Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have any issues with growing prissy out except breakage in the whiskers and top knot. I tried to band the whiskers but It looked like it was causeing more breakage at the band. I know I need to get one of those bowls to keep her hair out of the water. I dont know how much that will help she licks her lips alot so I think she chews on her hair. ok Now the top knot she has breakage on the sides. I know that if you bring the side part in more than you normally would that way if hairs break and you put up a proper top knot they will cover the broken hairs. Now the cause of the breakage is her rubbing. It isnt a topknot too tight issue its a prissy personality thing. She likes to rub her eyes and head with her paws. Does that make sence? Here are my ?'s

how else can I protect her whisker hair other than banding? BTW not enough hair to really wrap.

Besides moving the part which I'm doing what other options are out there. I attempted to put papers in her topknot and it never works out right I havent gotten it down.

The bands I use are med weight do you think I should change to light weight?

Ok yall are sick of me talking about hair I'm sure Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sorry I can't help but to totally understand the top knot breakage problem. Bijou does the rubbing with his paws. OK it is cute but the breakage is awful. I put the All Systems Gel on his top knot but then he pulls the hair down in clumps. I would also like to know the solution for this.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Sarah, other than banding it sounds like you are doing all you can to prevent Prissy from breaking her hair. Putting end papers in the top knot is pretty easy it just takes a little practice. Also, when you remove the elastics are you just pulling them out or are you cutting the bands? Pulling the elastics out of the hair can cause breakage. Although I am guilty myself. I know what you mean about our babies dragging their beard and mustache and breaking the hair. Sassy is guilty, but I figure that she puts up with all that hair that I can put up with her dragging it around. Prissy is beautiful like she is, why not just let her be and not worry about the breakage that she causes just by being......Prissy!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sassys mom you make a great point. I really need to just practice the paper thing. I do cut bands not pull them out. I was looking at her hair when I was putting her in doubles for a fellow SM member to show them some tips and I think her beard hair is dry. I think the water is causeing it to dry out so maybe just changing the bowl will help and the beard staining may be reduced but that too. I consider Prissy to be a medium to fine silk and I have to be extra careful with it because it is soo fragile. I wish it was a bit heavier but I still love her even if she becomes bald from rubbing her face:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sarah, if you can make bows you certainly have the dexterity to manage the papers!

The papers help a lot with the breakage, but the the face rubbing is the worst. Lady hardly ever has breakage using the papers, but her allergies have really been bothering her the past few weeks with the leaves falling. She has been rubbing her itchy eyes on the carpet and now she has broken hair above her eyes, too.

BTW, I still haven't heard back from Sheila about the bowls. Hopefully, she's got her studio repaired and is off at a show. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Definitely you should be using light weight, thin bands.

If she rubs her face/eyes a lot, it would be worth taking her to an ophthalmologist to rule out a physical problem. Ectopic lashes often cause irritation and face rubbing is a common symptom.

I don't part the top knot in the same place every day. I do it slightly different each time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts