Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week end Puddles started biting his foot. Since our vet is open until 10 on Monday nights, hubby wanted him checked out before he chewed a sore spot (and I thought I was protective). The vet saw nothing wrong, no fleas or cut place from grooming. Said it may be allergies and gave him an injection. She advised that if this didn't help to change him food to a lower protein. It upset me so that he may have allergies, I forgot the name of food she wanted him on. It was some type of initials, not a long name.

Any one experience this with their babies?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
was the food z/d?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I had almost the exact same experience. Frosty began chewing her feet so much that she had the bed wet. Hubby thought she had peed on the bed and was about to get upset. I said I didn't think that was what it was, and smelled it...LOL. Sure enough (luckily for me) it wasn't pee. So when we went to the vet, she told me the same thing. Since the weather had been nice, we had been going outside ALOT more than normal. Frosty had never liked grass, but now the vet thinks she is allergic to grass. She was put on prednisone and an antihistamine. I did less frequent doses than recommended by vet (since my children all have asthma and allergies I didn't want as much of the stuff in her system) and what a difference it made. While I don't make Frosty walk in the grass anymore, we still go for car rides and she still walks on the concrete when the weather isn't too hot. We have come completely off both meds and she is doing great. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
its Hydrolyzed Protein , a process that breaks down intact animal proteins and virtually eliminates the possibility of an adverse reaction to food. Most reactions occur because of an allergy to beef, dairy products or wheat. its a good product for food allergies...i also like the IVD diets..but if u go to an allergy diet u need to make sure the heart wrom preventative is changed to and u eliminate other foods in the diet.

of course if it is just a little feet chewing i dont know if this warrents a diet change unless it is severe. i know some dogs that ears swell up and they are constantly eating their feet...thats a situation where i think change is needed. you can always wait it out and see if it is seasonal...if it is seasonal then it isnt the food

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will see how he does in the next month, before changing foods. Right now he is knocked out, guess its from the shot. Now hubby is worried that they made him sick, he's just laying around.

Change his heart wormer, if we change diet? He's on Interceptor right now.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just found this thread, but I realized that Jack has been biting his front paws lately. He chews on his "thumbs" and gets the fur all wet, and the skin around the paw-pad on the "thumb" red and the nail looks like it's more "loose" because of all his silly chewing. It's probably not allergies because it's only his front feet, and if I wash his feet after I bring him in, he stops for a while, but then chews on those thumbs again. Could the thumbs themselves be irritating him? Like, because they hang off the side of his paws like that?

Hmm, this confuses me... anyway, just thought I would ask you all!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Aug 15 2005, 07:42 PM
This past week end Puddles started biting his foot.  Since our vet is open until 10 on Monday nights, hubby wanted him checked out before he chewed a sore spot (and I thought I was protective). The vet saw nothing wrong, no fleas or cut place from grooming. Said it may be allergies and gave him an injection. She advised that if this didn't help to change him food to a lower protein. It upset me so that he may have allergies, I forgot the name of food she wanted him on. It was some type of initials, not a long name.

Any one experience this with their babies?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90818
[/QUOTE]

Rex takes daily pills for his allergies. The less he goes outside the better and although it can be a pain for Rex wearing shoes outside helps. However if I try to leave his shoes on them he chews a hole in them.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Puddles has stopped chewing his feet since the allergy injection.

But also, the hair on his feet has grown out a some. The new groomer had shaved the hair off his feet and our vet didn't like that (since Puddles didn't chew his feet until after the grooming). The vet said Puddles may be allergic to grass and the hair on his feet was acting as a protector, to keep it the same length as his legs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, It's funny because my puppy chews his one foot all the time. His foot looks pinkish at times when it is all wet. He seems to be ok though. I think it is just a habit like people biting their nails. If it got to the point that he was loosing hair I would bring it to the attention of my vet. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts