Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my boyfriend conviced me to let my 11 1/2 week old malt Chilly have a rib bone. He ate half of it in an hour and loved it and everything has been fine since. Then I saw a post on another board where a lady was in a panic because her dog ate a chicken bone and I got worried! I thought dogs having bones was natural, are malts different?

Thanks!
Mal & Chilly

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I think the "bad" bones are the cooked bones because they splinter. Uncooked bones are supposed to better.

This is just my opinion, but with all the quality treats out there, I wouldn't chance it by feeding my guys cooked or uncooked bones. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's true, I'm really starting to regret it now!

And in addition to my first post, I wanted to add that Chilly has been doing this weird thing the past couple of days, it almost seems like he wants to cough up a hairball and he gags after doing that for a while. Do you think this has anything to do with the bone and does it require vet attention?

Any thoughts would be SO appreciated. My boyfriend said it would be fine and he had a shih szu all his life who loved bones, but that dog was fed table scraps, so I don't know whether I should trust his old-fashioned opinion. I definitely trust the board more!

Mal & Chilly

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Is he having BMs? I know that sometimes things like bones can cause intestinal blockage, so be cautious.

If you feel that he is acting weird, and him being so young, you might be better off going to the vet. It may give you piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What do you think dogs ate a thousand years ago? Heck, a couple hundred years ago? Kibble? Nope. Raw meat and bones. If raw bones caused splintering and death, there would be no dogs today.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Thousands of years ago there weren't small dogs though. They were decendants from the wolf and probably better equipped to handle the bones. Evolution has probably played a large role in what they can now tolerate and what they can't. JMO

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
My vet says small dogs should never be given bones, they might splinter. Years ago we had a cockapoo that my husband fed chicken bones to, she became very ill, we had to take her to the vet, she had to stay over night, :new_Eyecrazy: . lots of $, but a lesson was learned

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think there is some sort of knuckle bone that is OK but I would check with your vet. But I will stick with kibble and Nylabones. I just feel there is no reason to "look for trouble". Why chance it?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
RAW bones are OK. It's the cooked ones that are dangerous especially cooked chicken bones because they splinter. Raw chicken wings are even said to be good for their teeth. Keeps tartar away. At 11-1/2 weeks I wonder how much actual rib bone he ate. Did he only nibble the meat away from it, or did he actually crack the bone ? It seems to me that his baby teeth would not be strong enough to do that. But I could be wrong. Our late lhasa apso ate bones (not chicken) occasionnally and it never hurt him. And our late dachshund even ate chicken bones and he never had a problem with it. But he was an exceptionnally slow eating dog who would chew and chew and chew. I would not recommend that any dog eats cooked chicken bones. We don't give Alex any bones for 2 reasons. N° 1 he does not want anything raw (the package of raw chicken wings ended in the garbage), N° 2 we would have to lay on the floor and hold the bone for him because apparently he does not want his paws to get dirty.
Now, Nichole, don't be silly, small dogs were around even thousands of years ago. But you don't have to go back that far. A hundred years ago there was no dog food around and all the dogs survived. They not even needed vets like they do today. And the healthy ones lived as long as they live today. Commercial dog food started to come up about 40 or 50 years ago. That way they can get rid of all the meat they cannot sell to people and make money out of it. Our dachshund was almost 17 years old when he died and never ate dog food in his life.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Miko loves bully sticks, greenies, nylabones and a few other types of bones I get for him the names of which escape me right now. With such a wide assortment of edible/chewable bones out there, I don't see the need for the real bones. However, I basically rarely cook and getting real bones would be more of an inconvenience than its worth...but they are probably safe??

Kind of off the topic -- but there was all this stuff about greenies not being safe. I personally don't see that to be true in our case. Miko only gets them 3-4 times per week (less most weeks) and he slowly chews them. He loves them sooooo much and I just can't deprive him of that pleasure.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Sep 8 2005, 10:16 PM
Miko loves bully sticks, greenies, nylabones and a few other types of bones I get for him the names of which escape me right now.  With such a wide assortment of edible/chewable bones out there, I don't see the need for the real bones.  However, I basically rarely cook and getting real bones would be more of an inconvenience than its worth...but they are probably safe?? 

Kind of off the topic -- but there was all this stuff about greenies not being safe.  I personally don't see that to be true in our case.  Miko only gets them 3-4 times per week (less most weeks) and he slowly chews them.  He loves them sooooo much and I just can't deprive him of that pleasure.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97961
[/QUOTE]
You're lucky he eats them slowly. Kallie would devour them and completely finish one in about 5 minutes!! The next morning she would throw up and there would be pieces of the Greenie in the vomit. So, no more Greenies around here!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I had heard that cooked bones were not good for them because they splinter.
I know a friend of mine had a puppy Schipperke (?) that got into their trash and ate a chicken bone. It lodged in his throat and they had to surgery 1000+ dollars.
They learned their lesson too.

We have a lady at our church that wants the chicken bones left over from church suppers. I won't let her have them when I am in the kitchen. I tell her I will not be a part of her dog dying from splintered chicken bones. She thinks I am nuts, as she has given them to him FOREVER. Somebody else bags them up for her..and she has gotten them out of the trash before. I refuse.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Just another angle, and I personally won't risk it, but I tried stopping someone from giving a friend's dog chicken bones and he said the "soft" bones are ok, like the cartilidge (sp?) type bones. He insisted, and said its the cooked, harder chicken bones that splinter.

I say a bones a bones a bone. Phoebe says if a greenie isnt a bone, what good are bones? She loves greenies better than anything so we stick to them. I actually limit them because she just seems so broken-hearted when I have to take them away that it hurts me too much to have to do it
I'm such a wimp.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sir N lived on raw chicken with bones and raw beef (couldn't find any beef bones small enough for him) for nearly a year. He'd LOVE it if we went back to that diet. Little C loved it as well, but she has all kinds of other problems and does better on vet-recommended kibble (that has to change with every bag as she develops allergies to it). Sir N NEVER had a problem on raw meat/bones. Little C NEVER choked on a chicken bone either.

Really, if I hadn't gone vegan, I'd probably try it again to see if Little C does better now that she's older as she keeps developing allergies to all the kibble that available. But, I can no longer stand the smell of meat, raw or cooked and certainly could never handle cutting it up for them or anything like that. Or washing the blood off their mouths and ears. Yuck.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i tried giving gruffi raw marrow bone(well, i offerred to all three...but gruffi was the only one interested)...but it would chip and have jagged pieces. some that look like little daggers...so i stopped.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Buster has been on a raw diet for 2 months now, with no problems. He eats chicken necks,backs,and wings-all raw, and once in awhile a beef rib he is also on the Bravo ground raw blends. His poopies are small, firm and don't even stink. He loves the raw diet. My golden retriever is also on raw.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 3 are all on a raw diet and they get raw meaty bones as well, usually lamb but sometimes beef. I know raw chicken necks & backs are good in a raw diet, but I just can't bring myself to feed them, they are so messy. Instead the raw food I purchase has finely ground bone in it, so they are getting their calcium that way. The raw food is frozen and I only thaw the amount needed for each meal.

They all do extremely well on the diet, and their teeth are sparkling white, not a bit of tarter even on the very back ones. Apparently has something to do with the enzymes needed to digest the raw food.

I tried home cooking, but was having trouble keeping the diet balanced with the proper amounts of nutrients they need and their protien counts went up. So I switched to raw (Gracie and Brie will not eat any type of kibble , Will will eat anything
) Pat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts