Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the Puget Sound area spring is around the corner, and we'll soon be boating again.
Beastie is only 4 months old, and has never been on the boat. We've already purchased a doggie life vest for him, but I'm wondering if anybody has any wisdom to impart about keeping Beastie safe and happy while aboard. Does anyone boat with their furbabies? Any issues with seasickness? Any information and help about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have been on boats with people labs and dogs like that but never a maltese, i guess you sure just start out going slow near shore i dont know what kinda of boat you are talking about though i would be nervous brining sunny on a little ski boat (but ask abotu this agian a few months and i will proubly have ended up bringing him on one lol)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i say u r doing it right...start him off young and he wont know to be afraid. just make sure to make it a positive experience. how is he in the car? parker has never been in a boat, but my hubby's boss has a toy poodle that goes boating all the time. she loves it! she has a little life vest too. i think they just started her out young, ever since she was a pup. have fun! :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lady M - He's great in the car, so I'm hopeful he won't toss his doggie cookies.

Lilly - The boat is 20', so it's small but has a cuddy cabin where he could sleep and hang out.

I promised him that if he likes boating, I'll let HIM be the captain (don't tell hubby) and get him a proper cap. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@Mar 5 2005, 04:10 PM
Lady M - He's great in the car, so I'm hopeful he won't toss his doggie cookies. 

Lilly - The boat is 20', so it's small but has a cuddy cabin where he could sleep and hang out.

I promised him that if he likes boating, I'll let HIM be the captain (don't tell hubby) and get him a proper cap. :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40255
[/QUOTE]

Awww!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Sadie and Sassy haven't been boating, but Jolie goes. She wears her life vest. I tried several different ones, but the one that she likes the best doesn't have the big bulky neck piece which was uncomfortable. She doesn't get sick, but we are afraid to let her roam around the boat, for fear she's see something and go right over the side or back. We see lots of people out with their dogs. We leash her so that she can move about the boat, but not jump out. We've sold our boat during the holidays and are looking for a bigger one, so don't know when Sadie and Sassy will get their turn.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We took Rudy out to the boat for the first time a couple of weeks ago.We didn't take it out but we spent the day on it.Rudy stayed in side and slept for the most part but he did seem to like it out there.I got him a life jacket and I will always keep him on a life line when were at sail.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@Mar 5 2005, 04:10 PM

I promised him that if he likes boating, I'll let HIM be the captain (don't tell hubby) and get him a proper cap.  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40255
[/QUOTE]
I like the idea that some folks mentioned of keeping a tether of some sort on him. I wouldn't think it'd be good just to have him loose on the boat.

And also, you might want to just put him on the boat a couple times and not go anywhere so he'll learn to feel comfortable on it and know that nothing bad is going to happen.

It sounds like so much fun!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i rented a boat for an hour and the dogs LOVED it. i'm hoping that jongee and my dogs get along so that they can do more adventurous stuff than going to a dog park, you know?

but yeah, just make sure you have a leash on your baby so that he doesnt fall overboard.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I was just picturing you being on one of those tiny jet ski boats that bounce all over the place (that what most people have around here) but with a little cabin it sound liek things will go good, beastie will be able to get out of the sun for a while that way.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My dad went fishing with a pomerainian once, and it fell in the water, but it just swam back to shore. Of coarse they weren't far in the sea, it was only a little lake. But if you are really far, I can't help you there...sorry.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Cappy@Mar 5 2005, 05:05 PM
My dad went fishing with a pomerainian once, and it fell in the water, but it just swam back to shore.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40310
[/QUOTE] :eek:

We will certainly keep him tethered; he's lucky I let him potty by himself! :lol:

If I can find some kind of sailor suit, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. Can you imagine all the other dogs saluting him?! He'd be the alpha admiral.

We just came home from PetSmart (the people who have more of my money than I do). I saw the cutest retro bowling shirt - something right out of Laverne & Shirley. It was the bomb! Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit in the shopping cart with all the rest of the stuff we bought
, so no go for now. I also found a Davy Crockett hat (this'll date me for sure). Husband just gave me that look........

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@Mar 5 2005, 09:33 PM
If I can find some kind of sailor suit, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. Can you imagine all the other dogs saluting him?! He'd be the alpha admiral. 

We just came home from PetSmart (the people who have more of my money than I do). I saw the cutest retro bowling shirt - something right out of Laverne & Shirley. It was the bomb! Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit in the shopping cart with all the rest of the stuff we bought 
, so no go for now. I also found a Davy Crockett hat (this'll date me for sure). Husband just gave me that look........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40322
[/QUOTE]
You HAVE to try ebay!!! They have tons of doggy outfits! Just be sure to measure and check their size charts.
Your hubby's gonna hate me for mentioning that to you

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My husband LOVES ebay! Probably more interested in the electronic gadgets than doggie outfits, but I'm starting to think ebay could become a family interest.
Thanks, littlepeanut!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts