Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie just had a bath today and I noticed shes starting to get some black areas near her ears and on the bridge of her nose!
I was just very surprised because she is just a couple months over a year old!

When should they normally start appearing? and when have YOUR pooches started getting these dark spots?

*btw if some of you don't know what I am talking about.. I am talking about these brown/dark/black areas on maltese's skin.. their skin is normally PINK but in these areas they are dark/even maybe spotted looking!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Little C is a year old. I think I first noticed spots appearing on her about six months ago. Hers are all light. N has some that look like dark bruises. When his hair is very short or wet, he looks like he has been abused.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Apr 2 2005, 11:27 PM
Little C is a year old.  I think I first noticed spots appearing on her about six months ago.  Hers are all light.  N has some that look like dark bruises.  When his hair is very short or wet, he looks like he has been abused.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48458
[/QUOTE]

abused?! :new_Eyecrazy: awww.. im sure you haven't been abusing him!
but thats sad. when I first saw these dark areas I was kind of.. dissapointed? maybe?.. too bad maltese can't have nice baby pink skin forever

well.. i guess if her spots appeared 6 months ago then i guess charlie is normal..
thanks for ur input!

·
Registered
522 Posts
You're kidding me!! Are you saying Izzy won't stay this pink skinned forever? I didn't know anything about skin discoloration and I thought I had read everything. I'm so glad I heard this before they showed up or I would have flipped out. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Apr 2 2005, 09:13 PM
You're kidding me!!  Are you saying Izzy won't stay this pink skinned forever?  I didn't know anything about skin discoloration and I thought I had read everything.  I'm so glad I heard this before they showed up or I would have flipped out.  Thanks for posting this.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48468
[/QUOTE]
WOW, i didnt know this!!! im glad i found out too.

And the pink skin is soooooo nice and beautiful!!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny's are really dark around his face and light almost everywhere else, you can see one spots on this nose even with his hair long lol i dont mind them i figured they were a good thing, i was worried the pink skin would sunburn really easily (my last dog was black with white and pink skin he got the worst sunburns i felt so bad)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I haven't noticed anything on Lucy.. dunno if that's a good thing. She does have good pigmentation tho, so I have a feeling she'll be getting some

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Massimo got them around 5 months, he'll be 15 months and they are gone. I did some research a while back and it said the "cow spots" are normal for the breed.

-c

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Neither my first Maltese Rosebud, nor Kallie and Catcher had/have them. But Catcher is still young, so he may get them eventually. A friend's Maltese had tons of them at about 9 months. I guess it varies . . .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Apr 3 2005, 07:46 AM
Caesar makes me think of a little cow when he is wet, with his spots showing!
  I have heard that it is a sign of good pigmentation, not sure how correct that is or isn'tm but it is nothing to worry about. :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48506
[/QUOTE]

Well our malt does not have perfect dark pigmentation.. he has a black nail and a pink paw.. which i think is adorable.. so i do not think the spots are a sign of good pigmentation.. but maybe you ARE right to some extent

Originally posted by 20202@Apr 3 2005, 12:54 PM
Does it show through their fur or only when they are wet?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48559
[/QUOTE]

well you can see it if their hair is parted at a spot.. but it doesnt "shine" through the fur :lol: wherever his regualr pink skin is showing his dark skin would also show
of course it is EASIER to see since it is darker so the skin will be more noticeable than pink skin

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Last fall Alex was full of them and they were darker then usual. He looked like a Dalmatien when wet. You cannot see them when dry. And he never had any on his belly, only his back, top of the nose and top of ears. Now he has less and they are lighter. I think it has something to do with how much sun they get. Not sure tho. Vet said it's skin pigmentation.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Apr 3 2005, 04:44 AM
For those of you worried about your baby's skin changing, all I can offer is my experience with Toby.  He is 16 months old, and never had these "spots."  I am assuming that if they never had them then they don't develop them--does this sound right? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48483
[/QUOTE]

My last maltese, Holli did not get these until about 7-8 years of age. I figured them to be age spots of a sort. I remember thinking when I found them during a bath oh wow my baby is getting up there

She did not have very many, nor were they very dark, except one or two small ones. You couldnt see them through the hair except on the part line but they were stillv hardly noticeable.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't remember when they first appeared, but he has them for a very long time. I don't think it has something to do with age.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Yep, "like a Dalmation when wet"! That's Frosty, 'course he's 13 yr. old, too. Even as a baby he had dark spots on the top of his muzzle in the part. He has really nice black pigment were it's supposed to be, but the older he gets the more Dalmation like spots he has on the skin. It only shows when wet, except under his eyes where the hair is thin and if I part his back. The sun has a lot to do with how many he has. They used to go away in the winter and come back as he got more sun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts