Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I found out that my Mimie was a puppy mill dog ( she was purchased at pet shop by hubbie). Well, this past July Mimie had puppies and since I found out where she came from originally and with Marsha's advise, I went ahead and had the vile acid test done on Mimie, Cappi and Max. THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!! what a piece of mind! the vet has been checking them and their knees are also in GREAT shape! PHEWWWWWWWW!

Yesterday, Cappi and Max had their parvo shot and they did great. Booster in 3 weeks and then NEUTER!! OMG I feel like I have been running a MARATHON of emotions and fears!

This is my Max - AKA as GORDITO which means fattie! :chili::chili::chili:
The Gang ! 013.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Barbara - Max is too cute for words. I don't think he's Gordito at all..maybe Cutito.:wub::wub: Am so happy about the test results. Doesn't it feel like a weight is gone from your shoulders? BTW you wrote Vile Acid Test instead of Bile.:smrofl::smrofl: Gave me such a laugh. Happy you have happy and healthy fluffs. You'll be off the marathon soon:)

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I am curious about your terminology, I assume by NEGATIVE you mean that the test came back in NORMAL range?

I am confused because Bile acid tests do not give a positive or negative result. They come back in a range of numbers and there is a cut off for what is considered normal range versus a high reading which while not normal does not indicate a shunt, and then there is a very high reading which may indicate the need for further testing.

I do not mean to nitpick, I am just trying to understand if the test you had done was the same one I think of when I consider a Bile Acid test and I am also thinking that for others who may be considering having the test done that this kind of description could also cause confusion.

Glad that your crew checked out all healthy and safe and you can relax, after the neuter of course. ;)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normal

Oh dear God! please forgive me? the results are NORMAL none of them have liver issues. The vet told me that they are as healthy as they come. Thank God. :aktion033::aktion033::aktion033:

After all the stress, I am the 1 with high liver enzymes, rapid heart beat and the works! :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

Thank you Marsha! I really appreciate your guidance, patience and advises. We need less criticism and more advises around here! Because, God forbid we write something in less that VET MEDICAL TERMS!!!!:smilie_tischkante::smilie_tischkante: that is 1 big NO NO right?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A while back, I found out that my Mimie was a puppy mill dog ( she was purchased at pet shop by hubbie). Well, this past July Mimie had puppies and since I found out where she came from originally and with Marsha's advise, I went ahead and had the vile acid test done on Mimie, Cappi and Max. THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!! what a piece of mind! the vet has been checking them and their knees are also in GREAT shape! PHEWWWWWWWW!

Yesterday, Cappi and Max had their parvo shot and they did great. Booster in 3 weeks and then NEUTER!! OMG I feel like I have been running a MARATHON of emotions and fears!

View attachment 91698
Thank you! so much for the spell check! LOL Max is quite a HAM and I guess I just compare him to Cappi who is much smaller. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!:ThankYou:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
:huh: Ummm, did I upset you? If so, I did not mean to.

Perhaps you misunderstood my tone as it is difficult to convey on an online, but it was not meant to be critical, rather it was meant to ask for clarification so as to give guidance and advice to those who might seek it. :innocent:

·
Registered
597 Posts
"Gordito" is adorable. I'm so happy you got great news on the liver test. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my goodness YES! I was driving the Vet CRAZY and she finally did it!! I have to get strong for the neuter! yikes. My husband crosses his legs each time I talk about it! LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts

View attachment 91698
was the bile acid test done for liver shunt? if so how is it done and how long does it take for the results as i have an appointment for the vets next week for Baby Bella as she still only weights 2 pounds 5 ounces at 21 weeks and she seems so small compared to my other girls at that age, yet she is so health and energetic ... so fingers crossed she is ok and just going to be petit ... if she had liver shunt would i have signs by now?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Results

My babies were born on July 14. She did it 2 weeks ago and since I was a CHICKEN I waited until next appointment ( this past WED) and she gave me the results. She started with a BIG smile and told me; those babies are as healthy as they come! please STOP worrying!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

The reason I did this is because I NEEDED to get it off my head after I found out that my Mimie ( their mother ) is a puppy mill baby:unsure::unsure:

Your baby is very young and she will grow some more. Cappi was less than that and he is now almost 4 lbs. 3.8 to be exact.

Maxi on the other hand, is mY FAT BOY!!!! :smrofl:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My babies were born on July 14. She did it 2 weeks ago and since I was a CHICKEN I waited until next appointment ( this past WED) and she gave me the results. She started with a BIG smile and told me; those babies are as healthy as they come! please STOP worrying!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

The reason I did this is because I NEEDED to get it off my head after I found out that my Mimie ( their mother ) is a puppy mill baby:unsure::unsure:

Your baby is very young and she will grow some more. Cappi was less than that and he is now almost 4 lbs. 3.8 to be exact.

Maxi on the other hand, is mY FAT BOY!!!! :smrofl:
thanks for that as i am a little paranoid about her weight !!!, i feel really bad sometimes as i think i worry more about my little girls than my own children (although they are now 19 and 24!!) ... i think i am going through the empy nest syndrome .. lol .. that it why i have three dogs .... when i tell my friends i have another dog they assume my house must be full of madness, but infact the girls are really well behaved as i work from home and they tend to sleep around my legs, i know that each dog is individual but i have been blessed with really good little girls .. am i tempting fate though .. time will tell ...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Glad everyone is healthy... now just take a deep breath and get Gorditas little *um* surgery so you don't have to worry about any more pups ;)

I think Gordita would be the perfect name for Pip now...she is eating like a piggy these days and hubby says she looks like a little brick. She's the smallest and very cute, albiet a bit square shaped these days. I have to be really careful with her since she has so many byb-rescue dog emotional issues so am trying to figure out the best way to have her eat w/o getting into everyone else's dishes... Maybe she just needs her teeth wired together for a month HAHAHA j/k

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
appetite

Each time I walk into the kitchen or they hear plates rattling the RUN in and STARE at me:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

I tell them that I am NOT AUNT JEMIMA, Betty Crocker or Sarah Lee :chili::chili: but to tell youthe truth, I appreciate their appetites :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
My Sammie will get his soon. I'm nervous too. The Vet said to wait but I can't. It is a battle with Vet to get them to understand. Sammie has no symptoms after eating and he is almost 5 lbs, so he says he does not need BAT. But his brother had a severe one and passed at 5 months. I had never heard of it.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
I am curious about your terminology, I assume by NEGATIVE you mean that the test came back in NORMAL range?

I am confused because Bile acid tests do not give a positive or negative result. They come back in a range of numbers and there is a cut off for what is considered normal range versus a high reading which while not normal does not indicate a shunt, and then there is a very high reading which may indicate the need for further testing.

I do not mean to nitpick, I am just trying to understand if the test you had done was the same one I think of when I consider a Bile Acid test and I am also thinking that for others who may be considering having the test done that this kind of description could also cause confusion.

Glad that your crew checked out all healthy and safe and you can relax, after the neuter of course. ;)
Hi, My Sammie will be tested soon. I read that if test numbers are 50-99 not to do anymore testing unless he has symptoms. He does not. Vet said no need to test him, but I am. If he is over 100 then I would do a Protein C test ONLY if he had symptoms. So he prob wont test over 100 plus if he has no symptoms, right? DO YOU AGREE WITH MY PLAN?
THANKS!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts