Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just got our 8 week old Maltese last week. I would Love some feedback

Yesterday he peed about 13 times in 11 hours, all inside, none outside, even tho we are bringing him out to pee all the time. Sometimes we bring him out, he doesn’t pee and comes in and immediately pees. Last night, during sleep, he only went pee once and that was outside.

Prior to yesterday, he was doing fairly good about peeing outside, not perfect but did a combo of outside peeing and inside accidents.

Does this sound like a medical or behavioral issue?

so now, we are locking him in his pen and he keeps crying to be let out.

Any advice would be great.

thanks!

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,113 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM. At 8 weeks old, your puppy is just a baby so I wouldn't think this is behavioral. He has a very small bladder and will pee quite frequently. Small dogs are recommended to stay with their Mom's until 12 weeks of age so you can't expect too much from him yet. I would take him outside every 1/2 and when he pees use lots and lots of praise and a very tiny treat. If he pees on the floor don't scold, just ignore it. Always watch him closely for signs he is going to pee, like sniffing around the floor. If you can't watch all the time, then crate him. Always take him out right after eating and as soon as he wakes up. Try not to give him the opportunity to pee on the floor. These little guys live to please so praise, praise and more praise and he will catch on. Just don't expect too much at this young age. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

We just got our 8 week old Maltese last week. I would Love some feedback

Yesterday he peed about 13 times in 11 hours, all inside, none outside, even tho we are bringing him out to pee all the time. Sometimes we bring him out, he doesn’t pee and comes in and immediately pees. Last night, during sleep, he only went pee once and that was outside.

Prior to yesterday, he was doing fairly good about peeing outside, not perfect but did a combo of outside peeing and inside accidents.

Does this sound like a medical or behavioral issue?

so now, we are locking him in his pen and he keeps crying to be let out.

Any advice would be great.

thanks!
i have 3 Maltese babies... the youngest is 16 weeks old now... she did the same thing when she was 8 weeks, i was worried she was going to much but it's getting better with the weeks, she goes maybe 7 times a day now... i have another one 10 months old, he's pretty good at going several hours without peeing. Same with my 2 year old. Just give it time and a lot of attention. Some days are better than others, don't get discouraged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts