Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share this tragic story with everyone and especially to anyone who takes their pets out on a boat. My girlfriend’s neighbors were out on a pontoon boat with their two young kids and their 8 month-old yellow lab. They had been on the boat for about two hours when Mango, the lab, who was at the front of the boat, dropped her stick in the water, jumped into get it and went under the boat and was killed by the propeller. They are devastated to say the least. Hope this story will save a life.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Horrible...I took Teddy boating while I was away and although he was in a life jacket I kept him in my arms just in case....I never thought of the propeller issue. Devastating.

I am sure posting the story will help someone.

Susan

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh that poor family, that is so sad.
I would probably never take Scooby on a boat but if I did he would be wearing a life jacket and also be on his harness and lead for extra safety. I would never forgive meself it something like that ever happened to him.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Aug 2 2005, 06:49 PM
For those malts that do have life jackets, have they ever actually swam with the life jacket on?  I would be curious to know if they have swam in their life jackets, what kind you use, because I tried two different kinds and both, because of her short legs, and the distance between her neck and legs is short they got caught in the neck.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86790
[/QUOTE]

Yes, this happens with Phoebe, and my last maltese, Holli, it was the same thing. Neither liked to go in the water...

The situation described here is the reason people are not allowed to ride on the front of a pontoon while it is moving (at least in my state) anymore. I still see people up there, when anything can happen to jerk you off the front of that boat. That is exactly where you will go once in front of a moving boat (into the prop). My point being, not only is this important for animals, people need to be careful themselves and stay inside while the boat is moving. They toy thing is sad
like kids running after a get-away toy into the street or something

Very sad story and I hope the family is doing ok

1 - 7 of 7 Posts