Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make this long story short...

(Scene 1: bath/clip time)

Friday night, I needed to clip/bathe Brink. Hubby was working, so I got the kids to come in the bathroom with me and feed him tiny bites of bologna (no lectures please) while I was doing his feet (because I have said how much trouble I have with his feet). Anyway, when we were completely finished (the kids had been long gone back to the living room)-I put Brink over the hallway gate to go back in there with them, and I cleaned up the bathroom (hair, shampoo, dryer etc.).
All of the sudden my son starts SCREAMING for me to come in there :eek:! So I ran in there and he said Brinkley had stolen a piece of bologna from Emily (who was eating it on the couch-and was not supposed to be
) and that he had swallowed the red string that goes around it. Mitchell was FREAKING out. When I got to Brinkley, he still had almost 1/2 the piece of meat, but I did not see any string. I asked my son 100 times if he was sure that he swallowed it, and he said he was positive.

So, after much scolding of my daughter...I told hubby when he got home, and he said he would probably poop it out.
So, I settled down.

(Cut to Scene 2: Saturday Morning)

I get up and shampoo all the carpets. They smell so good and look so nice.
I also mopped the kitchen floor. When I do that, I have to lock Brink out of the kitchen until it dries, of course, so he doesn't get it on his feet. Well, he decided he had to potty. He has one wee box in the computer room...but it had one small pee spot on it. So, he started pooing in that box and decided (I'm guessing) that there was not enough clean space, and went and poo'd on several spots of my CLEAN carpet. Now, if it had been normal poops, this would not have caused such a "moment"...but....I am guessing the combination of two pieces of raunchy bologna and the string being caught inside of him....cause runny poos!
Again, remember...on my CLEAN carpets! :new_Eyecrazy: Little tiny drops of loose poo everywhere! When I came around the corner and found it...he immediately rolled over on his back!
Why do they have to be so darn cute?!?!
So, I got out the pet stain cleaner and the Nature's Miracle and went to work. I got it out, and nobody was the wiser.

(Scene 3: Chatting with LadyM)

While chatting with LadyM....I asked her about it...(swallowing the bologna string)...and she told me that it COULD be very serious/dangerous if it got caught in his intestine and he could not pass it.
She told me the signs to look for (like runny stools
, vomiting, heavy breathing)! I was getting really sick at my stomach with worry. She was concerned that it had been 24 hours and I had not noticed him passing it. She advised me to call the vet, which I did, at home...and he said to watch for the same signs she did...and to give it another 24 hours to see if he passed it. He was not immediately concerned, because Brink was not acting different. So, I was very worried...but kept hoping that since he wasn't acting like he was in pain or anything...that he was gonna be ok.

(Scene 4: Morning Poop Inspection)

HE PASSED IT!
I was SO relieved. I even "closely" (blech!) inspected it to make sure the entire circle of string was there...and it was!
So a nice ending...but a few moments of stress there!

Lessons to be learned from this story...
1) Don't let your fluff-butts eat bologna strings! :D
2) A clean carpet or mopped floor will always bring about an accident of some kind when you have pets and kids! :new_Eyecrazy:
3) LadyM rules!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I am so rolling! Shame on you for feeding him Bologna! LOL JUST KIDDING!!!!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
so happy he passed it. i was really worried about him. i was telling hubby about it, he will be happy to hear the news

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bet you were totally freaked out. I panicked when Izzy pulled some hair out of my stepson's head the other day and swallowed it. (He has really long hair) I can't imagine how scary this was for you. So glad it ended well.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Only here would we all be so happy that Brink pooped out red strings!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Whe I eat bologna, the first thing I do is pull the string off and throw it in the trash.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Whew, You really had me worried. I can only imagine what you went through. So glad you had a happy ending.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 6 2005, 12:30 PM
Whe I eat bologna, the first thing I do is pull the string off and throw it in the trash. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40448
[/QUOTE]

Duh!!!!!!!! He stole it from Emily...who is almost 5...she had the whole bologna package in her lap...she reached in to get a piece and supposedly he grabbed it out of her hand. I haven't trained Brinkley yet to take off the red strings...we usually do that for him! Ha ha...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm gald that he passed it OK . These dogs are something else. I'm convinced that they are the coolest dogs on the planet. :lol:
BETTY

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Mar 6 2005, 01:07 PM
Duh!!!!!!!! He stole it from Emily...who is almost 5...she had the whole bologna package in her lap...she reached in to get a piece and supposedly he grabbed it out of her hand. I haven't trained Brinkley yet to take off the red strings...we usually do that for him! Ha ha...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40479
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, Emily is a pig! LOL Apparently, Brink knows how to take off the string...just doesnt know how to throw it in the trash!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
LOL, you're hilarious!!!! i've given the dogs turkey slices.
so i know what you mean if you need something yummy to get him distracted. sucks about the red string...im really glad it passed. and if you teach brinkley how to take off the string--you're gonna have to tell everyone.

you know what story REALLY pissed me off on Emergency Vets? that little girl who put a rubber band around the dogs neck. i think she was like 5 yrs old....i mean---my niece is 5 and she knows from right and wrong. i think this little girl on tv must've been retarded...and so was her mother.

·
Registered
939 Posts
tlunn so glad everything turned out alright !i have 3 kids too and i always have to tell my 3 yr old not to share her food with the boys
mA

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Brink knows what he's doing! The only thing better than bologna is grilled cheese and bologna. Glad everything ended up ok!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts