Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Sunday our church is having the traditional "Blessing of the Animals" in honor of St. Francis.. the patron saint of animals.
We took Missy for many many years and this year we will be taking our little Nadia.
It is usually a very lovely service and it is so sweet to see all the animals from turtles to tiny lizards , from goats to goldfish! inaddition to the regular kittys and dogs.
I love seeing the little children carrying their little bowls with their goldfish and turtles.. they are so proud!!
There is usually a general prayer and some background on St. Francis and then each pet is brought up one by one to be individually blessed, and a little medal of St. Francis is usually given to each pet.
if any of you have this special service for the animals.. I really suggest you take your baby.. it really is a very special event. I know here, though it is a Catholic service many of other faiths do bring thier pets as they also do at the other nearby church that has a similar service.
I know there are other denominations that also hold this annually though not always at this time of year.
Will let you know how Naddie does with all the animals. ( Missy was often NOT on her best behavior! LOL)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
We have the Blessing of the Animals service in the Episcopal church too. My priest liked to pick at me about bringing my bull for the service. For years, we had a show bull who was also a pet (all 2000+pounds). The kids would sit on him, and the winner was the one who could get him to move the quickest with them on top. I've seen him stay perfectly still with four kids on his back for up to 20 minutes. Funny that I've just never taken one of my dogs. I'm glad you reminded me it's that time of year again. My crew might get to make the trip, if I'm back in town by then.
I know it will be a special service for you this year with your new little one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Oh, I need to take my little ones this year. Especially my little Lily, and remember how much she has blessed us since she came into our lives. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Our church does this too...only ours is on the feast day, Oct. 4. Did you know that St. Francis is also the patron saint of the enviroment?

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
My religion doesn't believe in this, however, I wonder if I could go to a Catholic church as a guest for this service.
<~~~thought that smilie was appropiate

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have never heard it either....
I just know that my particular congregation would never allow the animals in our new church building...sometimes I wonder if they like the children being there.
J/K....they are not that bad, but we did build a new church a few years back and some are pretty uptight about stuff....the animals would never fly.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We went for our blessing yesterday...along with our neighbor's dog. His family are not Catholics, but at our church, anyone can receive a blessing and all are welcome. There were two other malts there...neither which really looked like ours. One looked like a Havanese, the other like a Bichon. They were cute, but just not as cute (ok I'm a bit partial). And of course, Valletta was the center of everyone's attention wearing one of Marj's beautiful bows! OK, well maybe she was just the center of our attention....but it was a lovely service.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know most services are held outside. Tomorrow is to be the day but the weather sounds terrible so I don't know if they'll hold it inside the church hall or if they'll postpone till next week.
I've attended both inside and outside services and all are welcomed. I know locally, many churches held this special service last week-end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts