Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting so frustrated...this is the third attempt at the same question....I don't feel well and really just want some help and this darn computer is driving me crazy. Teddy just erased the whole thing as I wrote the last line and the first one was lost because of the internet connection......grrrrrrrrrrrr
Sorry for the temper tantrum here...just really frustrated because my throat is swelling.

Anyway, I am really trying to get information on how best to take Teddy biking with me. I got a basket that I had put on the bike which actually quick releases so it can come on and off easily. The last couple of days I trained Teddy how to sit nicely in the basket itself and then today I decided a test ride would be in order. I put him in the basket in such a way that he cannot fall out of it...but he is so light that the first bump we went over had him flying in the air and then back into the basket...I am afraid this will tighten his harness around his neck as the bumps come.

I thought about getting a webbing of some kind that I can put over the top of the basket only allowing his head out but don't know if this is available or if I could make something like it. I also thought of using his car harness which is much sturdier but it is also loose on him...it is the smallest size but he can wiggle out of it because he is so small...I don't want him flying and going out of the basket. I also just thought that if I got him a whole body suit type thing which would have a clip on it that I can attach him to inside the basket.

Last fall you might remember that I had gotten a carrier which carried Teddy in the front of me like a baby type carrier that allows the legs to hang out as Teddy is held in front of me...but it was not safe enough for me as if he turned his head a certain way then he fell forward and out. I don't have a problem using something like this although it will be much better if he were in the basket if only for heat purposes.

Do any of you have any ideas or have any of you wonderful helpful folks taken your little ones on the bike. Teddy seems to like it and I know he will love it...if for no reason that he will be with me so I really would like to get this working.

Thanks for your help....I know that I have forgotten things on this third attempt but hopefully you will get the drift of the problem and have a solution.

Again, thanks

Susan

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Gee.....I really can't think of another way. I was gonna suggest the front carrier (before I got to that part in your post), maybe you can invent something like what you were talking about...with the webbing. I hope someone else can suggest something for you....

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I'm a little confused, is there a harness that came with the basket? Can you post the web site where you got the basket, to maybe give us a better idea?

How about putting a regular harness on Teddy and then clipping that to the basket?

Or I was thinking about the webbing idea and maybe you could somehow hook some elastic (like a bungee cord) to the webbing and wrap it under the basket and connect it to the other side.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
1. Many times when you accidentally erase the whole thing, hitting ctrl z brings it all back (unless you went to another page).

2. Dangers of carrying dogs....you'll do anything you can to protect them if you fall. I've got scars and it took MONTHS for the bruising to go away when Sir N and I crashed and slid down a hill. He didn't have a mark on him because I literally held him up until we came to a stop. He was in a front carrier strapped to me. If I hadn't been holding him up, I would have had much less bleeding and bruising. Not that I wish I HADN'T held him up....just, will never take him along again.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
3. and if you hit back after posting and then forget that you posted and hit the post button again, you end up with a double post and look silly.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Carrie, Nicole and NC for your help, it really is appreciated. The basket is just a bike basket that I have attached to the front of my bike. As the first attempt yesterday I had a normal harness on Teddy and he was then attached with a clip to the inside of the basket. Which is why he did not fly out only up. We only went about a 1/4 mile for the test so he was not being jostled long and actually only one unexpected bump did us in. Poor Teddy looked at me like what was that. But he did seem to like it other than that...

After thinking about this I realized that using his life jacket might be a great way to at least test my theory of attaching the life jacket to the bike so it does not move and then putting Teddy into that. This way it is never pulling on his neck or any other part of Teddy...he is comfortable the whole ride and protected from flying around.

NC - I truly do understand your concern about falling...I would be so upset with myself if something happened to Teddy, me is ok, Teddy no. But, with that said...I have been riding my bike for over 35 years and I only ever fell the 2nd day I learned to ride with an emergency room visit required. I guess that taught me something...I don't take chances.

Seriously, I would never take Teddy on a public road because the danger is too great. I live on a park which does not get traffic and has paved walks throughout - so taking him there is I hope safe. But, if I cannot find a way for him to not fly about or if I ever feel that he could be hurt...he will have to stay home. I took my daughter with me all the time when she was little and it was wonderful...but she had a seat specifically made for this...so I need to either be safe with Teddy or not take him.

Again, thank you so much for your help...you have no idea how greatful I am.

Susan

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't take chances either. I was hit from behind by an out-of-control inline skater. And, actually, I was on a scooter. When we fell, it fell on me, crushing my leg into the pavement...but it's probably why we didn't slide down the hill any further than we did. My father has had numerous accidents.....generally getting hit by other bikers or by cars....always from behind. My sister once flew off a hill to avoid hitting a little kid who crashed in front of her. My mother has been very lucky so far. (My family is heavily into biking.) You can't always control it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NC,

Thanks for responding - I hope that I did not offend you with the comment about chances...I think my words came out differently than what I meant to confey and they came out wrong. I am sure you also never took chances with your little one. You always sound like you care for your little ones so deeply.
And you are so correct that I will never know about what others may do from behind me....or if in fact an accident will happen. I am torn by wanting to share something with Teddy that I know he likes and I love with the thought that I may at some point have an accident - I would never forgive myself if something happened to Teddy. I did just start a new thread about my success in keeping him from bouncing and I also mentioned that I ordered a bike helmet for him.

I will continue to worry, I am sure, and I may stop taking him....I am just not sure though.

Please know that I appriciate your input and am so glad that you have helped me to see that anything is possible even if i pay close attention.

Susan

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm sorry if I sounded snarly. I'm pmsing all over the place right now.
Sir N really loved riding that scooter and even after the accident, he always wanted to ride more. I gave the scooter away to a co-worker immediately and Sir N would go crazy every time he heard a scooter...he wanted to ride again. I feel bad sometimes for depriving him of that, but the accident just scared me much too much.

Where did you find helmets for dogs? Although we have no need for them, the shopper in me feels like I simply must buy them for my kids. Do they come in pink?

EDIT: Dur...just saw your other thread with the link.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts