Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K I need your help/suggestions!

I am trying to order my mom a book on B&N for her birthday, I hate ordering stuff online...and paying shipping, but they don't have it in-store. So I was just going to order it, but I guess I could just get it shipped to the store maybe for free? :huh:
But I was looking at books and maybe just going to buy one for myself too, to get the free shipping. Because books (and the one I'm getting her too) are usually cheaper online with codes and stuff. And you get free shipping if you spend over $25 I think. So with 2 books, I probably would.
So anyway..I was just browsing through books. I have like 3 here right now I need to read first haha, so now I really don't know what other book I'd want. I just ordered some a few months ago. So does anyone have any suggestions? Like, what is your favorite book(s)?

I kind of read a range of books. Like I've already read and LOVE all the Harry Potter books. Chronicles of Narnia. So I like those kinds of mystical magical books. And I've read half of the Nicholas Sparks books, so I like those kinds...but all the ones he has that interest me, I own already. All the Twilight books...

And then some random ones here and there in between. I started reading the Hunger Games series books. I'm reading Graceling and will be reading Fire which comes next after that.

I bought an Emily Giffin book, but I haven't read it yet, so I didn't want to buy another one incase I didn't even like that one, like her style or anything...I wanted to read that one first.

Or any kind of dog books you'd recommend? I'm open for suggestions.
I was thinking, the Time Traveler's Wife, I KINDA wanted to read that, but I dunno if I'd like it. Anyone read it?

So whats your faves????

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
We have very similar taste in books. Loved Twilight series too. I have read almost ALL of Emily Giffin's books. Read them....you won't regret it. Such easy fun reads and very relatable topics. Love the One You're With was my favorite by her. Something Borrowed, Something Blue and Baby Proof are great reads too.

I am in the middle of the Time Traveler's Wife...ehh....I wanted to love it, but I just don't. I think I need to start it over.

Did you read My Sister's Keeper? It was different from the movie and much better, imo.

Since you like Narnia and Harry Potter, did you ever get into any of Gregory Maguire's books? He writes about classic fairytales but from a different perspective. I've read Wicked, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Mirror Mirror. Tough reads but very good if you can get into them.

WHen I go home tonight I'll look at my bookcase and see what other favs I had. I am drawing a blank right now b/c all I read for the last 4 months was the Twilight series LOL...they took over my life. LOL

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My favorite books go all over the place; I'm not locked into any one genre. Some of my favorites:

Magical/Mystical
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Harry Potter Books - J. K. Rowling
Classics
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baronness Orczy
American Classics
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
Current
Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
Non Fiction
Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
The Pact - Drs. Sampson Davis, George Jenkins, and Rameck Hunt
Just For Fun
Anything by Sophie Kinsella
Anything by Sue Grafton
More Faves That I Don't Know How to Categorize
Giants In The Earth - O.E. Rolvaag
A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
My Brilliant Career - Miles Franklin

Of all the books from the list above, Water for Elephants is right up at the top of my list of favorites. If you decide to read it, absolutely DO NOT cheat and read the ending first (which I tend to do but was advised not to with this book). The ending blew me away.

Happy Reading!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that sounds interesting...and kind of depressing. Is it really THAT good???

Thanks for the list, I will look into some of them. I don't like "tough" reads hahah, like I'm in school and being forced to read something. THen I never finish them.

It is funny though because I got Twilight for Christmas in 08, but didn't pick it up till July 09. And then read the entire series in like a month almost, because I couldn't put them down. But I never thought I'd like it, I had gotten it for Christmas and was almost done reading the Harry Potters so I needed something to read next. But I didn't think I'd become a FAN!!! like I did of them hahaha.
So thats why I never know what to pick up. I feel like I might be missing out on something really good just because I had never heard of it. Like I didn't hear of them till the movies came out, and still didn't read it till a year later.

You guys would probably like the Hunger Games. I LOVED that book, and have the sequel sitting here waiting to finish this other book I'm reading. It is bizzare. A kids book sorta like the Harry Potters are, but too brutal for kids I think. But it is really really good.

Has anyone read the Golden Compass? I just realized it was a book, and I have it taped on my DVR, maybe I will try and watch it and see if I like it, and order that book? That sorta reminds me of how the Narnia and HP's maybe are??

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Thanks for the list, I will look into some of them. I don't like "tough" reads hahah, like I'm in school and being forced to read something. THen I never finish them.
I don't really like tough reads either (and was soooo done with homework years ago!) but sometimes read them because others whose taste I trust highly recommend them. The Mists of Avalon started out being a tough read for me because I'm not a big fan of magical/mystical or science fiction. But liking it as much as I did is what drew me to the Harry Potter books. Les Miserables was a tough read in the beginning, too, in part because it was so huge (I did not read the abridged version), but I do like almost anything about the French Revolution so decided to tackle it and was so happy that I did. Water For Elephants captured me from the first word and never disappointed me for even a moment. Truly one of my all time favorites (and I've read it more than once!).

·
Registered
590 Posts
YES - read the Golden Compass! Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (GC is #1 in the trilogy) are fantastic fantastic reads and much more sophisticated than Harry Potter, but still written with an innocent eye. I've recommended these to so many people. They're marketed as children's books as well, but you get so much more out of them as adults... and if you check out Amazon reviews for them, you'll see that

The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my faves as well - it's this beautiful epic story and it WILL make you cry :p. I read the whole thing in 2 days because I couldn't put it down. I haven't seen the movie yet, as I'm a bit afraid it'll ruin the book a bit for me

I really like Emily Giffin as well - Something Borrowed/Blue were fantastic and I've read them over and over again

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
If you like the Twilight series, I recommend reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels :) Trueblood is based off of those and I just LOVE the show and the books!! :)

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Looking at the list of books that you've enjoyed, I would encourage you to get the Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart. There are actually 4 books in the series (so I don't understand why it's called a "trilogy").

The first one is The Crystal Cave.

I just dug mine out (re-read them after about 20 years) for my husband's granddaughter. She loved all the ones you mentioned and is now on the 3rd of Mary Stewart's Merline series.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Les Miserables is my all-time favorite book.

I also like the Mary Stewart books that were mentioned.

I'm reading The Huger Games at a friend's recommendation. It's hard for me to get into, as it's a young adult book, and I never read one before. It's difficult for me to read fiction when I'm writing, anyway.

A few authors whose work I respect: Graham Greene, James Lee Burke, Alan Furst, Philip Kerr, Orson Scott Card, John Le Carre, Robert Heinlein. I don't really recommend books very often, as I have eclectic taste and most people wouldn't like the books I enjoy.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i read all types of books.

all the dan brown
political thrillers by james flynn? i forget authors.

the twilight series.
i am now reading the lovely bones.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YES - read the Golden Compass! Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (GC is #1 in the trilogy) are fantastic fantastic reads and much more sophisticated than Harry Potter, but still written with an innocent eye. I've recommended these to so many people. They're marketed as children's books as well, but you get so much more out of them as adults... and if you check out Amazon reviews for them, you'll see that
Looking at the list of books that you've enjoyed, I would encourage you to get the Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart. There are actually 4 books in the series (so I don't understand why it's called a "trilogy").

The first one is The Crystal Cave.

I just dug mine out (re-read them after about 20 years) for my husband's granddaughter. She loved all the ones you mentioned and is now on the 3rd of Mary Stewart's Merline series.
I LOVE series books. I didn't know the GC was a series...And I will have to look into those other ones.

That is why I was so in love with the Harry Potter books, because I always had something there to read hahha. And Twilight. And the Hunger Games has a 3rd one coming out. Once I love a book, I want MORE so I get excited when I find a good series to pick up.

I would probably like Golden Compass then. Do you think it is similar to Harry Potter and Narnia? Like Narnia is supposed to be for kids...but I remember sitting there reading all the chronicles, and would have to re-read over some stuff because I'd get lost in the writing.

But I love all these lists, I will be looking up info about them tonight and figure out something to order. Maybe I will see if the Elephant book is at the bookstore and read some of it there before I'd order it. Sounds weird to me, but maybe I'd like it! Thanks ladies, and keep any more ideas coming! I looooove reading :chili:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Oh my, I can't believe that you like "Les Misérables". I could not read it when I was young and it does not attract me now. I never was attracted to any books by Victor Hugo.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Oh my, I can't believe that you like "Les Misérables". I could not read it when I was young and it does not attract me now. I never was attracted to any books by Victor Hugo.
You and me both. I could name a few other authors that I HAD to read in high school and in college and I never understand everyone's attraction to them.

Oh well, to each his own.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I LOVED Les Miserables.

Many others must have loved it too, since it's still in print and was published in 1862. Unlike some "blockbuster bestsellers" that are loaded onto the remainder table after a year, and then go out of print after two, lol.

Reading is very personal and very subjective. That is why it is so hard to get a book published or even recommend books. I'm in a writer's critique group and believe me, what one person thinks is wonderful, someone else will hate.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my faves as well - it's this beautiful epic story and it WILL make you cry :p. I read the whole thing in 2 days because I couldn't put it down. I haven't seen the movie yet, as I'm a bit afraid it'll ruin the book a bit for me
I really enjoyed The Time Traveller's Wife! Highly recommend it, although yes, it will make you cry. I couldn't put it down either, and was willing to sacrifice sleep to finish it :p The movie's not nearly as good as the book, but Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana make a cute couple :D

If you like easy reads, I recommend Julie & Julia, I just finished it last week and got a good laugh out of it. I know the book has mixed reviews but it's just hilarious!!

Also recommend the Dan Brown books, The Lost Symbol, The Da Vinci Code, and Angels and Demons. He published them in the reverse order that I listed, but I find his newer books more engaging.

Seems like a lot of you guys love the Twilight series here :blink:, I have it sitting on my shelf and still haven't read them yet. Although I did wikipedia the plot and have been watching the movies(just out of curiosity :p) I'm a loyal fan of the Harry Potter series!!

Are you into chick-flickishy classics? I recommend Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Persuasion. Very satisfying romance :wub: I also liked Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm in a writer's critique group and believe me, what one person thinks is wonderful, someone else will hate.
I couldn't agree more and feel the same way about movies which is why I rarely go to the movies anymore. I used to buy books and go to movies based on newspaper reviews. Wow, was my taste different than the reviewers alot of the time.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts