Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Biting

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Gizmosmom 
#1 ·
Tyler has been biting my fingers. Is it just because he wants to or is he teething? He's 10 months old, and I don't know if the age is to old for teething.

#2 ·
Originally posted by Cappy@Mar 1 2005, 09:57 PM
Tyler has been biting my fingers. Is it just because he wants to or is he teething? He's 10 months old, and I don't know if the age is to old for teething.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39129
[/QUOTE]

I would have thought he would have teethed by now, but I guess it is possible. (Abby is my first malt, and she started to teeth at about 4 months) He might be doing it for attention? Look at the situations when he does it? What are you guys doing when he starts to bite? Are you playing or are you doing something else like reading?

Abby had a terrible habit in her earlier months of biting fingers, feet, etc. I combatted it using two methods. The first was to get a water bottle and put it on jet spray and try to keep it with me. When she bit I would squirt her in the face and say "no biting". Be warned though, that some dogs actually like this!!
I was lucky enough that Abby hated it - it only took about 4 or so squirts with the water bottle and she stopped!! LOL

The second thing I did, when I didn't have the water bottle, was everytime she bit me I would yelp like a dog would if it had been hurt. Sure it sounds funny, and you feel a little foolish - but she would be so astonished at the noise that she would stop and just look at me! As soon as she stopped I would get something that she was allowed to chew on and put it in her mouth. She picked up the "no biting" rule pretty quickly with me doing that!

I think the most important thing with them isn't to punish them but to divert their attention. I call it the "divert-relocate-praise"
If they are doing something you don't want them to, divert their attention from what they are doing, relocate them to a situation where they can use that action (ie pottying on the pad, chewing on a nylabone or toy) and praise them for doing the proper action!

So if Tyler starts to bite, make a noise or squirt him with the water, put a toy or nylabone in his mouth and when he starts to chew on it praise him!

Hope that helps!

#3 ·
I would think that at 10 months Tyler has all his teeth. Yes it would help to know when he is biting. If it's when you play with him and it is play biting, you have to teach him how far he can go. Don't let him hurt you. You need to stop that right away before it becomes a habit. Alex knows that when I say "ouch" or "aie" he went to far (sometimes he forget's himself by playing). Then he comes and licks me where he hurt me (does not really hurt but I don't let him go farther then that). I even show him where he did it.

#4 ·
yeah, it wasnt until the dogs were around a year old---thats when everything changed---they started to listen!

my advice is to just say "no bite" and stuff a toy in his mouth. he'll learn after a while that when he feels the "urge" to bite...he'll go for a toy.

also, make sure that you're exercising tyler A LOT. lots of walk and lots of play. Sunshine is right---he could be doing it for attention. and remember: a tired dog is a happy dog.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Sunshine+Mar 1 2005, 08:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Cappy
@Mar 1 2005, 09:57 PM
I would have thought he would have teethed by now, but I guess it is possible. (Abby is my first malt, and she started to teeth at about 4 months) He might be doing it for attention? Look at the situations when he does it? What are you guys doing when he starts to bite? Are you playing or are you doing something else like reading?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39146
[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, when I'm sleeping! It get really annoying. When I pull my hand back and say "no", he stops for a while and does it again!

#6 ·
Originally posted by Cappy+Mar 1 2005, 11:42 PM-->
Originally posted by Sunshine@Mar 1 2005, 08:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Cappy
@Mar 1 2005, 09:57 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39146

[/QUOTE]

Actually, when I'm sleeping! It get really annoying. When I pull my hand back and say "no", he stops for a while and does it again!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39154
[/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds like a classic case of attention seeking to me!
You're sleeping and he wants you to pet him and play!

Some of the others may have some other ideas on how you can approach this (I haven't been in the exact situation before, so I'm taking a guess here!
), but I am guessing that he is in bed with you? You can still try some of the things I said above. The other thing I did if I was in a similar sort of situation to you was hold Abby's mouth closed (not hard of course! ... I forgot to mention this above) for about 5 seconds or so and look her in the face and say "no biting" in a stern voice. If that doesn't work, I would look at maybe putting him in his crate each time he does it. He'll be just like any other malt and LOVE to be on the bed with you - so if you make it clear to him that biting you will result in NOT being allowed on the bed with you, then he might start to get the picture!

Another approach > if he is doing this then he's not tired, he wants to play .... maybe you could put him in his play pen with some toys, a kong or something... he might just be bored! I know that Abby gets that way sometimes. She'll settle for a while, but after that, she wants to play... I just put her in the play pen with all of her toys and she's happy with that
... but Abby just becomes restless and moves around a lot - or pokes her nose in my face
- so just be careful he doesn't begin to associate biting with being let down to play. Watch for other signs if you can - ie lots of moving etc. Use them as your cues to let him down
And watch that he isn't trying to tell you something else (ie he might need to go potty!)

One last idea... is it hard biting or could you ignore it? If you ignored it - don't even open your eyes and look at him - as annoying as it is, he would soon see that it gets him no reaction... he might just give up! LOL

If it isn't hard biting I'd do the last suggestion first (ignoring the wrong behaviours seems to work best with Abby), always keep an eye out for other signs he is restless and let him in his play pen if that's the case... but if he's hurting when biting, I'd try some of the previous tactics I mentioned... (first in this post and also in the previous posts).

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

#7 ·
The other thing I did if I was in a similar sort of situation to you was hold Abby's mouth closed (not hard of course! ... I forgot to mention this above) for about 5 seconds or so and look her in the face and say "no biting" in a stern voice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39355
[/B][/QUOTE]
I do that, but his snout is small and he gets away easily. And when I try to catch him he goes under the covers and moves around alot. It's kinda funny actually. :lol:

#8 ·
Originally posted by Cappy@Mar 2 2005, 06:08 PM
The other thing I did if I was in a similar sort of situation to you was hold Abby's mouth closed (not hard of course! ... I forgot to mention this above) for about 5 seconds or so and look her in the face and say "no biting" in a stern voice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39355
[/QUOTE]
I do that, but his snout is small and he gets away easily. And when I try to catch him he goes under the covers and moves around alot. It's kinda funny actually. :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39364
[/B][/QUOTE]

HA HA Little stinker!!!
Obviously a game to him then!!
Maybe some of the other suggestions...???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.