Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:smcry:
As some of you know Dixie has had an ongoing problem with anal gland infections. Recently we cultured her and found it was a drug resistant bacteria. We treated her with antibiotics hoping she will finally be over this continuos cycle of infections. I waited some time and then had her glands re-cultured. This time it shows major infection again with mersa. :crying: !! The vet is recommending anal gland removal. I have tried for a long, long time to avoid this surgery, but it appears as if it is unavoidable. She is scheduled for next Thursday. I am so worried about it. Poor little sweetie.

Also, Lilly began on and off limping on her rear left leg this week. The vet diagnosis was stage three luxating patella. She is just turned one on 8/16! The vet wanted to schedule her for surgery, but I decided to try a holistic approach first [cosequin ds, fish oil, and metacam. Is there any chance this regimen will work? If surgery is the only solution I may as well have both girls in at the same time, so they will convalesce together [both being quiet and gentle with each other at the same time].

This is just too much. Poor little girls... Opinions? Support vet??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
So sorry to hear that your precious girls are having these problems. I hope they both go through surgery well and fully recover. :grouphug:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CloudClan!
Hopefully someone will chime in and give good medical advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Oh, dear. When it rains, it pours, huh?

If Lilly were mine, I would get a second opinion from an orthopedic vet. If he also recommends surgery, I would go ahead and get the surgery done since she is grade 3. When the knee constantly pops in and out it it causes arthritic changes in the joint. It also puts stress on other joints when Lily tries to compensate which can also cause arthritic changes in other joints. Bowed legs are a common result.

Medial Luxating Patella


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,915 Posts
OMG, I am so so so so so sorry. My heart breaks for you and your little girls. But I know they will be okay, just can't imagine what you are feeling :(. Is Lilly still limping on the cosequin? Is your vet an ortho doc? The only reason I ask, is that Kara had stage 4 LPs. We had no idea, until she tore her ACL, but the Ortho doc did not want to operate on her, rest and cosequin, did the trick for her. But your baby is only a little over a year, and if she is still limping, surgery probably would be best, like your vet said. But I defintely would seek out an Ortho doc, if he is not one already.

I agree having them done both at the same time, will be hard on you some ways (the worrying, while they are being done), but the recovery will be easier for you to tend to both.

I had Mia and Leo spayed/neutured at the same time for that reason. I know they are completely different operations then what your babies will be having.

I do know babies that have had LP surgery and did beautiful.

I feel so bad for all 3 of you, and will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,186 Posts
:thumbsup:
:smcry:
As some of you know Dixie has had an ongoing problem with anal gland infections. Recently we cultured her and found it was a drug resistant bacteria. We treated her with antibiotics hoping she will finally be over this continuos cycle of infections. I waited some time and then had her glands re-cultured. This time it shows major infection again with mersa. :crying: !! The vet is recommending anal gland removal. I have tried for a long, long time to avoid this surgery, but it appears as if it is unavoidable. She is scheduled for next Thursday. I am so worried about it. Poor little sweetie.

Also, Lilly began on and off limping on her rear left leg this week. The vet diagnosis was stage three luxating patella. She is just turned one on 8/16! The vet wanted to schedule her for surgery, but I decided to try a holistic approach first [cosequin ds, fish oil, and metacam. Is there any chance this regimen will work? If surgery is the only solution I may as well have both girls in at the same time, so they will convalesce together [both being quiet and gentle with each other at the same time].

This is just too much. Poor little girls... Opinions? Support vet??
I don't have any medical advice ... but, please know that you and your girls will be in my thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to you. I do think your thoughts to have both surgeries at once does seem to make sense.

I hope Dr. Jaimie (who is also one of our moderators) and Jackie might have expert and professional advice for you. Also, we have breeders here who might have excellent suggestions. Or, members who might have had similar experiences.

I think because you need an answer soon ... and, because it is a holiday weekend with some members on vacation, etc., ... maybe we can bump up your thread every once in a while so it doesn't get lost in the active topics.

Please give both of your girls gentle hugs from me ... their Auntie Marie. :tender:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,915 Posts
OMG, I am so so so so so sorry. My heart breaks for you and your little girls. But I know they will be okay, just can't imagine what you are feeling :(. Is Lilly still limping on the cosequin? Is your vet an ortho doc? The only reason I ask, is that Kara had stage 4 LPs. We had no idea, until she tore her ACL, but the Ortho doc did not want to operate on her, rest and cosequin, did the trick for her. But your baby is only a little over a year, and if she is still limping, surgery probably would be best, like your vet said. But I defintely would seek out an Ortho doc, if he is not one already.

I agree having them done both at the same time, will be hard on you some ways (the worrying, while they are being done), but the recovery will be easier for you to tend to both.

I had Mia and Leo spayed/neutured at the same time for that reason. I know they are completely different operations then what your babies will be having.

I do know babies that have had LP surgery and did beautiful.

I feel so bad for all 3 of you, and will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry, I just wanted to add, since Lilly is grade 3, to be careful with her on bare floors. I think they are more prone to injury at this stage, not to make you worry, but just sharing what happened with us. If you have bare floors, if you can, throw temp. rugs down, that do not slide. Hope I am not being a pain, I just remember all of this so well with Kara. Bless you.

And like Marie said, I am sure those who know all about this, will see this and lend their advice.

Many hugs!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Malts needing surgery. With the anal gland, take care of that so that it will not turn into cancer. Marsa is hard to get rid of. My mom didn't with her's and he ended up with cancer that got really large and almost covered the rectum. He was 16.
As for the patella. The dog is more comfortable after the surgery with activity. I had one dog with this and repaired it and she is doing really great runs and frolics with the best of them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it!! I'll try to answer some questions;

No, my vet is not an ortho. Maybe I should seek the advice of an ortho vet. I feel mine is a good surgeon, but not a specialist.

I have tile throughout my home. I do have some large area rugs, but mostly tile. There is far too much area to try to cover. Lilly hangs with me always, so I will try to carry her when going from one area of the home to another.

Now I am worried about the mersa in the home. I don't know how long Dixie has had it, or if Lilly and I have picked it up. Dixie sleeps in bed with me, is on the furniture, I hold her frequently. It can be everywhere. UGH!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,186 Posts
Sorry, I just wanted to add, since Lilly is grade 3, to be careful with her on bare floors. I think they are more prone to injury at this stage, not to make you worry, but just sharing what happened with us. If you have bare floors, if you can, throw temp. rugs down, that do not slide. Hope I am not being a pain, I just remember all of this so well with Kara. Bless you.

And like Marie said, I am sure those who know all about this, will see this and lend their advice.

Many hugs!!!!!
Christine, you have given EXCELLENT advice here!!!:tender:

And, this is what I meant about Spoiled Maltese members who might have experiences that help others who need feedback and advice. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,604 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry...finding out that BOTH your girls may need surgery at the same time must be so scary and upsetting for you. I'm sorry I dont have any medical advice for you but I can certainly sympathize. My Bailey also has problems with his anal glands having to be continuously emptied out so I am scared he will also have complications with this at some point.

I hope all goes well with your two girls. Keep us posted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,106 Posts
Please get in touch with member thach8. His Diamond has fully recovered from anal gland surgery and MRSA. In fact, thach8 just wrote a recent thread in this section of the forum. Please pm him.

Poor Dixie, poor Lilly. Poor Mommy!!! I pray all goes well for you and your 2 beauties.
xoxoxoxoxo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
i'm sorry your little ones are not doing well. i definitely advise you to get a 2nd opinion from a board certified surgeon for the luxating patellas. i had several very good vets give higher LP grades than the surgeon once i did a consultation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,543 Posts
Oh, dear. When it rains, it pours, huh?

If Lilly were mine, I would get a second opinion from an orthopedic vet. If he also recommends surgery, I would go ahead and get the surgery done since she is grade 3. When the knee constantly pops in and out it it causes arthritic changes in the joint. It also puts stress on other joints when Lily tries to compensate which can also cause arthritic changes in other joints. Bowed legs are a common result.

Medial Luxating Patella


I agree with Marj. I am all for holistic trying, but if it is something mechanical it does not work. If she is compensating with her other leg you can prepare yourself to have the other leg done too. They say that after having done one leg, usually one year later the other one has to be done. That happened with Alex. We hopped to avoid it but had to do it anyway. Your little one is only 1 year old so you might be able to avoid it. Alex was a lot older.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,433 Posts
So sorry to hear all you and your babies are going through :( Have you talked to Bonnie to get her opinion at all? I am afraid I have no experience with any of these to offer any advice. All the best to you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pm'd thatch8 . Hopefully they will get the message soon.

Being a holiday weekend there is not much I can do regarding a specialist for Lilly until Tuesday. I'll find one and get a 2nd opinion.

Haven't talked to Bonnie as there is not much she can do. The patella issue is a common issue for the breed. The mrsa is a problem that I need answers from a medical professional. In the research on line I have found that it can potentially be all over the house. I don't want Dixie to get worse or for Lilly or myself to contract it.

Thanks everyone for the help and well wishes. I will be sure to share what I learn just in case another fluff ends up with the same problem. It may save the next person from needless worry or may even help with the sanitation issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I decided to hold back food and water from Dixie on Monday evening [Midnight] and will call the vet first thing Tuesday morning to see if I can get her in on Tuesday for the anal gland surgery. She is not feeling well. The longer this is delayed, the worse it is for her and potentially Lilly and I.
I wonder why the vet didn't put Dixie on antibiotics when she diagnosed the mrsa [Thursday]? It seems logical to me that we would begin treating the infection right away rather than waiting post surgery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,319 Posts
Something that concerns me is, if I understood Diamond's Mom, the doctor matched the antibiotic to Diamond........some works really well with MRSA in a particular dog and the next dog it will not work for. You have to do some sort of test that will make it work for your baby. I wish you could get in touch with Diamond's Mom. Please ask your vet why she did not give antibiotics right off the bat. Look up all her post and read them......if you haven't already. I wish you luck, I know this is not any easy thing..........
 
1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Top