Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We are going to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO and motel doesn't have any available pet rooms so will be boarding Toby.

I've never boarded before and only time he's been at vet was when he was sick and had to stay 4 days. I asked about if they would comb or brush him told them about misting before brushing his coat.

I just worry that his coat will be matted when I pick him up. I've asked the few people I know here if they would come over and let him out and feed him but no luck.

Would putting cowboy magic detangler on his hair help so he won't be a tangled miss when I pick him up. He will be there 5 days. His coat doesn't tangle to easy. His coat is long but not to the ground.

Would appreciate any suggestion.

Linda:unsure:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oooh, what a timely thread. I could use a little help on this too. :) Dora is going to be boarded for a long weekend just a few days before her next grooming appointment, so she'll be at her scruffiest. ;) They like to think of themselves as more of a luxury doggy hotel, so they better throw in brushing if I request it...but I'm sure they won't be as thorough as my husband and I are.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I get a pet sitter for Lady or she stays at my vet's if I absolutely have to leave her, but I would think you could request a daily grooming. They will probably charge you extra, but it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Hi,

We are going to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO and motel doesn't have any available pet rooms so will be boarding Toby.

I've never boarded before and only time he's been at vet was when he was sick and had to stay 4 days. I asked about if they would comb or brush him told them about misting before brushing his coat.

I just worry that his coat will be matted when I pick him up. I've asked the few people I know here if they would come over and let him out and feed him but no luck.

Would putting cowboy magic detangler on his hair help so he won't be a tangled miss when I pick him up. He will be there 5 days. His coat doesn't tangle to easy. His coat is long but not to the ground.

Would appreciate any suggestion.

Linda:unsure:
Hey Linda, I hope I am not understanding the paragraph above where you have asked people to come in & feed him and let him out to potty---are you considering leaving him for 5 days w/someone just coming in to do this? IMO that would be a grave disservice to this little guy! We have a cat & with a cat it would not be a problem---but I would never do it w/a maltese! Please reconsider if you are---I would definitely board in that case.
You might leave a bottle of spray w/the boarding service and ask them to spray before each groom & also to clean out his eye corners (they sometimes are not aware that this is an issue either).
Enjoy your holiday!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Hey Linda, I hope I am not understanding the paragraph above where you have asked people to come in & feed him and let him out to potty---are you considering leaving him for 5 days w/someone just coming in to do this? IMO that would be a grave disservice to this little guy! We have a cat & with a cat it would not be a problem---but I would never do it w/a maltese! Please reconsider if you are---I would definitely board in that case.
You might leave a bottle of spray w/the boarding service and ask them to spray before each groom & also to clean out his eye corners (they sometimes are not aware that this is an issue either).
Enjoy your holiday!
I agree. My pet sitter spends the night and also stops in a couple times throughout the day even though Lady is pad trained.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just thought he'd be happier to be at home and have someone come over for a while. But the gal wasn't interested in doing that so he will be staying at the vets.
I will ask them if I bring a mist bottle and his comb and brush if they would please brush him out once a day.

I've never went some place with out him but this time will have to a motels we checked on either didn't allow pets or the few pet rooms they had were already taken.

I'm going to also ask them if I can bring his bed and some toys for him.

Linda

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I've boarded Bisou twice at her Vet's but in her own private room there. I bring her crate and her little princess bed plus toys and her food bowls. Also I bring her brush, grooming spray and cloth to clean her face (plus bands for her hair). The private room is pretty big actually so she has more than enough space. Actually I put all her things into a large suitcase and take them there in that (and leave the suitcase there for when I return).

They tell me that they brush her everyday and she's not matted at all when I pick her up. So far, it's work well for us, but I do also trust her in their care too. We used to have a pet sitter who spent the night at our place, but we thought something was 'off' about her, so now we don't use her. good luck!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I would be careful with Cowboy Magic. Lola had a mat in her tail a couple of nights ago and I used the Cowboy Majic. with the intention of bathing her the next day. She licked at it overnight and made herself really sick :(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumbsup:Hi,
I've use cowboy magic on him after I give him a bath. I bathe him once a week, it helps with not getting poop stuck to his behind. It also helps on his back legs as the hair seems more puffy there.

I'm going to talk to the vet office today about letting me bring his bed and mist bottle and brush as I just don't want him matted when I get back.

Thanks for all the information. I just want him to be happy not sad at the vets. I plan on calling them to see how he is doing.

Linda and Toby.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

I talked to the vet today and yes I can bring his bed, blanket, and any toys I want to. I can bring mist bottle and comb and brush. She said that they could brush him for me. :chili: :wub:
Linda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts