodie is very fear aggressive and has been in training for over 8 months now and is nowhere near being done. I just had a houseful of people on Christmas Eve as well as the day after Christmas and he behaved exactly the same way. He barked and he lunged at everybody. As soon as I would get him calmed down, somebody would get up and the barking would start all over again. My trainer told me it could take 2 years (or more) to fix the problem. It's baby steps with Kodie. So, I can totally feel your pain. Living with a fear aggressive dog is frustrating and heartbreaking. I was nearly in tears after our company left. Please don't wait to find a good trainer. Believe me when I tell you that her behavior will not get better on its own. She really needs the help of an experienced trainer or behaviorist to help her overcome her fear. Good luck and big hugs to you!!!
:goodpost:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I feel your pain too... I think it could have to do with how much socializing they are exposed to. We've been trying to take them out and about in the car and to the park and dog park more and more. They, of course, begin the adventures with the usual rukkus, but usually start to settle down and quiet down once they've been out a bit. I hope it is conditioning them. We had my BIL staying with us for about two months and they thought it was a fun 'game' to bark at him every time he'd come out of his room (they would settle down once he was in a family area but it was awful).

Glad to see you posting...missed you around here!!! xoxox

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you! I never thought a trainer would be the answer. Who knew. I have only used positive reinforcement with her. She is not big on going bye bye either, I might add. She lays in my lap or in her carrier ( I know, I know. I should always keep her in ther carrier) and will not look out the window. Trixie, on the otherhand, loves to go and looks out the window most of the time. Turn on the vacuum cleaner and she is outta here. She will snuggle on the couch, on the floor or on the bed but does not like me to try and pick her up when I am being "tall". She is my little heart and will not be in a room without me. Funny little girl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts