Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (YumYum @ Jun 17 2009, 02:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792410
QUOTE (Dr.Jaimie @ Sep 28 2007, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=444319
yes for those of u that havent run a bile acids on ur malt..i suggest u do so..... it will be interesting to see how many out there have a high BA and are not symptomatic. if ur malt does come back with a high BA i suggest u contact dr. center with ur bredder/ pedigree info to help her out in her research.[/B]
Please, who is Dr. Center. I am looking for help getting my service dog the liver shunt surgery.

I purchased a one year old Squaw Creek Kennels bred Maltese from Sportsman's Kennels on May 18, 2008 for a service dog. She came with 3 health certificates. In March 2009, I took her to be spayed. Blood work for anesthesia revealed 3 elevated liver enzymes. Bile acid tests were elevated and revealed her liver function is abnormal. These indicate either a portosystemic liver shunt or microvascular shunts, both Congenital Conditions that would be undiscoverable until symptomatic, without specific blood tests.

Several professionals believe that Pollyanna was sold and returned, and perhaps her condition was known, partly because the kennel only produced 4 months of vet records ending in September 2007 for a year of residence. They also sold her for less than half the original asking price.

I went out to Sportsmans Kennels on Friday with Pollyanna to ask them to pay the $1800 diagnostic fees and $3000 surgery fees I was quoted. Helen, the owner, told me I was legally entitled to nothing because of the Lemon Law that protects the Kennel after 2 weeks. After 2 hours discussion, Helen, said she would pay for the portogram and necessary surgery. She reiterated this over and over.

On Monday, I called my vet and told him Sportsmans Kennels had assured me she would pay for the care. He called Helen and she shouted him down and told him that she had reconsidered and would not honor her verbal commitment to me.

She called me the next night yelling. She said her vets said it was "overkill" to treat this dog. She said that the dog is too small and will die in surgery. She said she would give me $1300 for the dog, I could keep her but don't treat her, and a puppy: because Pollyanna “would have a short life and I could train the puppy to be a service dog and then when Pollyanna dies you well not feel bad.” I told her Pollyanna could be saved if I had the money. She said I was entitled to nothing; she said her vets said it was probably just an infection. I told her that her Web site claims a 2 year Genetic Guarantee and she said that only reimburses the price of the dog. . I told her I would contact Squaw Creek Kennels if she didn't feel it was her responsibility, and she warned me not to contact "Ed", "If you call Ed, you are done with me."

My vet sent all the blood work to her vets by Friday. On Saturday she called me and told me she had no legal obligation. I reminded her repeatedly that she had made a verbal contract with me to pay the portagram and the surgery. She said she never said she would do the right thing. "I don't talk like that." She was furious. She said her vets said it could be 100 things and was most likely a bacterial infection. She said I lied when I said the dog was going to die, and that I committed slander against her. I said that is what I was told.

After insisting that she would not pay, she said she wanted the dog on antibiotics for one week and then wanted the blood work (which was done twice) redone by her vets. She said she wanted the sonogram and portogram by her vets. I said, by somebody impartial, and she said no, her people. She was supposed to call on Monday but never called.

Since my dog is getting worse and since my vet and blood work say she does not have an infection, I decided to borrow the money and have a sonogram done. Unfortunately, the sonogram (only 25% reliable to reveal a shunt but necessary to see if the other organs are normal. The portogram is 100% reliable and more expensive.) showed that Pollyanna has an "extra vessel" which could be a true shunt or a vessel caused by microshunts. A portagram will specify. Her liver is normal size on the right and extra small on the left.

Read "Puppy Mill Probe .." on Topix. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/east-north...PGKDT0GOJ2F6O03
[/B][/QUOTE]

Dr. Center is at Cornell. Here is her contact information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/faculty/Center/

Where are you located? Dr. Tobias at the University of Tennessee is also an expert on liver shunts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi LadysMom and JMM,

Thank you so very much for the contact information. I am desperate to save Pollyanna and really appreciate your kind help.
The Kennel told me don't treat her, just let her die; that she will die in the surgery anyway because she is too small. She is only 2 years old.
And so very sweet, energetic and imaginative. She is a trained service dog. I can't believe that God sent her to me after I lost Yum Yum, just so she could die. I believe that he knew I would fight for her with the same conviction I fought my own multiple melanoma.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our one year-old, male, 3.8 pound maltese was diagnosed with a liver shunt last week. We are trying to medically manage this with ld food, metamucil, lactulose and metriniazole. Surgery is to costly for us. Is anyone managing their maltese this way?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Our one year-old, male, 3.8 pound maltese was diagnosed with a liver shunt last week. We are trying to medically manage this with ld food, metamucil, lactulose and metriniazole. Surgery is to costly for us. Is anyone managing their maltese this way?
I'd suggest starting a new thread to get some feedback.

Was surgery recommended and just too expensive or did your vet feel it could managed without surgery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i'm just reading this thread about liver shunts and bile acid tests. My little guy just had a bile acid done and it was 238. The vet says it is liver shunt. I'm in the investigational stage right now. I'm also in PA. Could you tell me who did your surgery and how is your precious malt now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks Barb Fabrizio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, thank you for posting this information. Do not waste your money on idexx snap...Get a regular serum bile acid test (pre-prandial and post-prandial). The dog is fasted overnight for 12 hours, taken in for a blood draw. They feed the dog, then 2 hrs later take another blood draw.
As far as liver shunts and MVD goes. Most dogs who have liver shunt are diagnosed by the age of 1, but I have seen dogs much older than that be diagnosed, from 3-7 yrs old.
When they have MVD, many times, symptoms go unnoticed, so the dog may not be diagnosed until 2,3, or even much older than that...
Numbers above normal range but below 100, typically point more towards liver shunt.
Numbers above 100, typically point more towards MVD.
There are always exceptions to these "generalizations." I know of a yorkie whose numbers were under 100 and had a liver shunt, and I know several dogs, including my own, who have had number beyond 300 that have MVD.
MVD and liver shunts are usually congenital, but it is possible for a dog to have an "acquired" shunt later in life also.
About 15% of dogs who have liver shunt ligation surgery develop acquired shunts as well...
I adopted a little girl in Sept and had Bile Acid test done. Most numbers was within range. Alt was 86 reference range is 8-75......GGT 11 ref range is 0-2......Glu 185 ref range is 77-150. vet wants me to have ultrasound...Has anyone had these test?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I adopted a little girl in Sept and had Bile Acid test done. Most numbers was within range. Alt was 86 reference range is 8-75......GGT 11 ref range is 0-2......Glu 185 ref range is 77-150. vet wants me to have ultrasound...Has anyone had these test?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
What were the bile acid test results? The results you posted would have been from a blood panel and none of those results seem so remarkable as to warrant an ultrasound. Did you have a bile acid test done? A paired sample ... meaning a blood draw, feed a meal, wait 2 hours, and then a second blood draw? If you had that done you will get two results, one from each blood draw.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Hope this is okay I post this here... I know this is an ongoing post, but hasn't been responded to in a year....

In Grace's case - all the vets believe her liver issues are from her vaccine injury.

They are hoping her liver heals itself......

So does repeating the BAT in her case seem worthwhile?

We've done 2 now, waiting on her 3rd (done today)..... her 2nd was better than the 1st. But still high (need to get copies of results so I can post them).....hoping the 3rd comes back better.

In a case where the liver damage was *caused* by something like a vaccine mistake - would the BAT ever be normal?

Or is it just a waste of time and since Grace has liver issues she will always have liver issues?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, we had the same issue with our maltese. The vet believes that they are born with the liver shunt....it just inevitably gets worse with time. The good news is that I really managed to keep her heath under control with a lot of hard work, she lived to be almost 13. You must NOT feed the dog anything with any protein in it!!! The only acceptable dog food is Science Diet L/D - for Liver Disease. Absolutely no table food ever or dog treats with protein in it. We gave her crackers as a treat. You also cannot give any medications that are not absolutely necessary - they compromise the liver too. Also exposure to chemicals: lawn, cleaning, etc. adds to liver damage. You must be very viligant. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
You must NOT feed the dog anything with any protein in it!!! The only acceptable dog food is Science Diet L/D - for Liver Disease. Absolutely no table food ever or dog treats with protein in it. We gave her crackers as a treat.
Protein is essential to all cells. You have to have protein so that their bodies can work, heal, regenerate any damage.... Protein is essential.

Protein needs limited. And the best form of protein for "liver dogs" is vegetarian. You do feed lower protein, but it is important to feed some protein otherwise the dog will go into HE (Hepatic Encephalopathy).

Grace eats a very clean and simple home cooked diet. She is given plenty of bright colorful veggies that will give her good vitamins and antioxidants. She is fed vegetarian protein (dairy, eggs, tofu, legumes). Occasionally she has a small amount of white fish. But always in a mix of the other proteins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tori,

I'm curious to find out more about Gracie's vaccine injury. Can you give more info on that?

We just had Scouts BAT and the vet said her numbers are very high. Although she has no symptoms, they suspect a shunt. But she hasn't yet had any ultra sounds/MRI or CT to back up the diagnosis. All this happened recently, as she was about to be spayed and we got the pre-surgery blood results.

She got very sick after her Lepto vaccine. Is there a coincidence?

101 - 118 of 118 Posts