Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i just wanted to remind eveyone that this is the time of year that birds of prey are looking for small animals to eat
. ( and feed their young) So please everyone don't leave your babys outside..
We were out yesterday and one was watching us. I just want everyone to keep a close eye on their malts....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I keep telling my friends that birds are why I always have to be right there with Bella in the back yard if she's out there and they think I have completely lost my mind, but I completely agree with you! I guess they can keep thinking I'm crazy because I'm going to keep following her around and yelling at birds when they get too close.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The building I work in is in downtown Raleigh, an octagonal building with an interior courtyard. Since we have a cafeteria here and many people eat in the courtyard in the nice weather, we have lots of big fat pigeons hanging around!

Just two weeks ago, a hawk (in the city?) swooped down and grabbed on of the big pigeons. It was horrible to watch as it tore the poor thing apart. It was huge and could have easily grabbed a small Maltese.

Did you see the CNN story a few years ago about the dachshund attacked by the Eagle?

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/03/15/eagle.attack/

·
Registered
499 Posts
Scary! My husband thinks I am nuts to be so protective of my "kids", but we have huge hawks and owls that are in the trees right next to our house. I have seen them pick up large rabbits, a Maltese wouldn't even put up a fight.
Quincymom

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This is so scary to think of. I got a call a couple of months ago when I first brought Phoebe home that a hawk had been circling my house a good bit (not the first time). I live near the woods, and it could be after anything, but to think that one of them could come down and take my little 4 lb thing just kills me

I got a pen for her but decided to return it for this reason. I am going to think about a harness and a runner type thing so that shes never without something for me to hold on to. I let her run in the yard when we are out, but who knows if something is desperate enough it could come down even with me being there.

I think this is an excellent reminder for everyone. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Thats something I always thought about. My husband always thought I was a bit nuts for not leaving my little baby outside on a lead for a short while. When she goes out I am always with her, never unsupervised. I always feared a big hawk might fly down and scoop my baby up. It scares me to even think about it.

Peechie's Mom - Karen

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jun 16 2005, 01:05 PM
This is so scary to think of.  I got a call a couple of months ago when I first brought Phoebe home that a hawk had been circling my house a good bit (not the first time).  I live near the woods, and it could be after anything, but to think that one of them could come down and take my little 4 lb thing just kills me

I got a pen for her but decided to return it for this reason.  I am going to think about a harness and a runner type thing so that shes never without something for me to hold on to.  I let her run in the yard when we are out, but who knows if something is desperate enough it could come down even with me being there. 

I think this is an excellent reminder for everyone. Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73100
[/QUOTE]

I don't even think a runner would help to be honest. We had the heavy cable wire from one of those dog trolleys bolted to our house in two places to hold bird feeders up and away from the squirrels. They were right in front of our bay window. One morning we saw a hawk swoop down and grab the suet cake in it's mesh holder from the cable. It ripped the cable completely out of the house in one swoop and flew away with it. You don't realize how huge those birds are until you see one in full wingspan, talons out, that close up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are in the country so i think we see a lot of big birds. But it only took one time and it scared me. My husband also thought I was a little paranoid, tell he watch this big bird drop down and try to get Mia..

·
Registered
4 Posts
my aunt's sister lost her dog to a chicken hawk about a year ago
and they found their poor little puppy about 3 days later.. the poor thing.. so i know all about those birds

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I was outside one night with Scooby and we got swooped by a huge owl and that scared the you know what out of me, so I will always stay with him outside no matter what. I have never seen one since nor have I ever seen any hawks around here but I still will be vigilant where Scooby is concerned

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
We live on the river and there is always eagles,hawks,owls etc around.I always go outside with the babies & we have a huge fenced in yard. But Im not taking any chances on what might swoop down from the sky.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We live on the river and there is always eagles,hawks,owls etc around.I always go outside with the babies & we have a huge fenced in yard. But Im not taking any chances on what might swoop down from the sky.

You know Sheila, I love those great big eagles, they are so majestic and smart too. I was watching one once flying around with a stick in its talons and wondered why it was doing that, then it landed on the ice and stood on that stick to keep its feet off the ice, now how smart is that.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
A few years back my hubby, Missy and I were in our back yard. Missy was napping on the patio and hubby and I were within 15-20 feet of her but off on the grass, picking up twigs and branches that had blown down with a recent storm.
I saw first a 'shadow' of a bird fly into a nearby tree and thought nothing if it.. truthfully I thought it was just a crow as some of them are pretty large.
Then I suddenly saw this 'thing" fly from the first tree , over my head to a second tree that was closer to the patio.. I looked up and it was a HUGE! chicken hawk! It perched on a branch and was looking right down at Missy!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran and scooped her up and put her inside the house. The hawk remained for a few minutes then flew off.
I have no doubt it was stalking Missy and apparently our being right there was no deterrent. They can swoop at amazing speed! They often just grap the "victim" and fly off, which can happen in a matter of seconds!..then drop which usually kills or injures enough for them to "handle". When I was a kid neighbors had chickens and I saw some of these hawks pick up some pretty large chickens with no problem whatsoever.
Terry and Missy

·
Registered
751 Posts
My hubby is getting nuts about protecting the pup we haven't even gotten yet. Now he is saying we need to keep the dog inside because it may be too hot. We live in Virginia. I explained to him it's the sun that can hurt the pup but I belive fresh air is good for dogs.

We would never leave the pup outside alone.

He thinks the pup should go out, do it's business and come right back in. I didn't know this upcoming dad could be so protective. He had me crawling on the floor to get a puppies view of anything the puppy could get.

He wasn't this protective of the children when they were babies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
He had me crawling on the floor to get a puppies view of anything the puppy could get.

He wasn't this protective of the children when they were babies.

Connie... that is just too funny.. I have a mental image of someone crawling around on the floor.. looking for dangers...
But all kidding aside... I think it is a very good idea. We just never know what these little ones might get into. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts

You know Sheila, I love those great big eagles, they are so majestic and smart too. I was watching one once flying around with a stick in its talons and wondered why it was doing that, then it landed on the ice and stood on that stick to keep its feet off the ice, now how smart is that.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74568
Did you know that their nests can weigh around 2 tons! Yes 2 tons,and they are usually at least 8 foot wide! Amazing,but your so right they are beautiful & majestic.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
When I first came here to live I was so fascinated by these beautiful huge birds that I had hubby take me to the Mississippi every week just to see them on the ice and I was amazed at how many of them congregate there. My hubby is good friends with Jack Morgan who has a house on the river and he allows us to sit there and watch the eagles from his home. I had some nice pictures that I sent back home to my family for them to see. Where I come from there are no eagles and no other threats to our furkids from any wildlife so you can imagine how new all of this is to me.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Jun 23 2005, 11:07 AM
When I first came here to live I was so fascinated by these beautiful huge birds that I had hubby take me to the Mississippi every week just to see them on the ice and I was amazed at how many of them congregate there. My hubby is good friends with Jack Morgan who has a house on the river and he allows us to sit there and watch the eagles from his home. I had  some nice pictures that I sent back home to my family for them to see. Where I come from there are no eagles and no other threats to our furkids from any wildlife so you can imagine how new all of this is to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74655
[/QUOTE]
My hometown, Dubuque, IA, is right on the Mississippi river. Every winter hundreds of eagles come there for about a month to "fish". It is amazing to see all of these huge birds sitting on the ice.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I live in Northeast Ohio and my house is surrounded by the metro parks. We have lots of birds and owls here. I know some of the rangers and they have all told me to watch Lacey when we are outside. They find dog/cat collars in some of the nest that they are watching and studying. Now we have coyotes and about a month ago a maltese was taken out of a backyard. The owner was about 10 feet away and nothing she could do. My neighbors had a coyote try and get her yorkie that was inside her house. The coyote saw the puppy through the patio doors and thought he could get to the puppy. Normally coyotes stay away from humans but we are having a problem with raccoon rabies...coyotes eating the infected raccoons and getting infected.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts