Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Angus@May 2 2005, 01:18 PM
I have noticed Angus spending quite a lot of time licking and biting his paws (the two front ones). I'm just wondering if this is normal, or a sign of something that I should have looked at?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58954
[/QUOTE]
I've noticed that Lexi has started to bite her toenails! She has biten a couple into little points.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 2 2005, 01:51 PM
I've noticed that Lexi has started to bite her toenails!  She has biten a couple into little points.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58968
[/QUOTE]

How funny! Phoebe does that too every once in awhile. I can hear her crunching them!

I have also heard the chewing paws or skin can be a food allergy. What are you feeding Angus? Holli did this incessantly when we put her on a new food later in life. I didn't know about these boards or I would have attributed it to that and would have tried changing some things.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Though the paw biting is often related to allergies.. it can be yeast infection ( Missy had this a couple of times. .. what HASN"T! she had!

Missysmom

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi

I've heard two things about chewing on feet - one is that it could be an allergy, the other that it is boredom...

Abby did the same thing... I bought some bitter spray type stuff to put on her feet to discourage her from doing it. It seems to do the trick - if she starts again I put some on there.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 2 2005, 01:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Angus
@May 2 2005, 01:18 PM
I have noticed Angus spending quite a lot of time licking and biting his paws (the two front ones). I'm just wondering if this is normal, or a sign of something that I should have looked at?
I've noticed that Lexi has started to bite her toenails! She has biten a couple into little points.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Kodie does that too!! Not as much now that I cut out the cheerios... maybe the wheat caused an allergy for him?!
I thought it was also related to boredom.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie+May 3 2005, 07:34 AM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 2 2005, 01:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Angus
@May 2 2005, 01:18 PM

[/QUOTE]
Kodie does that too!! Not as much now that I cut out the cheerios... maybe the wheat caused an allergy for him?!
I thought it was also related to boredom.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59164
[/B][/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what is causing Lexi's. In the fall she was biting her feet (not her nails). So I think she had seasonal allergies. She goes to the vet for her annual checkup in mid-May so I will ask the vet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GiGi does this too. She's eating Royal Canine and other than this occassional thing, I haven't noticed any other signs that it might be food related. However, I am taking MalteseJane's advice that it might be that the hair on her paw is too long. I trim the hair around the pads of her feet, but it's not as close as the groomer would get it. I may take them all in just for that particular service since I'm not sure I could get that close without hurting them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies! I'm still not really sure what it is...he bites the top of his paws, not the underside with the pads. It's actually a combination of biting and licking the tops of his paws. Strange....

Maybe I should try to switch his food. I'm not that crazy over the food he's eating (Purina Puppy Chow...just didn't know what else to buy) and would love to hear recommendations if you think there's a better/more natural product out there.

I'm just not one for making him home-cooked meals (I'm lucky if I get a home-cooked meal, let alone hubbie or Angus :lol: ).

We have a check-up scheduled within the next month...if it doesn't subside with different food I'll be sure to have it looked into.

So...any food recommendations?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I would recommend trying Innova, Flint River, Wellness, Nature's Balance, or Chicken Soup.

I know Innova and Flint River have very little grain in them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 3 2005, 03:33 PM
I would recommend trying Innova, Flint River, Wellness, Nature's Balance, or Chicken Soup.

I know Innova and Flint River have very little grain in them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59323
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom@May 3 2005, 12:15 PM
GiGi does this too. She's eating Royal Canine and other than this occassional thing, I haven't noticed any other signs that it might be food related. However, I am taking MalteseJane's advice that it might be that the hair on her paw is too long. I trim the hair around the pads of her feet, but  it's not as close as the groomer would get it. I may take them all in just for that particular service since I'm not sure I could get that close without hurting them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59253
[/QUOTE]

Royal Canin used to be a superior quality food, but when they merged with Waltham and started to mass market here in the US (Petsmart), they changed the formula and added corn. Corn is a cheap source of carbohydrates and one of the top 3 allergy producing ingredients in dogs (along with wheat and soy products). Our local pet boutique that carries all the high quality premium grade foods stopped carrying Royal Canin for this reason.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
It just dawned on me.... if kodie is allergic to wheat... and he cant have high protein because of his MVD... umm... what else am i supposed to feed him?!?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@May 6 2005, 01:47 PM
It just dawned on me.... if kodie is allergic to wheat... and he cant have high protein because of his MVD... umm... what else am i supposed to feed him?!? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60489
[/QUOTE]

Avoderm Lite by Breeder's Choice is a great food for allergic dogs that is also low in protein (only 18%). You might want to ask your vet about it. The only downside I can think of is that the pieces might be too big for Kodie. Here's a link to their website. You can read about it and check the store locator for a store near you. Most stores will have samples for you to try.

http://www.breeders-choice.com/Dog_Product...rmdog_lite.html

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
ummm... i checked it out... there is more protein in that dog food than the L/D. My local vet doesnt have any idea of MVD... so i dont have anyone to ask.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
JMM (Jackie) may know a wheat free liver diet since her Mikey also has liver disease. I think Waltham also makes one, but I bet it's got wheat, too.

It's so difficult finding a food for an allergic dog if they have other medical issues that require a special diet. I went through that with diabetic Lady and the Hill's products. They have both wheat and corn and she had trouble with them after a few years. She needs a really high fiber food that is also low in protein for her kidneys and liver (because of the seizure drugs).

She needs a personal chef!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts