Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided I would attempt to put Codi's hair in what I guess would be considered a topknot. Eventually I want to be able to put cute bows in his hair, so figured first get him used to the rubberband. My question is, how many times do you wrap the rubberband around? I did it twice because just once looked like it was going to fall out. Now I'm worried its too tight or that it'll be too difficult to get out later. I know I can just cut it, but is there something to use to do/use to prevent it from tangled?

Also, for everyone with boys, do you find it difficult to find cute clothes for them? I know I'm on the pickier side, and perhaps its because I've only bought one item of clothing, but I just can't seem to find a lot of boy-blue clothes. And I have quite a few placed bookmarked. I imagine that once I buy more clothes and get a better idea of how things fit and what not.

Well, I'm just kind of rambling. Nothing real important. Thanks for any input. Hope everyone has a great night/day/everything! :D :D :D

I tried taking a picture of him, but he was too embarassed and wouldn't sit still! I'll try again later! LOL

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Hey Wizzyb--

I have a male malt that I do topknots in and I went through some really bad bands (got them at Wal-Mart in the kids section) that made Toby's head sore. Finally, LadysMom told me about this site The Finishing Touch. I ordered 1000 bands for $7. They really are sooooo much better then what I was using and Toby seems to like them much better. In fact, I really don't think they bother him.

As for how many times I wrap the band around his hair, well that depends on how much hair you gather up. I like to take a medium amount, so the band goes around three times. That is a really good question though, because I have often wondered how many times others wrap the band around.

Sometimes I can tell when I have wrapped the band too tight because Toby 1.) looks odd and 2.) he rubs his head into the carpet. I am sure that it will take awhile for Codi to get used to the rubber bands, but in the meantime try to loosen the hair by using the tail end of a rattail comb and pulling some of the hairs loose. That should relieve some of the tension.

I also dress Toby and find it very hard to find "manly" clothes. If I do find something, it is usually so expensive that I refuse to buy it. Toby is almost 2 and in the year and a half or so that we have had him, I have managed to get a collection of clothes for him though. Some of them are considered kind of feminine, but I guess that comes with the territory of have a Maltese and a male at that. If you are interested in where I got some of his clothes, PM me and I'll share it with you.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
for daily pigtails, i put buttercup's hair up in the tiny terrycloth scrunchies from the target baby section. those are easy in, easy out. when she's going to be seen in public, we do regular bands. LOL. what i do to make band removal easier is to dip each rubber band in some conditioner (i mostly use the CC ice on ice spray) so that it doesnt dry as quickly after being stretched out, and thus, pull hair out with it. using ice on ice or other silicone-like substance is my personal preference because it usually allows the rubberband to slide right off without pulling or knotting.

as for manlier clothes for codi... have you checked out this winter's collection at petsmart?? lots of corduroys and denims, very "boy" (of course, the other side of the display is all pinks and purples and fluffy trim, but i digress...). wagwear puts out some very nice manly cableknits, as does anguswear (though i havent seen much of them around recently). check target, too, they have some nice manly clothes for our little ones

pics of codi, please

ann marie and the "ooooh i like me those manly men!" buttercup

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I also have a boy who is now almost 2.5 yrs old. Other than the groomer putting in bows, I don't use bows on a daily basis, mostly because I am not all that crazy about how they look, plus the inconvenience. I do put in topknots and that Miko got used to fairly easily. I think the number of times you twist the band may depend on the band. I use this little infant type bands and so I only need to do it twice or so. As far as clothes, I think you just need to shop around. Miko has some cute sweaters and jackets he wears when its cold outside. I had to look around to find the best prices. I think you are in LA?? There are lots of doggy stores to shop around it

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I just love this site and their clothing...Chi•WOW•WOW! They have AWESOME manly clothes!

The only problem is that they sell wholesale and I have contacted them to find a retailer and no one they gave me contacted me back!

Has anyone found these items anywhere?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The number of times you wrap it depends on the size of the band and how much hair you have collected. In general, I do it two to three times. There are some teeny bands that can do with once.

I usually get blue bows or sporty bows for my boys. My boys don't wear clothes
They hate it anyways. I find I buy a lot of clothes but they just sit there. My kids are usually in fully coats and the clothes messes that up. Cookie is the only one that tolerates sweaters.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I can't help you on the top knot because we keep Indy's hair short on top...Daddy doesn't want bows in his little guys hair
But for clothes I have found sweaters, sweat shirts, pj's etc. at Petedge.com for really good prices and they are manly too
Also J-B wholesale has some decent things in their latest catolog, they have a coat I want to get Indy for fall

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 9 2005, 11:57 PM
I just love this site and their clothing...Chi•WOW•WOW!  They have AWESOME manly clothes!

The only problem is that they sell wholesale and I have contacted them to find a retailer and no one they gave me contacted me back!   

Has anyone found these items anywhere?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107986
[/QUOTE]
Oh! I like there carriers. Not sure if it would work for the girls though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Lady's mom I am going to be in sooo much trouble now that you
posted that website. It looks like the x-small size might even fit
Cosmo.

I just need to find some sewing patterns and learn to sew better.
Hubby might kick me out if I start going too crazy lol.

Nicole: Warning Warning :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl:

DO NOT CLICK ON SITE!!!!

Get out while you still can. I can already see you buying another dresser for
Toby.

Last Warning: DO NOT ENTER.....DANGEROUS SITE FOR MALTESE LOVERS!!!

I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Hey, I already got Nicole hooked on Barkindogclothes! The golf shirt was inspired by Toby and his golf bow! Poor Nicole, every time she orders a bow, I tell her to check out the shirt that matches on Barkindogclothes!

It was one of the first websites I posted when I joined SM a year ago.....

Rena is just wonderful to work with. If you have trouble fitting Cosmo, you can give her his measurements and she will custom make clothes for no extra charge. I have even sent her fabric to make dresses specially for Lady.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow, sounds great! I will probably definitely be placing an order soon.

So much cute stuff on there. After looking at all the dresses, I envy all
you female owners now. But I still and always have preferred males.
Don't know why I am just goofy like that I guess.

I also forgot to mention earlier they seem to be very very reasonably
priced. I haven't checked the shipping prices yet but I will find out soon
enough I am sure.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Also, www.fufufashions.com has a whole link for little boy clothes. Oh and about the bands, did you guys get the latex ones? Kylee has really really thin hair on the top of her head and I always find that to keep the topknot up I have to wrap it a lot and then it seems like its too tight. I;ve been using these bands I got at Sally Beauty Supply, they are all different colors. I dont know what material they are but I dont think I like them. Thanks guys

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by lethalfire@Oct 10 2005, 10:50 AM
Wow, sounds great!  I will probably definitely be placing an order soon.

So much cute stuff on there.  After looking at all the dresses, I envy all
you female owners now.  But I still and always have preferred males.
Don't know why I am just goofy like that I guess.

I also forgot to mention earlier they seem to be very very reasonably
priced.  I haven't checked the shipping prices yet but I will find out soon
enough I am sure.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108039
[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, the shipping is free in the US!!!!!

And you're not goofy. I love male dogs, too. Lady is a rescue so she is "potluck", but I'd love to have a little boy someday.

That why I get so excited about "helping" people dress theirs!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
in case anyone was wondering (probably not anyone at all, actually LOL), if you're looking for cute t-shirts for boys, try t-shirts from build-a-bear workshops. i have a baltimore orioles (NEXT YEAR, BABY! NEXT YEAR!!!!) t-shirt for buttercup that she wears on gamedays. she also has an indians one (well, i DO work for them, LOLOLOLOLOL) but she wears that one...less often... LOL i havent tried many of their other clothes, but the t-shirts work pretty well for a buttercup. and they're only like $6, i think

ann marie and the "build me up" buttercup

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yes, Barkindogs does have some really great clothes and I think the prices are great also
I bought some doggie clothes hangers from Petedge on my last order so I could start hanging up Indy's stuff
I love it when he has his PJ'S on
He isn't too thrilled with wearing clothes, but I am working on it

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions!

I actually ordered a sweatshirt from barkingdog and I told her the measurements since Codi is in-between sizes and she said that she would make it to fit him especially! I thought that was incredibly nice and totally unexpected!

Also going to try the conditioner on the bands and see if that helps... once Codi settles down. He's in his "crazy phase" ... running all over and not sitting still. Hopefully I'll be able to get a picture then. If not, definitely when he's wearing his new clothes!

I got to find a pattern for the sweatshirts ... every JoAnn's I go to doesn't have it in stock! I know there's a book also, has anyone used it? (Sew Dog, I think) It would so awesome to be able to make clothes and matching bows for him! My Mom used to make all my Barbie and American Girl clothes, so I'm sure this will be no problem for her! She was excited when I suggested it to her... I think she misses having a reason to sew! (she also used to make my dresses until I thought it was "uncool" ... yes, I'm a dork lol).

Also, Ebay has quite a few good items listed... just a matter of finding the best price! Boy, this is addicting! I know soon Codi's going to have a bigger wardrobe than me! HA HA HA! My parents think I'm nuts every time a new package comes in for me ... espcially my dad. oh well!

Well, thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions! Hope everyone has a great day!!! :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts