Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be a first time pet owner and I am torn between choosing a female or a male Maltese. I would get a male but i'm concerned mainly with pee cleanliness. I've spent many hours reading on pee problems for both gender on this forum. I'm also in a pickle because I already paid a deposit for a male Maltese (June 2022), but i'm having doubts now since researching on best ways to keep them clean... I keep going back and forth between a female and a male, and it's causing me a lot of stress. I don't know why it's so hard...

In conclusion, it seemed males had far more problems with getting pee on themselves (tummy or front legs). I saw suggestion to leave the penis hair trailing so it helps stream go downwards (not sure if this works for every case). I've also seen suggestion to use proline self rinse shampoo to wipe off the pee after every session (I can see this being the easy solution for short hair boys).

I had couple questions that might help me stay on a decision:

1) I am interested in the long coated Maltese look and was wondering how much work it is to keep a boy with long hair clean for those who pee on themselves? Also including pee "splatters" where the pee splats onto fur. I'm thinking males will have more of this problem because the distance between private part and the ground is greater for the boys so the "splatter" would be more of an issue. I feel like for females, if they managed to get pee on themselves, it would be more "contained" and thus easier to clean.

2) I've also read that even neutered, boys get excited and can ejaculate and or show "lipstick". How often does this occur?

3) Are female Maltese just generally cleaner?

I feel like everything from research, I should be choosing a girl. But I don't know why, in my head when i'm dreaming of interacting with my pup, it's a "he". Probably because the name I chose for my would be pup is a boy's name... But I think in the end, cleanliness might be more important to me...

Any input to help me decide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
The male dogs I have had, Maltese and small mixes, have been kept in fairly short coats (or are naturally short coated). That said, I did not notice them getting urine on themselves.

For me, the issue with males is more about leg-lifting and marking. Even one I got as a very young puppy and had neutered at 5 or 6 months became a marker eventually, when I brought in another dog, a female, that didn't like him. He even marked my sofa cushions because she got up on the sofa. A couple others I got as intact adults {and then had neutered) did lift their legs inappropriately in the house, but that was more housebreaking problems than marking. I suspected that was why they ended up in shelters.

As a first time dog owner, you might find a female to be easier in those regards. They are often harder to find, but it might be worthwhile for you to wait.

Some people say males are more affectionate, but the females I have had have been quite affectionate.

I hope the breeder you get your dog from will give you lots of advice about grooming and general dog care and health care.

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
173 Posts
I will be a first time pet owner and I am torn between choosing a female or a male Maltese. I would get a male but i'm concerned mainly with pee cleanliness. I've spent many hours reading on pee problems for both gender on this forum. I'm also in a pickle because I already paid a deposit for a male Maltese (June 2022), but i'm having doubts now since researching on best ways to keep them clean... I keep going back and forth between a female and a male, and it's causing me a lot of stress. I don't know why it's so hard...

In conclusion, it seemed males had far more problems with getting pee on themselves (tummy or front legs). I saw suggestion to leave the penis hair trailing so it helps stream go downwards (not sure if this works for every case). I've also seen suggestion to use proline self rinse shampoo to wipe off the pee after every session (I can see this being the easy solution for short hair boys).

I had couple questions that might help me stay on a decision:

1) I am interested in the long coated Maltese look and was wondering how much work it is to keep a boy with long hair clean for those who pee on themselves? Also including pee "splatters" where the pee splats onto fur. I'm thinking males will have more of this problem because the distance between private part and the ground is greater for the boys so the "splatter" would be more of an issue.

2) I've also read that even neutered, boys get excited and can ejaculate and or show "lipstick". How often does this occur?

3) Are female Maltese just generally cleaner?

I feel like everything from research, I should be choosing a girl. But I don't know why, in my head when i'm dreaming of interacting with my pup, it's a "he". Probably because the name I chose for my would be pup is a boy's name... But I think in the end, cleanliness might be more important to me...

Any input to help me decide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
I have a 2 yr, 3 month old neutered male. It is very difficult to keep him clean. He was neutered exactly at 6 months and only now at 2 yrs old started hiking up his leg to pee. I usually wipe him after every potty run so it’s not so bad. Our groomer says it’s better to keep the hair longer on his genitals for streaming purposes but I don’t feel like it helps. I prefer to keep it trimmed up. Keeping his belly hair short higher up towards his chest helps out also. Not all the way up obviously but slightly further than just the genital area. I’ve never had a girl but I’d guess they probably have their own issues. Just to name one, that time of the month is much different for dogs than it is for us. My cousins keeps a diaper on his girl the entire 2-4 weeks and says they go into heat 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
173 Posts
Spaying a female eliminates that problem, along with the potential problems of uterine infection and mammary cancer.
Yes your exactly right but some don’t want to go that route so they have all the other things to consider. Thank you for that reminder.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well when Cody was a pup I had no problem he hiked his leg so high the pee never got on him. Now in his senior years I wash his front and back legs almost every day. My Cody is affectionate And so is my girl Molly. Both are sweetie delicious! Either your choice I am sure you will be happy! These pups are soooo loyal and lovable!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts