Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was wondering has anybody fed their maltese Bil Jac dog foo?. I bought some today an thought this would make them a good snack. They love it. I feel it is a very good snack for them along with there Science Diet dry dog food they get any time of the day I keep their bowls filled at all times with Science Diet. Any comments on Bil Jac would like to hear it.
Teaco

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco@Jun 4 2005, 09:12 PM
I just was wondering has anybody fed their maltese Bil Jac dog  foo?. I bought some today an thought this would make them a good snack. They love it. I feel it is a very good snack for them along with there Science Diet  dry dog food they get any time of the day I keep their bowls filled at all times with Science Diet. Any comments on Bil Jac would like to hear it.
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69050
[/QUOTE]

I would not use it. Tons of by-products, corn, even sugar (cane molassas). Honestly, this is one of the worst I've seen. It even has BHA a "bad" preservative. I suggest going with a premium food and ditch the Science Diet, too!! Try Innova, Artemis, Chicken Soup, Newman's.....

Here are the ingredients for the regular Bil-Jac dog food:

Fresh Chicken By-Products (Organ Meat Only), Fresh Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fresh Chicken Liver, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Eggs, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, sodium Bisulfate Complex, (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 4 2005, 08:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
@Jun 4 2005, 09:12 PM
I just was wondering has anybody fed their maltese Bil Jac dog  foo?. I bought some today an thought this would make them a good snack. They love it. I feel it is a very good snack for them along with there Science Diet  dry dog food they get any time of the day I keep their bowls filled at all times with Science Diet. Any comments on Bil Jac would like to hear it.
Teaco
I would not use it. Tons of by-products, corn, even sugar (cane molassas). Honestly, this is one of the worst I've seen. It even has BHA a "bad" preservative. I suggest going with a premium food and ditch the Science Diet, too!! Try Innova, Artemis, Chicken Soup, Newman's.....

Fresh Chicken By-Products (Organ Meat Only), Fresh Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fresh Chicken Liver, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Eggs, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, sodium Bisulfate Complex, (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69056
[/B][/QUOTE]

EWWW.

PLEASE SWITCH FAST~!!

i like royal canin
i know it doesn't have the BEST ingredients.. but it works well with lucy, she loves it, so why not?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 4 2005, 08:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
Teaco

[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow I wasn't aware Science Diet wasn't that great of a dog food, I do know Atwoods where I get my dog food at sells the chicken soup dog food as far as the others you quoted I don't recall seeing them but I will be looking. Thanks so much for the info I am not to up on this stuff an all the info helps. Bil Jac umm guess the Blue Hiller will be getting that then . Ok what kind of canned puppy food is good to start the puppies on?
Teaco

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco+Jun 4 2005, 09:23 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 4 2005, 08:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
Teaco

[/QUOTE]

Wow I wasn't aware Science Diet wasn't that great of a dog food, I do know Atwoods where I get my dog food at sells the chicken soup dog food as far as the others you quoted I don't recall seeing them but I will be looking. Thanks so much for the info I am not to up on this stuff an all the info helps. Bil Jac umm guess the Blue Hiller will be getting that then . Ok what kind of canned puppy food is good to start the puppies on?
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69058
[/B][/QUOTE]

If you have access to Chicken Soup, then I'd go with that. Regarding canned puppy food, I'd still go with the good brands mentioned above and Chicken Soup also. There are quite a few good foods... lots more than the few I mentioned. See if the store will give you some samples as it may take a few tries to find one your babies love.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I used it. I hated it. I think my babies loved it, but I saw nothing good come out of it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jun 4 2005, 08:41 PM
I used it.  I hated it.  I think my babies loved it, but I saw nothing good come out of it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69063
[/QUOTE]
You said you have used the Chicken soup for your babies but wouldn't use it again. Is that what you are saying. I am little slow of catching on forgive me. I am just want everybodies impoot that I know I am feeding my babies an adults the best that I can find. I have always fed Science Diet. I fed Dimond puppy food for a little while that is what few of my fur kidz was on when I brought them home but switched to Science Diet.
Teaco

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco+Jun 4 2005, 09:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Jun 4 2005, 08:41 PM
I used it.  I hated it.  I think my babies loved it, but I saw nothing good come out of it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69063
You said you have used the Chicken soup for your babies but wouldn't use it again. Is that what you are saying. I am little slow of catching on forgive me. I am just want everybodies impoot that I know I am feeding my babies an adults the best that I can find. I have always fed Science Diet. I fed Dimond puppy food for a little while that is what few of my fur kidz was on when I brought them home but switched to Science Diet.
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69065
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that she is referring to Bil Jac. Lots of people on SM use Chicken Soup.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I never fed mine chicken soup. I fed mine Bil jac's at one point and I didnt like it at all. I've heard chicken soup is good. Right now, I'm using Royal Canin Yorkshire formula. I don't care for Natural Balance (both allergy and ultra formula). I was never really satisfied with anything. If I dont like royal canin, I'm either trying newmans or back to Science diet.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jun 4 2005, 08:51 PM
I never fed mine chicken soup.  I fed mine Bil jac's at one point and I didnt like it at all.  I've heard chicken soup is good.  Right now, I'm using Royal Canin Yorkshire formula.  I don't care for Natural Balance (both allergy and ultra formula).  I was never really satisfied with anything.  If I dont like royal canin, I'm either trying newmans or back to Science diet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69068
[/QUOTE]
IC I just didn't know if it was all that good to switch them on different feed very often. I just never have.
Teaco

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I've just been looking for a good brand. If I can find one, I really wont switch anymore. LOL If my butt ever gets out of school, I may start cooking for them. Like have half cooked food and half dog food. But we'll see.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley is eating Chicken Soup for the Petlovers Soul. I tried Science Diet when I first got him home, because that is what you had him on. He nibbled and only seemed to eat it because he HAD to.
So I switched him to Purina Pro Plan for small breeds.
Same thing as SD, he just didn't eat it like he liked it. So I tried the Chicken Soup after I finally found a place close enough that sold it.
He liked it!
So that is what we are sticking with for now. I give him a few tablespoons of canned in the morning with about 1/2 cup of kibble. He usually eats the canned and then nibbles the kibble all day until it is gone by bedtime.
The price is actually just a dollar different (higher) than the Science Diet I was buying.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I had the hardest time finding a food that PEanut would eat and at one point I tried BilJac and he loved it. I wasn't too happy about the ingredients, but at that point it was more important that he was eating regularly. The reason I stopped feeding it was because Peanut was having allergic reactions to it. He was chewing on his legs and he had terrible #2's. Turns out he is allergic to corn and BilJacs has a lot of corn in it. My vet recommended Science diet, but that too has corn and some other ingredients I don't like. I got some canned Merrick today and the boys loved it. It's not just brown mush like other canned foods, but actual chunks of chicken, peas, carrot, and potatoes. I have a sample of the Merrick kibble, but I didn't try it yet. The bag says it has dried peas and carrot and potatoes too. The boys are eating Artemis small breed kibble with the Merricks mixed in. They are both doing really well on the Artemis.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 4 2005, 11:16 PM
I had the hardest time finding a food that PEanut would eat and at one point I tried BilJac and he loved it.  I wasn't too happy about the ingredients, but at that point it was more important that he was eating regularly.  The reason I stopped feeding it was because Peanut was having allergic reactions to it.  He was chewing on his legs and he had terrible #2's.  Turns out he is allergic to corn and BilJacs has a lot of corn in it.  My vet recommended Science diet, but that too has corn and some other ingredients I don't like.  I got some canned Merrick today and the boys loved it.  It's not just brown mush like other canned foods, but actual chunks of chicken, peas, carrot, and potatoes.  I have a sample of the Merrick kibble, but I didn't try it yet.  The bag says it has dried peas and carrot and potatoes too.  The boys are eating Artemis small breed kibble with the Merricks mixed in.  They are both doing really well on the Artemis.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69105
[/QUOTE]

He probably loved the Bil Jac because of the sugar in it. Glad they're doing well on the Artemis...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We got the sample Innova and tried it on both puppies. They loved it.
So I picked up the bag this weekend. I have mixed it in with the royal cainn to get them off it slowly. Chester has a very sensitive tummy. I say it will take about a month and they will be both on Innova only. I wanted the newmens but could not find it anywere. I thought about ordering over the internet but then I would end up pay ing tice the money.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 5 2005, 09:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Jun 4 2005, 11:16 PM
I had the hardest time finding a food that PEanut would eat and at one point I tried BilJac and he loved it.  I wasn't too happy about the ingredients, but at that point it was more important that he was eating regularly.  The reason I stopped feeding it was because Peanut was having allergic reactions to it.  He was chewing on his legs and he had terrible #2's.  Turns out he is allergic to corn and BilJacs has a lot of corn in it.  My vet recommended Science diet, but that too has corn and some other ingredients I don't like.  I got some canned Merrick today and the boys loved it.  It's not just brown mush like other canned foods, but actual chunks of chicken, peas, carrot, and potatoes.  I have a sample of the Merrick kibble, but I didn't try it yet.  The bag says it has dried peas and carrot and potatoes too.  The boys are eating Artemis small breed kibble with the Merricks mixed in.  They are both doing really well on the Artemis.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69105
He probably loved the Bil Jac because of the sugar in it. Glad they're doing well on the Artemis...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69197
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ya, I always questioned the sugar in it. I'm glad I found Artemis though! Finally Peanut is eating well and not suffering from upset tummies anymore!! :D

Originally posted by Chelsey@Jun 5 2005, 11:24 AM
We got the sample Innova and tried it on both puppies.  They loved it.
So I picked up the bag this weekend.  I have mixed it in with  the royal cainn to get them off it slowly.  Chester has a very sensitive tummy.  I say it will take about a month and they will be both on Innova only.  I wanted the newmens but could not find it anywere.  I thought about ordering over the internet but then I would end up pay ing tice the money.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69218
[/QUOTE]
I'm glad yours are loving the Innova.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.