1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here ever get bored? I am a stay at home mommy and
don't really know anyone in this area. I seem to get bored ALL the time
lately. Does anyone know of any crafts or hobby's that I can do that doesn't
cost too much to help me ease the humdrum of my days???

I would really appreciate any and all input.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have done embroidery, crochet, ceramics, gardening, tapestry. I also love to read. My latest hobby is playing games on the computer (only free ones).

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
How about canning foods.. I does not cost to much. It will deffinetly keep you busy and you have food for when your ready to cook.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
How old are your children? Are you bored while they are at school? If they are pre-school age, then what about play groups with other moms. You could even start a babysitting co-op so you could have some time away from the house. If your kids are in school, then what about volunteer work at their schools? I always found that getting to know teachers and principals was invaluable.

Counted cross stitch is pretty inexpenisve and you can learn without taking a class. You can make lots of nice gifts.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just LOVE to make beaded jewelry. It's super easy to get silk cord and make long knotted necklaces with glass beads, and they're beautiful, and very chic right now... go to Artbeads.com for free shipping on beads and supplies

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Do you have a backyard you can take up gardening? If not you can still do it with house plant. Like herbs.
There are many different things to do in the gardening everyday.
You can start with out even buying anything.
First you make a plan and do all your research. Like if you like perennials and annuals.
you can plan to have both or just perennial the once that grow back every year to minimize your cost and work load.

What I did the first year was draw out a plan of my back yard and what i wanted in there.

To the right hand corner I made a cutting follower sections. All tulips grape hyacinth and gladiola. As you can tell they all bloom at different times of the year... so I have cut flowers all the time.

Then I selected what color garden I wanted I selected blues purples and reds..
There are no yellow or orange in my garden. There is also companion planting to keep your garding pest free. It also good exercise and the kids love to help. Our niece and friends children help us all the time. There is so much to do ... even just the fertilizing and pruning or shaping or moving your plants around until your found the right spot. You also do not have to spend to much if you plan right.
Purchase the plants young and strong they will be cheaper and you can prune them to grow the way you want to. In winter you can do force blooming . Most of the information you can get of the internet and HGTV. They have lots of great TV shows.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I completly understand how you feel
I'm also a stay at home mom. My kids are in school but my son has some medical issues that make it hard for me to work. I have been considering trying to work again because things have been going reasonably well for my son at this time. well yesterday my husband came home and said he had gotten a raise and I dont have get a job. Which is of course is good news. But I still think I'll keep an eye out for a job that fits our schedule. Don't get me wrong I completly appreciate that I am able to stay home, but when the kids are in school there is really only so much cleaning that can be done on one house.

I went though a baking faze, tried knitting, reading, walking, now I'm getting into this board. Everyone has been so great

When ever I complain about being bored to my hubby he informs me that he would love being home all day and would go golfing all the time if he did'nt have to work, and I should do that. So that would be his great advice for you
BTW I'm not a golfer.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Do you have children at home? What area of the country do you live? (The reason I ask is because winter is coming soon.)

Are you crafty in any way? There are lots of crafts that you could do that make very nice gifts. Do you sew? You can make adorable little clothes for your fur baby. I make beautiful jewelry but I use a lot of Swaroski crystals so it can get expensive, although you can just use glass beads. It is very easy to learn to do. Reading is always a relaxing way to spend the afternoon. Join an exercise class. If you know any other women your age who do not work you could start a girls afternoon and once a week get together for lunch or something. Take some kind of fun class that might interest you. Last fall I took an etiquette class just to refresh my table setting skills and learn new up to date things. The teacher arranged the class so that we had a little tea party afterwards. It was fun, simple, and easy. I want to have a tea party for some friends soon. You could get started on your holiday shopping and not get caught in the last minute rush.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I strongly suggest that you volunteer for a charity. You will meet like-minded people and will likely develop friendships. Once you have shown that you are a hard worker you will likely be able to serve on committees for projects and perhaps even get a position on the board of directors. Charities love people who can give their time. And the greatest part of this is that you will feel so great knowing that what you are doing is going to the greater good. Things you could do are help with a walk/run, do clerical work in the office, answer phones, send out mailings, etc.

ALSO, the Cancer Society often needs people to help drive chemo patients to their appointments. And our Mental Health Association has a program that pairs up a volunteer with someone just getting out of treatment to be a friend/mentor. It requires going out to lunch or movie once a week with your "partner". If your city has a MHA they probably have that program, also.

And you can also volunteer to be a "friendly visitor" to someone in an assisted living home that doesn't have family. It usually requies a weekly visit but you probably would want to go more. You will make friends with the residents and they will be sooooo glad to see you. And maybe you could bring your Malt with you sometimes, too!

If your city has a Volunteer Center that is a clearinghouse for all volunteer agencies, you could start there and they could help you find volunteer opportunities. Believe me, you will feel so needed and it will change your life!!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I'm a stay at home Mom, too!
My oldest is in 4th grade and my youngest is 4. I like to scrapbook and it's something also that your little ones can help you do. My youngest loves to cut shapes out, pick pictures and stickers out to use. Great fun for the both of you! Next year I'll really miss my "little helper"!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Check out your local college or adult education sources. Take a class and learn something. Find out what you like to do....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by a2z@Sep 24 2005, 12:03 PM
Check out your local college or adult education sources. Take a class and learn something. Find out what you like to do....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102848
[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea..... I remember when I was first married, many years ago, and I wasn't working. I had just gotten my college degree but went to one of the universities here to take all the fun courses that I didn't have time for while pursuing a degree such as Italian, French, Ballet, Nutrition and Televison Production. What fun it was!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the great Ideas. I have a 2 almost 3 year old and a
4 year old. The 4 year old is going to pre-school through the school
for half days. I would LOVE to be able to volunteer to help out there
but can't with my 2 year old still at home.

I do crochet a little but I am not very good at it. I like to sew also but
am not very good at it and am noticing the material can get rather expensive.
I like to paint, not very good at it. I have just started planting flowers and
doing a little landscaping (there is a LOT i need to learn about that).

After listening to myself it seems like I like a lot of different stuff but
just ain't good at any of it. HMMMMM

I love to read aswell, my only problem is once I pick up a book I can't put
it down till I'm done. Are there patterns out there for clothes for our
furbabies????

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally posted by lethalfire@Sep 24 2005, 07:13 PM
I appreciate all the great Ideas.  I have a 2 almost 3 year old and a
4 year old.  The 4 year old is going to pre-school through the school
for half days.  I would LOVE to be able to volunteer to help out there

I do crochet a little but I am not very good at it.  I like to sew also but
I like to paint, not very good at it.  I have just started planting flowers and

just ain't good at any of it.  HMMMMM

it down till I'm done.  Are there patterns out there for clothes for our
furbabies????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103011
[/QUOTE]
i JUST PICKED UP A COUPLE CROCHET BOOK AT JOANNS. And i have a couple cute pattens if like them. Here is one of the girls, in one that I made and it was not that hard.. The pattern is free on line. I think I still have the web site..
Joann's also has lots of cute coat pattern, for dogs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
What about art or music lessons? I play the piano when I'm bored, but I want so very badly to learn the violin. That can be expensive though, unless you already have an instrument of some kind. But....painting without lessons is even more fun, and really cheap, and if you start painting one thing, and it morphs into something you didn't plan on, just stick a really long title on it and call it abstract, then if people don't understand your "work", well they just don't have the "vision" you do! (Sorry, I was once an art minor, and this is what I told myself)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by maltese momma+Sep 24 2005, 08:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lethalfire
@Sep 24 2005, 07:13 PM
I appreciate all the great Ideas.  I have a 2 almost 3 year old and a
4 year old.  The 4 year old is going to pre-school through the school
for half days.  I would LOVE to be able to volunteer to help out there

I do crochet a little but I am not very good at it.  I like to sew also but
I like to paint, not very good at it.  I have just started planting flowers and

just ain't good at any of it.  HMMMMM

it down till I'm done.  Are there patterns out there for clothes for our
furbabies????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103011
i JUST PICKED UP A COUPLE CROCHET BOOK AT JOANNS. And i have a couple cute pattens if like them. Here is one of the girls, in one that I made and it was not that hard.. The pattern is free on line. I think I still have the web site..
Joann's also has lots of cute coat pattern, for dogs

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103030
[/B][/QUOTE]
They are so cute! You did a great job!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I love, love, love exercising -- so I would highly recommend it. If you can't make it to the gym, you can always use exercising tapes at home. I enjoy jogging, using elliptical machine or biking. For me that take at least 1 hr per day!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts