Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big problem. When Obi is out of my room he goes potty outside, but when he is in my room and he cant hold it, he goes potty on his peepad. At night when im sleeping and he has to poop (1 or 2 times a week) he will go on his pad and he will then eat a piece. Than he will climb back onto my bad and i will be woken up to hte sound of him throwing up the piece of poop. How do i get him to stop if im not awake to tell him no? I cant use the bitter apple eveer on anything because he loves the taste. Will he eventually learn not to eat it b/c it makes him sick? or will i have to deal with this everytime he eats his poop?

~Danielle and Obi

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by MeandMyMalt@Sep 29 2005, 02:47 PM
I have a big problem. When Obi is out of my room he goes potty outside, but when he is in my room and he cant hold it, he goes potty on his peepad. At night when im sleeping and he has to poop (1 or 2 times a week) he will go on his pad and he will then eat a piece. Than he will climb back onto my bad and i will be woken up to hte sound of him throwing up the piece of poop. How do i get him to stop if im not awake to tell him no? I cant use the bitter apple eveer on anything because he loves the taste. Will he eventually learn not to eat it b/c it makes him sick? or will i have to deal with this everytime he eats his poop?

~Danielle and Obi
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104723
[/QUOTE]
*bed
*the
*ever

sorry i am not a very good typer hehe

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
AH! Another poop eater. Nikki eats poop if I'm not around. You can try forbid. It is something you put on their food to make their poop taste nasty. The cheapest I've seen it is here.

I've also heard of putting a drop of hot sauce in a piece of poop and letting them eat it. You just need to make sure they aren't teething or that would REALLY hurt. I haven't tried this.

I've also heard about using meat tenderizer, it would be used like the forbid. Not sure about the amount you would use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boy Malt Boomer used to do this and my vet recommended Aldolf's meat tenderizer sprinkled on his food. It worked! Just a tiny pinch added to the food and it makes the poop taste really awful...well, worse than it should! lol I did it for about a month straight and he never ate poop again!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by knash6@Oct 6 2005, 08:40 PM
My boy Malt Boomer used to do this and my vet recommended Aldolf's meat tenderizer sprinkled on his food.  It worked!  Just a tiny pinch added to the food and it makes the poop taste really awful...well, worse than it should! lol  I did it for about a month straight and he never ate poop again!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107304
[/QUOTE]

I have tried everything (exept meat tenderizer) with Bella and nothing works. I'm going to try this stuff right away. I can't stand the smell of her mouth when she eats it...it so disgusting.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella+Oct 7 2005, 08:19 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-knash6
@Oct 6 2005, 08:40 PM
My boy Malt Boomer used to do this and my vet recommended Aldolf's meat tenderizer sprinkled on his food.  It worked!  Just a tiny pinch added to the food and it makes the poop taste really awful...well, worse than it should! lol  I did it for about a month straight and he never ate poop again!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107304

I have tried everything (exept meat tenderizer) with Bella and nothing works. I'm going to try this stuff right away. I can't stand the smell of her mouth when she eats it...it so disgusting.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107407
[/B][/QUOTE]
I'll give that a try also. Nikki is still doing this occasionally and it is getting really old.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My favorite topic
Phoebe STILL does this. *cough* gag *cough* I thought she grew out of it, but this morning I had to do a bum wash before work, and after I sat her back down I noticed she needed a face wash :new_Eyecrazy: that was just SO gross!!

I am finally going to try the hot sauce, since her food is dry, I dont think the meat tenderizer will work. I also hope that the hot sauce will make her think twice about grabbing *any* poo, since she likes the turkeys in the yard too. I can't let her run around in the yard anymore because of them.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: I almost forgot:

·
Registered
285 Posts
isn't poop nasty smelling enough already.. i'm sure it tastes WORSE..
i have a friend that has tried everything with her pom. and he still eats his poo.. but i'm sure maltese are way more intelligent than pomeranians anyway~

good luck with Obi~

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Ohh yucky, I don't have this problem with Peechie. The only problem I have is her eating cat poop out of the litter box. I try and always get the poop out of the box right but sometimes don't get it in time. How gross eating cat poop, not to mention the breath afterwards and wants to kiss me, yuck, yuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I promise it worked for us. Boomer had the WORST breath all the time and I finally caught him in the act a couple of times eating it. My vet says it happens all the time...just a dog thing. The Aldoph's worked, and I already had some in my spice rack. The vet says that the treatments you can buy do the same thing as the Aldophs, but the Aldophs is much cheaper. He is a top notch Vet and I trusted him and I'm telling you it worked! lol Every once and awhile I sprinkle a little in their food just as a reminder to Boomer. His breath is nice and non-poopy smelling now. :D Good luck!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Karen542@Oct 8 2005, 09:28 AM
Ohh yucky, I don't have this problem with Peechie.  The only problem I have is her eating cat poop out of the litter box.  I try and always get the poop out of the box right but sometimes don't get it in time.  How gross eating cat poop, not to mention the breath afterwards and wants to kiss me, yuck, yuck

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107729
[/QUOTE]

*knock on wood* Brinkley has never eaten his own poo...but he is quite fond of the cats'!
I tried many remedies to keep him out of the cat room...with three cats, it was impossible to keep the box scooped every time they went...instead I bought two of the smaller rubbermaid tubs with lids. They are quite tall because I have large cats.
I used a box cutter and cut a big square hole out of one side of the lid....and put the litter in the bottom. The cats can jump up and get into it, but Brinkley can't!
It worked for us!
The rubbermaid tub idea is similar to the open top litterboxes they sell at the pet stores for this very purpose...but the ones designed for this were 25$ and these rubbermaid totes were FIVE!
They are also much bigger and roomier too than the regular cat boxes. When I feel like they need replacing...it is not such a dip into the budget now either...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Oct 8 2005, 03:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Karen542
@Oct 8 2005, 09:28 AM
Ohh yucky, I don't have this problem with Peechie.  The only problem I have is her eating cat poop out of the litter box.  I try and always get the poop out of the box right but sometimes don't get it in time.  How gross eating cat poop, not to mention the breath afterwards and wants to kiss me, yuck, yuck

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107729

*knock on wood* Brinkley has never eaten his own poo...but he is quite fond of the cats'!
I tried many remedies to keep him out of the cat room...with three cats, it was impossible to keep the box scooped every time they went...instead I bought two of the smaller rubbermaid tubs with lids. They are quite tall because I have large cats.
I used a box cutter and cut a big square hole out of one side of the lid....and put the litter in the bottom. The cats can jump up and get into it, but Brinkley can't!
It worked for us!
The rubbermaid tub idea is similar to the open top litterboxes they sell at the pet stores for this very purpose...but the ones designed for this were 25$ and these rubbermaid totes were FIVE!
They are also much bigger and roomier too than the regular cat boxes. When I feel like they need replacing...it is not such a dip into the budget now either...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107779
[/B][/QUOTE]
That's so funny...that's exactly what I did when we had a cat because Tucker also has an appetite for cat poop...yuck. And yes, the rubbermaid tubs are much cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts