Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Black Widow Spider

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  saltymalty 
That is scary! Spiders gross me out!
My sister lives in OK and the house they moved into has brown recluse really bad. They have had exterminators come to control them...but they are still there. They have two tiny chihuahuas and a 2 year old and a new baby yesterday.
They have learned to live with them...look for them etc. I would have to move/burn the house down. YUCK!

At least you or the dogs weren't bitten.
Good luck! Keep your eyes open!

Originally posted by Mystify79@Sep 29 2004, 07:38 AM
Spiders freak me out too.. They seem to be really common in Texas, around Lubbock we have LOTS of problems with the Brown Recluse.  Luckily (if you can call it lucky), the only spiders we've seen around here are wolf spiders, which are super scary looking but not poisonous.  Yuck, just talking about spiders gives me the heebie jeebies.  :wacko:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10219
[/QUOTE]

Yuck! We had those wolf spiders in OK too when I lived at home.
We were in a neighborhood...but in the boonies...so they would frequently show up on our porch or in our garage. They look like tarantulas...blech!!!!! I have the willies now!!!!

We have some spiders that live in our shed. I am not sure what kind they are b/c I do not get that close! There are LOTS of them...and all the same kind...they are everywhere! Hubby knows that I do NOT enter the shed....not sure where they are and where they are going to come out of. My grandmother says the way I describe them, that they sound like brown recluse b/c they leave their skelatons around and don't really make all that much web. I don't take any chances.

In the house, we have the pest people come quarterly for a very minimal fee. It helps take care of ants, spiders and any other "pests" that may decide to visit. They also take care of fleas for free if we have problems in between our quarterly sprays. I like it b/c they spray inside and along the outside of the house...gives me some peace of mind anyway.

Black widows usually live outside don't they? Like glamourdog found them...on porches and stuff? I have never seen one in person.

Originally posted by mylittlebella@Sep 29 2004, 09:53 AM
A BLACK WIDOW...I would have freaked out.  How scary!!!  I'm so glad you and the girls are ok.  I got bitten by a spider in San Fransisco about 2 years ago.  They don't know what kind of spider it was but it started out like a little pimple and then I had an infection in my entire leg (I was bitten in the knee).  It was disgusting.  I had to miss work due to the infection.  I can't imagine if it would have been a poisonous one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10238
[/QUOTE]

that sounds sorda like a brown recluse bite.

Originally posted by Mystify79@Sep 29 2004, 11:19 AM
:eek:  Talking about spiders jinxed me because I just killed a daddy long legs in the bedroom.. YUCK!  I'm highly allergic to insect and spider bites and every time I've had one it became a huge horrible infection and all yucky, I've almost always had to go to the doctor to get some kind of shot to make the swelling go down.  Now I'm all freaked out about spiders  :wacko:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10253
[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better..I don't think daddy long legs are really spiders...heard that somewhere...BUT-they are supposedly the most poisonous insect bite there is...BUT...they cannot bite you b/c their mouths are so teeny tiny.

Originally posted by Triste@Sep 29 2004, 07:04 PM
They ARE here in Indiana b/c my son's scout troupe went to Camp Maumee and one of the boys had one in their cot! I hate spiders as well....oh oh I forgot to mention One of the scout boys told me that daddy long legs are NOT true spiders b/c TWO of their legs aren't really "legs" they are feelers for food...*shrug shoulders*...interesting eh?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10360
[/QUOTE]

That it what I thought I had heard...but Mystify's information dis-proved that...LOL...

Anyway...they all gros me out and give me the heebie jeebies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

The daddy long legs that we have around here...are the Opiolones type from the pictures...I say smush them anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.