Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Bitter Apple Spray

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  chloeandj 
#1 ·
Hi guys! Tic has been with us for 2 weeks now and he's a joy to have! It's been a little transition because we were all used to Peanut, who has become such a gentleman over the past few months! Peanut is sooo good that sometimes I forget we have a dog
Tic is a normal pup who loves getting into things he's not supposed to. The thing is that we have taught Tic so much over these past 2 weeks, but he's in love with chewing the corners of our kitchen cabinets. I got some bitter apple spray to help me out, but the little turkey actually likes the way it tastes!!! I smelled the bitter apple and all I can smell is alcohol....Does anyone have any other suggestions of products or maybe some hints to get him away from the cabinets? The first week we had him, he was chewing everything including Peanut, and we have it under control now, there's just something he likes about the cabinets....

See less See more
#2 ·
My little Yorkie has become a fan of chewing our cabinet corners too and so far the only thing that's stopped her is Nature's Miracle Best Behavior Pet Training Aid. Be super careful with it though, it's really really strong... one whiff and it will have you coughing and hacking like crazy. I made the mistake of spraying a ton of it on the carpet back when Tuffy was chewing on it and both of us were sneezing and coughing for days before the stuff wore off. It only takes one spray to do the trick.

#5 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 4 2005, 06:39 PM
Hi guys!  Tic has been with us for 2 weeks now and he's a joy to have!  It's been a little transition because we were all used to Peanut, who has become such a gentleman over the past few months!  Peanut is sooo good that sometimes I forget we have a dog
  Tic is a normal pup who loves getting into things he's not supposed to.  The thing is that we have taught Tic so much over these past 2 weeks, but he's in love with chewing the corners of our kitchen cabinets.  I got some bitter apple spray to help me out, but the little turkey actually likes the way it tastes!!!  I smelled the bitter apple and all I can smell is alcohol....Does anyone have any other suggestions of products or maybe some hints to get him away from the cabinets?  The first week we had him, he was chewing everything including Peanut, and we have it under control now, there's just something he likes about the cabinets....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59877
[/QUOTE]

Maybe u can give him a lot of chew toys? Puppies love to chew things.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Lani@May 5 2005, 12:31 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59932
[/QUOTE]
Between the 2 boys, the house is filled with toys! We managed to potty train him already and teach him 'no' and a couple of other things. When he chews on something all I have to do is say no and he'll stop. There's just something so interesting about the kitchen cabinets that draws him to them

#10 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut+May 5 2005, 10:11 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lani
@May 5 2005, 12:31 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59932
Between the 2 boys, the house is filled with toys! We managed to potty train him already and teach him 'no' and a couple of other things. When he chews on something all I have to do is say no and he'll stop. There's just something so interesting about the kitchen cabinets that draws him to them

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60120
[/B][/QUOTE]

I used a Bitter End spray and it really worked with Miko - he hates how it tastes!!

#11 ·
Originally posted by JMM@May 4 2005, 11:05 PM
There is a product called Fooey that might help. It is similar to bitter apple but a different nasty taste.

Tobasco sauce is also an option.

A little vinegar diluted in water sprayed on deters some dogs. It has always been strong enough to deter mine from sniffing some place.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59907
[/QUOTE]
My bf just called me and the Tabasco sauce worked!!!! He was saying that he refused to put it on his new cabinets but I guess Tic really did some damage today
He said Tic was taking a taz fit and running laps in the kitchen after tasting the tabasco and he has not gone near the cabinets since!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

#12 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut+May 5 2005, 12:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@May 4 2005, 11:05 PM
There is a product called Fooey that might help. It is similar to bitter apple but a different nasty taste.

Tobasco sauce is also an option.

A little vinegar diluted in water sprayed on deters some dogs. It has always been strong enough to deter mine from sniffing some place.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59907
My bf just called me and the Tabasco sauce worked!!!! He was saying that he refused to put it on his new cabinets but I guess Tic really did some damage today
He said Tic was taking a taz fit and running laps in the kitchen after tasting the tabasco and he has not gone near the cabinets since!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60124
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hooray for the tabasco! It's funny cause Tuffy LOVES tabasco sauce.. I mean, LOVES IT! I used some on my fingers when he was biting too much and he just licked the tabasco off every one of my fingers and kept wanting more! He's a nut!

#13 ·
Originally posted by Mystify79@May 5 2005, 01:55 PM
Hooray for the tabasco!  It's funny cause Tuffy LOVES tabasco sauce.. I mean, LOVES IT!  I used some on my fingers when he was biting too much and he just licked the tabasco off every one of my fingers and kept wanting more!  He's a nut! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60139
[/QUOTE]
lol!!! I can't even eat tabasco sauce!!!

#14 ·
I had a black lab that chewed everything...even tried to eat my rocking chair. I used plain old white vinegar...he hated the smell and taste. Lacey has been really good about not chewing...knock on wood, but when she does have something I don't want her to have I tell her "leave it." She drops what she has and that is the end of it...but it did take lots of time.

#15 ·
Originally posted by Laceys mom@May 7 2005, 12:53 AM
I had a black lab that chewed everything...even tried to eat my rocking chair.  I used plain old white vinegar...he hated the smell and taste.  Lacey has been really good about not chewing...knock on wood, but when she does have something I don't want her to have I tell her "leave it."  She drops what she has and that is the end of it...but it did take lots of time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60656
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the suggestions!! The thing with Tic is that we managed to teach him 'leave it', but the only thing it doesn't work with is the cabinets
We don't keep food in those cabiets so it's not like he smells something good in there...unless he's interested in baking sheets
Our bathrooms have white caninets, so if the chewing spreads to those cabinets too, I'll keep the vinegar in mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.