Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides rescuing maltese, I am on the Small Paws newsletter mailing list. They just recently got 21 bichons from a puppymill in Tulsa. Their condition made my two recent maltese rescues, Dani and Kirby, look like well loved pets. Everytime I look at this picture I just want to cry at the life they have lived thus far.

Is anyone else on their mailing list. It is amazing what they do for bichons in need.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh my god! That picture makes me cry! How could any human being treat another living creature that way?

I think everyone who is considering buying (or "saving") a puppy from a pet shop or broker should see that picture and remember that by doing so, they are guarenteeing that other dogs will continue to be forced to exist like that.

Will you be fostering any of these dogs?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 15 2005, 10:26 AM
Oh my god! That picture makes me cry! How could any human being treat another living creature that way?

I think everyone who is considering buying (or "saving") a puppy from a pet shop or broker should see that picture and remember that by doing so, they are guarenteeing that other dogs will continue to be forced to exist like that.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119791
[/QUOTE]

No, I am not signed up for their foster program. I just get their newsletters. They have over 6,000 on their mailing list and spend around $40,000 per month vetting these bichons. Isn't that incredible? Two of the rescues from this mill were maltese mixes. I wonder if there were a lot of malteses from this mill also. Small Paws only does bichons and bichon mixes. Most puppymills have many different breeds. I wish malteses had a big time rescue group like Small Paws.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by kab@Nov 15 2005, 09:17 AM
Besides rescuing maltese, I am on the Small Paws newsletter mailing list.  They just recently got 21 bichons from a puppymill in Tulsa.  Their condition made my two recent maltese rescues, Dani and Kirby, look like well loved pets.  Everytime I look at this picture I just want to cry at the life they have lived thus far.

Is anyone else on their mailing list.  It is amazing what they do for bichons in need.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119789
[/QUOTE]
OH MY!!!! The punishment needs to be much more severe OBVIOUSLY! If it were then less people would be doing this to the poor animals

G

·
This is so so sad! Those poor babies. That picture breaks my heart. My eyes are filled with tears. These people need to be severely punished. They should be made to live in the same conditions.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by kab+Nov 15 2005, 09:39 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Nov 15 2005, 10:26 AM

No, I am not signed up for their foster program. I just get their newsletters. They have over 6,000 on their mailing list and spend around $40,000 per month vetting these bichons. Isn't that incredible? Two of the rescues from this mill were maltese mixes. I wonder if there were a lot of malteses from this mill also. Small Paws only does bichons and bichon mixes. Most puppymills have many different breeds. I wish malteses had a big time rescue group like Small Paws.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119798
[/B][/QUOTE]

Northcentral Maltese Rescue is a "big time" Maltese rescue in my opinion. It's national and extremely well-organized. They take dogs from puppymills, too, not just owner turn-ins. Mary Palmer, the founder, was involved in the Hollybelle puppy mill seizure. Although the dogs were never surrendered to rescue groups, but kept in custody as evidence, then adopted by their fosters, Mary was asked to go to Tennessee and assist/educate all the wonderful volunteers who cared for these dogs while the trial was pending.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom+Nov 15 2005, 11:15 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 09:39 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Nov 15 2005, 10:26 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119798

[/QUOTE]

Northcentral Maltese Rescue is a "big time" Maltese rescue in my opinion. It's national and extremely well-organized. They take dogs from puppymills, too, not just owner turn-ins. Mary Palmer, the founder, was involved in the Hollybelle puppy mill seizure. Although the dogs were never surrendered to rescue groups, but kept in custody as evidence, then adopted by their fosters, Mary was asked to go to Tennessee and assist/educate all the wonderful volunteers who cared for these dogs while the trial was pending.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119815
[/B][/QUOTE]

I spoke with Mary a few months ago about 2 older maltese that were in need of rescue. She was unable to help me out at that time. I guess you can only do what funding and volunteers allow you to do. I know on their site they are requesting fosters. I think Small Paws has corporate funding also. They have one of their bichon rescues in Dog Fancy this issue. I got mine yesterday. TOO MANY PUPPYMILLS!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
"I spoke with Mary a few months ago about 2 older maltese that were in need of rescue. She was unable to help me out at that time. I guess you can only do what funding and volunteers allow you to do. I know on their site they are requesting fosters. I think Small Paws has corporate funding also. They have one of their bichon rescues in Dog Fancy this issue. I got mine yesterday. TOO MANY PUPPYMILLS!!"

That's why people like you are so special. Without fosters, rescue groups can't rescue. And there just are never enough. Until Lady got diabetes and I had to live on such a tight schedule, I volunteered a bit with the Virginia chapter of National Siamese Rescue. Siamese end up in shelters on a regular basis and when stressed, often either get aggressive or almost comatose with fear, neither of which makes them appear very adoptable. As a result, many are euthanized within the first few days. It was so sad when the rescue was full and had to be very picky about the few they could take. That's how I got my Sarah. Animal Control had contacted the group, but told them that Sarah was vicious so they wouldn't take her. She also had an amputated tail and any sort of deformity makes them less adoptable, too.

This "vicious" cat is the sweetest lovebug you've ever seen and was that way from the moment I sprung her from the shelter!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
LadysMom, I knew before I read that article that it would be heartbreaking but I read it anyway. I wish so bad that these puppymills would be put out of business. It hurts my heart so much to know these animals have to live this way. Thanks for posting it...everyone should be educated about these things, and I never really knew about them until I came to SM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts