Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Black Widow Spider

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  saltymalty 
Originally posted by tlunn@Sep 29 2004, 12:40 PM
If it makes you feel any better..I don't think daddy long legs are really spiders...heard that somewhere...BUT-they are supposedly the most poisonous insect bite there is...BUT...they cannot bite you b/c their mouths are so teeny tiny.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10287
[/QUOTE]

I heard that on Myth Busters. I can't remember if it was true or not.

Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 29 2004, 12:08 PM
Okay all this talk give me the willies.  You know though, everyone always complains about the north and who would want to live in the north 'cause it is too freakin' cold and blah, blah, blah...  Well, let me say this as a positive to the north.  We have none of that stuff! 
  We have gardner snakes, which aren't poisonious (of course they still scare the sh*t out of me!), we have brown recluses and black widows, but it is RARE to see one (no one in my family or no one I know has ever seen one).  The only kind of spiders we have are those "invisible" spiders.  I don't know what to call them--common household spider?  The ones that are so small and thin they are almost invisible.  We have nothing poisonious that lives in this area--thank goodness!  We do have terrible mosquitos, but we have bat houses all over our yard to help control the population.  They do a pretty good job. 

Cathy, I know Wet Nile is a scary thing, BUT (and here is the good part) most people bitten by a mosquito that has it will never even know it.  I think the percentage of becoming sick is SO LOW!  I think it is less then 3%.  I think the only way you get sick is if you are a child, elderly or have a weakened immune system.  And even then your chance is still pretty low.

The only thing we worry about is tornados in the spring time and even then they don't usually hit where I live.  We also have a bad ant population, but my dad buys this stuff from Sam's and we sprinkle it around the outside of the house.  It works miracles.  We were having Orkin come out every other month and the prices were sky high.  So my dad was like, "Let's give this stuff a try."  WOW!  It really kills off the ants and it helps with the spiders too.  Now we only sprinkle this stuff once or twice a year.  We just have to be careful not to let the dogs step in it for the first week or so.

I always tell my mom that I am never moving 'cause I couldn't handle the "outside" world of any other place.  :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10277
[/QUOTE]

Isn't the midwest great! I hate spiders but if I'm the only one around I can eventually get up the courage to kill them. Luckily we only have small harmless ones around. Otherwise I'd be screwed! I'd have to go knocking on my neighbors' doors to find someone to kill it. The only wild snake I've ever seen is a gardner snake, but that was once when we were out in the woods. As for tornados, I've never been in one. There have been some with in 50 miles of me but I think I've only had to go in the basement maybe 5 times in my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.