Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hii i am new here, but havent had a chance to introduce myself.. i am maureen and i have 2 maltese!! buster is 4 and snax is 1.. i have a lot to say about them, but for now i have an important question.. is it harmful to blowdry them after giving them a bath?? my friend just informed me that this can cause brain damage in small animals.. now buster is not very small.. actually i think hes the largest maltese ever hes like 22 lbs!! but anyway snax is smaller so now im just worried! we dont do it too often but we have done it a couple of times.. thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Wow, I never heard that it was harmful. I actually heard that you were supposed to blow dry them to prevent them from getting any kind of cold or illness since they are so small and they chill easily. I think most people do blowdry their maltese after they bathe them, but who knows! I guess this didnt really help...but Welcome to Spoiled Maltese anyway!!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
First of all

Second of all....I've never heard that. I was told (just as NewMom382 says) you SHOULD blow dry them. Letting them air dry may cause them to become ill. I always blow dry Massimo. I hope I'm not giving him brain damage.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I blow dry Brink too...that is his favorite part of the bath...
I can't see where it is harmful....I dry my hair every day...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I blow dry the boys all the time. They get a bath once a week and any other time that they get themselves all wet. It's never been a problem for us. If I didn't blow dry, it would kill me to see them shiver until they air dried.

Welcome to SM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all so much for your replies!! :D i bet you my friend is just nuts.. i mean they get blowdried at the groomer, and if they are show dogs im sure they get tons of blowdrying.. maybe i just have to make sure it doesnt get too hot which was one of my concerns. thank you again!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by maureen@Sep 27 2005, 07:21 AM
thank you all so much for your replies!!  :D  i bet you my friend is just nuts.. i mean they get blowdried at the groomer, and if they are show dogs im sure they get tons of blowdrying.. maybe i just have to make sure it doesnt get too hot which was one of my concerns. thank you again!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103851
[/QUOTE]
Yes, do make sure it doesn't get too hot.... put it on a "warm" setting, not too hot. Let the air "hit"your hand so you can tell how hot it is. Don't put the dryer too close to their skin, also... and WELCOME TO SM!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
[attachment=547:attachment]

The only thing I can think of that might be harmful is if you use one of those grooming dryers .. which are high powered... and blow it at a dogs head and maybe the pressure could hurt them... but i dunno...
Kodie gets blown away from just little blow dryer.. haha..

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would say that for as LONG as the breeders out there and the groomers
that blow dry their maltese that if there was any underlying effects of brain
damage we would have known a LONG time ago. I blow dry my little Cosmo and
he is only 1lb. 1 oz. (hopefully at the vet this friday I will find out that he
has gained some.) and he doesn't seem to be any dumber. In fact just as smart
as ever.

I believe the only thing you have to be careful of is not holding the dryer to close
or it being to hot cause then you can heat damage their coat as well as
burn their precious little skin. If I didn't blow dry Cosmo atleast some
he would be a pupsicle, it could be 100 degrees in here and he would still
be shivering.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
haha.. you just have to watch that your baby doesnt fall off the table while drying from the force of air.. haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.