Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,863 Posts
yeah, there are vets that specialize in dentistry. there's only a few near us. one in ventura(i think) and one in beverly hills(dr. Shipp). it costs the same as if you were to have a cavity.
tell me how it goes. ask your vet, he might've heard of dr. shipp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Nov 18 2004, 04:15 PM
yeah, there are vets that specialize in dentistry.  there's only a few near us.  one in ventura(i think) and one in beverly hills(dr. Shipp).  it costs the same as if you were to have a cavity. 
  tell me how it goes.  ask your vet, he might've heard of dr. shipp. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17065
[/QUOTE]


My place where i go has dentistry i called them to ask lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
can you take a pic of it..sometimes food particles get stuck..try brushing it or give her something crunchy...if id doesnt hurt her i wonder if thats all it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom@Nov 18 2004, 01:39 PM
i think they do have dentists for dogs
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17036
[/QUOTE]
I wanted to take Kodie to one of those... but she wouldnt touch him because hes too tiny and his liver condition.. she was too afraid to be the only person in the room if something were to happen while hes under with gas.

Kodie has the same type of black on his upper back teeth. I just had him neutered and 7 baby teeth pulled out! Sooo.. i asked about it and they told me that its plack(did i spell that wrong???! :eek: ) They also told me that his teeth are not bad enough to get a full cleaning done on him. I dont understand because I brush his teeth every morning!!!! Plus he has things to chew on during the day. No one said anything about a cavity.
Let me know what to vet says if you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Nov 18 2004, 11:24 PM
A hundred bucks to pull dog baby teeth?!  Wow I'm glad I'm here.  My vet told me it would be 30,000 won (around $30) and that was before he even knew how many teeth needed to be pulled.  How much do you pay for cleanings over there?  It's 40,000--50,000 won here.  (around $40-$50)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17121
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it evens out because I only pay $10.00 for a cleaning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Wow, I am amazed at some of the prices you guys pay! It costs me close to $200 to get Lady's teeth cleaned (includes the pre-op blood panel) and she doesn't even get an IV anesthetic. (My vet just masks her down since she gets seizure drugs that can damage the liver and the iv anesthesia passes through the liver). And this is with no problems, no extractions, etc, just a simple cleaning.

I have heard that Maltese are prone to plaque and gingivitis and need to have their teeth cleaned frequently. Lady has really nice teeth, but we do get them cleaned about every other year. Some dogs need it done yearly, even young dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,863 Posts
yeah, to put our dogs under anethesia and clean teeth--it's almost $200. and to pull a baby tooth out at the same time, is around $15-$20 for each tooth while they're asleep.


sprite doesnt have good teeth either. one turned dark(it died) and another is chipped.
its the two front teeth too. ellie has super strong teeth. she's constantly chewing on a bully stick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
oh man... i'm really worried now... do you really think a dark spot is a cavity! Some stupid vets! I ASKED TOO! How long can i wait to have a dentist look at it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 19 2004, 09:00 AM
oh man... i'm really worried now... do you really think a dark spot is a cavity!  Some stupid vets!  I ASKED TOO!  How long can i wait to have a dentist look at it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17176
[/QUOTE]

I noticed that Lexi is starting to get some plack (sp?) on her back upper teeth. I ask a vet tec about it and they said that the salivary gland is right above that area. That is why dogs get plack there first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
What do we do about it though???????? I found this web site! TEETH INFO Take a look at the last picture and description ...Calculus (Tartar).. that looks like what kodie has on his tooth before his moler on the top of his mouth. Soooo maybe the Vet was right.. it isnt a cavity?! The Vet also told me that Kodie is too young to have a full cleaning... they do them around 2yrs of age. Do you think this Vet knows what they are talking about or is it a cavity? I thought this Vet knew what they were talking about too... because it was a Vet from Garden State Vet Specialist, the 24hr hospital... they have good doctors there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 19 2004, 09:21 AM
What do we do about it though????????  I found this web site! TEETH INFO Take a look at the last picture and description ...Calculus (Tartar).. that looks like what kodie has on his tooth before his moler on the top of his mouth.  Soooo maybe the Vet was right.. it isnt a cavity?!  The Vet also told me that Kodie is too young to have a full cleaning... they do them around 2yrs of age.  Do you think this Vet knows what they are talking about or is it a cavity?  I thought this Vet knew what they were talking about too... because it was a Vet from Garden State Vet Specialist, the 24hr hospital... they have good doctors there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17178
[/QUOTE]

Lexi's back teeth look like the 2nd last picture (plaque). The vet tech told me that the greenies & brushing should take care of it.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top