Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved to a new country last Thursday and per law Bisou is in quarantine for 30 days.

Today was her 3rd day..and luckily I can visit her 6 days a week (not allowed on Sundays) so I've been there every day to see her, take her out in the yard/dog run, sing to her, massage her and just love her for the time I'm allowed to see her each day. I thought she was doing okay considering the stress of such a move for her, a new place - the 5 hour flight (she went as excess baggage -not allowed in-cabin with me).

But today I went to see her and she had fresh, red bloody diarrhea- she had just done it so I went and alerted the officials and came back and cleaned it up..then took her to the grooming room to clean her up. They said that they had noticed the diarrhea earlier but no blood then..and it was common for dogs to get this due to stress of international moves and quarantine.

In all fairness, I have to say, their facility is extremely nice..very very clean, nice staff..big private rooms for the dogs and large private dog runs in the grass.

I brought her own food with us, so that hasn't changed. Also she has plenty of water (2 bowls) and I've seen her drinking while I'm there.

After I washed and cleaned her, we went outside in the fenced area to lay in the sun and she ran around, explored and was very happy and smiling there. We stayed there for about an hour and then I came back and groomed her, massaged her..and just held her in her room (it's actually very big). Then it was time to leave...

But of course I'm worrying here like crazy. And tomorrow it's closed to visitors but I'll call in the morning to check on her. They said if she still had it then they would call the Vet but not to worry so much as it's not so unusual.

Sorry to ramble, but if whomever could say a little prayer for her, we would be so appreciative of that. I know prayers do work and she's my girl. I would be beyond devastated if it turned worse for her but I'm trying to keep positive and think she'll be okay and it's due to stress.

The only other thing, which may be very minor, that I could think of - was yesterday I gave her one of those Stella & Chewy treats..and maybe it scratched her insides? But she's had them before and never had a reaction. I threw them away today just to be sure.

xoxoxo

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
So sorry to hear about your baby---I know that is difficult for you! I have had to do that once myself (just much longer & not as nice as what you describe). Glad she is in a good place!
It might be the stress plus the treats so you should see some improvement by Mon. probably---if it was the treat. At least you know she is drinking and that is very important. A change in water might also play into the equation along w/stress.
I will send up a prayer for her and please keep us on the alert to her needs! Sending comfort & love to both of you.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Oh, Andrea. You poor girl. I don't know anything about quarantine. Perhaps they have a Vet on the premises? Thank goodness Bisou is drinking. She must stay hydrated. Praying it was a one time thing due to the stress of it all.
xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Andrea, it sounds like the staff is very good and willing to keep a watchful eye on Bisou. They undoubtedly do see this from time to time as stress can be a major factor in causing GI upset. Keep in touch with them through Sunday ... I assume they will let you know if they feel a vet visit is in order? When you visit Bisou on Monday can you bring some yogurt with you to feed her? And if you were to bring jugs of bottled water will they fill Bisou's water bowl with that rather than tap water?

Many prayers are being said for all of you. Thirty days may seem like an eternity but it will pass quickly. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh Andrea, I am sorry little Bisou has to be in such a long quaranteen. :mellow:That has to be stressful on you both. But at least she is drinking and eating. It sounds like you put her in a good place. I'm hoping the diarrhea subsides quickly. I think it could be the change of water too and the stress.

Give little Bisou some kisses from me and Rocky:wub:...I hope the next month goes very quickly for you both.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Heavenly Father, you delight in our coming to you with all our requests, Lord I lift little Bisou into your arms, Lord she needs your tender touch, she doesn't understand why she can't be with mommy, hold her close Lord I ask this bleeding to stop in the name of Jesus, give Andrea your peace that passes all understanding, comfort her. I pray these next few weeks will go by quickly. In Jesus name I pary. Amen

I will keep praying for both of you, it's such a stressful time. I love you

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that little Bisou isn't feeling well, Andrea. I hope she will adjust quickly to the new environment and be better soon! Quarantine sounds scary...but it's good that you can visit her and she's in a nice facility. I hope her condition gets better soon, and that the month will pass quickly. Take care :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Heavenly Father, you delight in our coming to you with all our requests, Lord I lift little Bisou into your arms, Lord she needs your tender touch, she doesn't understand why she can't be with mommy, hold her close Lord I ask this bleeding to stop in the name of Jesus, give Andrea your peace that passes all understanding, comfort her. I pray these next few weeks will go by quickly. In Jesus name I pary. Amen

I will keep praying for both of you, it's such a stressful time. I love you
Such a beautiful prayer and I second that.......Bisou is a precious little malt and all our prayers will get her through!

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I can only imagine how scared you must be. I have heard of stress causing this.

Will certainly says some prayers. :prayer:

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
Saying prayers for you, I'm sure this is so hard for you to go thru. I does sound like a nice place so at least that's a positive.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Dear Andrea, I was just thinking about you and Bisou, seriously! I have been wondering how you are doing. Now I see why you haven't posted in awhile. Moving anywhere can be stressful, but moving from one foreign country to another is doubly stressful. I do hope Bisou will be okay. She's so sweet and I'm glad you can see her as I'm sure that helps. Is she drinking bottled water? If not, you might want to keep her on it until you get her home, if they will give it to her for you. I am praying as I know how worried you must be...:grouphug: it is good to here from you, even if things are not so good right now.:wub:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Andrea, I'm so sorry Bisou is having a bit of a tough time adjusting. Maybe some soft food for a few days and definitely bottled water. I know you're worried sick about her. Hugs to you.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for the prayers and advice!! I truly appreciate every single one!

Paula, I started crying so hard when I read your prayer, it was just so beautiful. Thank you so much.

It's 10am here Sunday, and the quarantine just called me to let me know they are monitoring her carefully and she had a firmer stool today with only one small drop of blood at the end of the stool (sorry-TMI I know). They said it is an improvement over yesterday.

I asked if they could please give her the bottled water that I brought in for her..and they said yes they would. They said that tap water here does have chlorine and that may have not helped her. She's not used to that at all.

I'll go in tomorrow and bring her some yogurt (I can bring in food to her) and some more bottled water. I'll keep everyone posted! I know once she's out, she'll love it here and it will be such a better place for her to live- lots of sunshine and parks/dog beaches.

Thank you again!!! xoxoxo

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I hope and pray your little Bisou is better today. It must be so hard leaving her there. Pretty soon she will be back in your arms at home. it sounds like your new place will be so much nicer for her :chili:. Paula's prayer was soooooo precious.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
Great news to start my Sun. morning!
Kisses to little Bisou from Kitzel & me!
Prayers continue.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Andrea - i'm so sorry that you and Bisou are going through this.:smcry: It will have to be the longest month you've ever been through but will pass before you know it. I do think it's probably the stress and am happy about the call you got today saying she's doing better. I'm happy that they are responsive...how could they help themselves when they look at your little beauty. I think the other water and some probiotic yogurt will be a good idea. Please keep us posted. You always hear about quarantines of pets but never think of it first hand, day to day. Too bad you can't spring Bisou and leave a little stuffed white dog toy in her place. :wub::wub: Sending prayers and happy your new home seems dog friendly. :smootch: I miss you being around here too.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Oh dear, I hope Bisou gets better soon. Sounds like they are looking out for her and that they are trying to make this situation as comfortable for her as possible. Its nice that you get to visit with her - I hope that if I ever move to Hawaii (dream) they will allow that for me and Aolani too. Poor Bisou, I hope that it is just a common thing due to the change and that she adjusts soon. Paula's prayer was very beautiful and hit on all the right points. We will also be praying for her and for you and that you can reunite for good soon ♥

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Andrea, do you have any AE Probiotics and AE Phytomucil? I would put her on both of those if you have them. I believe the liquid would be what you would want her on right now, along with soft food. If the liquid doesn't have much affect, try the powder formula. The liquid tincture is more for the upper GI tract and the powder for the lower. But the liquid is a bit more fast acting and what I would reach for first. The powder does firm the stools and has actually done wonders for my Zoe's anal glands, but I would be afraid that may be too much for her right at first and we want things to really soothe her digestive system.

Hugs and prayers coming your way. :grouphug:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts