Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Bought our first greenie today

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  020202 
#1 ·
Ok,I was curious. As I was at Petsmart this morning I had to get one. Harley hasn't looked up since. He is enjoying very much. Can't help but think it could give the diarreha......does it? It's way better than a Kong for his attention.

#2 ·
I have never heard of them causing this particular upset....but all pups are different. Sisse doesn't like them so for her teeth we use a toothbrush with the toothpaste frozen to it. She loves that, we just have to watch her closely to make sure she doesn't get the bristles loose or a hunk out of the brush!!

#4 ·
The Greenie bones just make Peanut's poo a little green
No other side effects so far. The only thing is that you should be watching Harley while he eats the greenie, so the kong would be a better choice if you can't pay attention to him, for safety reasons. I actually shove the greenie into a kong spaceship so that he can't get to the very last piece of bone (I'm very paranoid about him choking on it) Glad he likes them!!

#5 ·
I do not have personal knowledge of this but did see horrible pictures of little ones having to have surgery because they are so hard to digest. I stopped giving them to Teddy the minute I saw this. I am not sure of the link or I would put it here.

Supposedly there are different kinds and some are more harmful than the others. They say they are very hard for the puppy to digest and they then cause obstruction in the intestine.

I don't want to scare you but be careful.

I will look for the site and see if i can't find it and post again.

#9 ·
When mine were eating Greenies they often threw up the yellow or white foam in the morning.... Since I quit giving them Greenies, this isn't happening... I don't know if it is related or not, but seems like the Greenies were causing this because sometimes there would be chunks of Greenies in the stuff they threw up.

#11 ·
I've bought them for Ruby Jean and she doesn't like them either. What else is good for them to chew on to keep tartar off of their teeth? I remember reading that rawhide isn't good for them - so I haven't bought those at all. I did order some of the Suzie's Tartar Liquid and it should be here anyday-I'm anxious to see how that works on my cats too! Ruby does love to chew-I just haven't found to many "chewable" things that she likes.

#12 ·
My neighbor who does rescue work and works for some vets (not sure what she does) was telling me about a yorkie that choked to death on a greenie last week. I guess it tried to swollow a chuck of greenie.

Just wanted to let you guys know about it. Watch your furbabies when they have greenies.

#15 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 23 2005, 09:02 AM
Bully sticks and rawhides can be given with supervision. Rawhide is only for dogs who won't eat chunks. Make sure it is American rawhide. One of my dogs likes the CET rawhide chews (not the petites). I only leave nylabones with them alone...not the edible kinds, the regular ones.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45620
[/QUOTE]

Lexi doesn't get bully sticks (GROSS!) or rawhides. I used to give greenies but she was getting too possessive of them so I've stopped giving them to her. She loves the dental nylabones. Those are the only ones she gets when I'm not around.

#17 ·
well, i posted that i'd got hold of greenies in england and dixie loves them.

BUT she has had an upset stomach since monday and can't hold herself for long, she's pooed on my rug and in the kitchen and is normally fully housetrained because she can't hold the runny poo.

i starved her for 24 hours yesterday and then started her on a small amount of chicken and rice (and she had a chew on a greenie) and she was crying to go out in the night, but had an accident all over the kitchen floor, plus she was wretching and throwing up. when i was cleaning it up i noticed that some was green in colour and i TWIGGED about this thread!

i defo relate it to the greenie as her poo has always been well formed! spoke to my auntie re dixies sis chip and she had them up in the night for the first time ever to be let out for a poo and to be sick: green bile!

NO MORE GREENIES FOR OUR FURBABIES!

#18 ·
I have found that Teddy loves to chew on his baby tooth brush...I change it weekly but he brushes his teeth daily. I put all natural tooth paste on it and he goes to town. Thinks it is the best thing after dinner.

#20 ·
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 24 2005, 03:24 PM
his baby tooth brush
Is this a regular infant toothbrush that you use? I'm afraid of the Greenies even though Izzy isn't wild about them. I'm wondering what else to give her to brush her teeth.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46069
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I am sorry it is a normal childs tooth brush. I started with the dog kind but it really was too tall for teddy. it also had two sides one with a bigger bristle base and one with a small bristle base. So, I got child toothbrushes. I think right now we have garfield but I do get all kinds as long as there are no parts that come off. I use the St Jon Natural Dog Toothpaste and Teddy just goes nuts for that. Makes me laugh really. My daughter laughs at me every time she comes because I do so many normally child things for Teddy. I laugh too but I don't intend to stop treating him just like my baby boy.

I also make sure he hits all his teeth at some point in the brushing either first or when he is done.

And Teddy says that Izzy must have perfect teeth cause she sure looks hot in every picture he sees.

S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.